Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Friend of mine developed Alzheimer's sometime ago. His wife asked me to sell his gear. I'm a canon shooter. He virtually has a closet filled up with Nikon stuff. I only took 3 items so far and tried to locate all original boxes, receipts, etc...I need ball park figures on these please.

1-Nikon D4 bought in 2015. Shutter count? estimate less than 100K? Also the CF card slot has a damaged pin. He has been using other slot. Camera looks pretty good. Includes box and all items according to literature.

2-Nikon 800 can't find receipt. Includes box and all items. Shutter count?

3-Nikon 600mm f/4G ED AF-S -Bought in 2010. Includes softcase. Looks to be pretty clean and was totally repaired about 9 months ago as he dropped it from about 2 feet. I believe he paid close to 2K for repair. Lens fully functional now.

I just don't have any idea what to ask as the prices are really variable on ebay. Thanx.

Mar 11, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Nikkorman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Check KEH or Adorama selling prices and start around there. Ideally you should be able to get slightly more than what they are selling for.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Have you searched the b/s board here? I would think you could answer your own questions if you would do some searching here as well as the solds on eBay.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Very little on b/s regards 600mm. Will check past auctions ebay, keh, adorama. Thanx

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Nikkorman wrote:
Check KEH or Adorama selling prices and start around there. Ideally you should be able to get slightly more than what they are selling for.

I wish I could get Keh prices for stuff.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Nikkorman wrote:

Those places give about half of actual value. BEST plan is to look at ebay completed auctions. Take into account condition, and whether the completed sales come from inside or outside the U.S.

Kent in SD

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:45 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

off of memory on recent b/s postings:
1) d4 w/ +150k actuations for ~$1500 +8 condition w/ normal wears.

2) d800 w/ 30k actuations for roughly the same price in 9 condition.

3) 600/4 g vr; i have seen pricing as low as $5800 for a 4 yrs old lens in 9 condition w/ no signs of wears on body other than wear on mount (no brassing).

with the intro of the e-version, used prices on the 500 & 600g have dropped significantly (4500 for the 500 in 9 condition).

gd luck w/ sale

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:50 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

just saw a posting of ~1200 for a d800e with ~66k actuations (e version has no aa filter as compared to the d800, thus original msrp of 3200 as compared to 2900 for the d800).

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:01 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

jjoejr wrote:
Friend of mine developed Alzheimer's sometime ago. His wife asked me to sell his gear. I'm a canon shooter. He virtually has a closet filled up with Nikon stuff. I only took 3 items so far and tried to locate all original boxes, receipts, etc...I need ball park figures on these please.

1-Nikon D4 bought in 2015. Shutter count? estimate less than 100K? Also the CF card slot has a damaged pin. He has been using other slot. Camera looks pretty good. Includes box and all items according to literature.

2-Nikon 800 can't find receipt. Includes box and all items. Shutter count?
...Show more

Nice of you to help out, Joe.

I'd be wary of the pitfalls of this sort of good deed and cover your rear in how you handle this to avoid any misunderstandings or ