Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Zeiss 35's
  
 
Mathieu18
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 35's


Assuming you didn't NEED f/1.4 and price difference was irrelevant... which would you keep / prefer...

Contax 35mm f/1.4 or Zeiss Classic 35mm f/2, with the benefit of EXIF...



Mar 12, 2017 at 03:01 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 35's


The classic 2/35
Sharper and better flare control.

Zeiss own MTF show it much better in the outer field at mid apertures.

The Contax has a lovely soft look at f1.4; but for use at other apertures the 2/35 is smaller, better and more convenient.



Mar 12, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 35's


I would take the Contax as I much prefer the rendering. It is also very hard for me to assume I didn't need f/1.4 as I like f/1.4 for 35mm portraits quite a bit and about 1/3 of my shots are at that aperture. I actually think the decision between the two lenses is pretty easy. For me, the Contax for portraits and the classic for landscapes (although I would prefer the ZM f/1.4 for that).


Mar 12, 2017 at 03:48 AM
johnahill
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 35's


For what body?
If we're talking DSLR lenses I had Zeiss 35/2, Sigma 35/1.4, Samyang 35/1.4 and Canon 35/2IS

I battled with the Zeiss and the Canon for a while and the canon was so good I sold the rest. Optically it's up there with the zeiss but with a bit less character maybe but adds AF and IS.



Mar 12, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Mathieu18
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 35's


A7RII. Sony 35/1.4 doesn't really interest me, I like MF.


Mar 12, 2017 at 02:21 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 35's


Mathieu18 wrote:
Assuming you didn't NEED f/1.4 and price difference was irrelevant... which would you keep / prefer...

Contax 35mm f/1.4 or Zeiss Classic 35mm f/2, with the benefit of EXIF...


I like both.... 1.4/35 & 2/35. I use them for specific scenes.




Mar 12, 2017 at 04:27 PM
AmbientMike
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 35's


Never used either, but my opinion this morning, 1.4 sounds good if you need it, and either is probably good enough stopped down.

I know you said you don't need 1.4, but you might, at some point.



Mar 12, 2017 at 04:29 PM
mortyb
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 35's


C/Y all the way. A more relaxed, subtle look even at f2 and smaller.


Mar 12, 2017 at 05:14 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 35's


I owned the C/Y 35/1.4 for awhile and used it on my A7ii. I found it to be too soft for my liking. It never gets really sharp. However, that same quality also makes it very good for portraiture, which some find highly desirable. So, if you fall into that category, the C/Y would be the lens to keep.

Rob



Mar 12, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Mathieu18
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 35's


Rob I think you kind of hit it on the head. The C/Y draws great, but never really gets sharp sharp. The Classic f/2 seems to start sharp from f/2. It draws similarly to the Ultron 35/1.7 many people love and trades size for better corners w/o...

Doesn't help me decide at all, but identified the dilemma...

Happen to have the Loxia 35 currently that I don't care for, but might have to do a Part II 35 comparison at AdaptedLenses.com. Anyone have a Canon 35 IS to toss in?

robgo2 wrote:
I owned the C/Y 35/1.4 for awhile and used it on my A7ii. I found it to be too soft for my liking. It never gets really sharp. However, that same quality also makes it very good for portraiture, which some find highly desirable. So, if you fall into that category, the C/Y would be the lens to keep.

Rob




Mar 12, 2017 at 08:38 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 35's


Mathieu18 wrote:
Rob I think you kind of hit it on the head. The C/Y draws great, but never really gets sharp sharp. The Classic f/2 seems to start sharp from f/2. It draws similarly to the Ultron 35/1.7 many people love and trades size for better corners w/o...

Doesn't help me decide at all, but identified the dilemma...

Happen to have the Loxia 35 currently that I don't care for, but might have to do a Part II 35 comparison at AdaptedLenses.com. Anyone have a Canon 35 IS to toss in?



A 35mm lens/camera that does portraits well is the RX1. It is significantly sharper than the C/Y 35 but renders very nicely. So if you already own an RX1....

Rob




Mar 13, 2017 at 04:33 PM
carlitos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss 35's


Mathieu18 wrote:
Assuming you didn't NEED f/1.4 and price difference was irrelevant... which would you keep / prefer...

Contax 35mm f/1.4 or Zeiss Classic 35mm f/2, with the benefit of EXIF...


You didn't ask this question, but just FYI...

I have both the ZF 35/2 (Classic) and the ZF 28/2. I think they draw very similarly, and are similarly sharp. Both have lotsa "pop".




Mar 13, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Mathieu18
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss 35's


I guess I technically do, had one for 3 days but didn't MF, sent it in for a warranty repair, but I don't believe that's repairable. I'm uncertain about a RX1 though. Brilliant output but a bit clumsy to use, and a RX1RII is out of the question.

Guess I'm going to take a further look at the ZE 35/2 and Sony 35/2.8 against the C/Y and the Loxia. I do love some of the shots I see from the 35/2.8 so I hope that surprises instead of disappoints. If all else fails I'll probably go back to a RX1 and deal with the interface.

robgo2 wrote:
A 35mm lens/camera that does portraits well is the RX1. It is significantly sharper than the C/Y 35 but renders very nicely. So if you already own an RX1....

Rob





Mar 13, 2017 at 09:16 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss 35's


I would choose by application.

For whatever reason, I prefer the natural contrast and saturation and sharpness and tonality of the CY 35. It's also one of the easiest MF lenses to quickly MF. I could shoot dogs WO at 1.4 and actually trust the peaking.

It's one of my favorite lenses ever. I recently sold mine and truly miss it. If you want a biting sharpness, it's not your lens. If you want decent sharpness with some personality and fabulous color and personality, it's unmatched IMO.






















Mar 14, 2017 at 01:15 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss 35's




robgo2 wrote:
I owned the C/Y 35/1.4 for awhile and used it on my A7ii. I found it to be too soft for my liking. It never gets really sharp. However, that same quality also makes it very good for portraiture, which some find highly desirable. So, if you fall into that category, the C/Y would be the lens to keep.

Rob


i assume you mean never gets really sharp in the corners? a good copy should have no trouble outresolving the a7rii sensor over the middle half of the frame wide open. the corners never get great though.

i'd definitely pick the c/y for general use, which isn't any larger than the ZE 35/2, but would choose the ZE for strictly landscape and urban shooting.



Mar 14, 2017 at 03:35 AM
LexG213
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss 35's


Jury is still out on the Loxia for me, but I'd like to give the native mount another go ; ) Nothing has been able to convert me from the sweet sweet focus and versatility of my adapted Voigt 40 f2 Ultron.


Mar 14, 2017 at 10:24 PM
roofdweller49
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss 35's


Why the C/Y 35 1.4 and not a ZF ?


Mar 16, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Mathieu18
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss 35's


Aside from it's mass, I already have the Contax... no real reason I could t switch though.

roofdweller49 wrote:
Why the C/Y 35 1.4 and not a ZF ?




Mar 16, 2017 at 06:20 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss 35's


sebboh wrote:
i assume you mean never gets really sharp in the corners? a good copy should have no trouble outresolving the a7rii sensor over the middle half of the frame wide open. the corners never get great though.

i'd definitely pick the c/y for general use, which isn't any larger than the ZE 35/2, but would choose the ZE for strictly landscape and urban shooting.


The copy that I had was soft in the mid-zone as well. Perhaps I just had a lemon, but fortunately, I was able to return it (with some difficulty.)

Rob



Mar 16, 2017 at 07:52 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss 35's


robgo2 wrote:
The copy that I had was soft in the mid-zone as well. Perhaps I just had a lemon, but fortunately, I was able to return it (with some difficulty.)

Rob


a good copy of the c/y 35/1.4 should be sharp over the central and midzone at near to mid distances, but does have a midzone dip at infinity.




Mar 17, 2017 at 02:18 AM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password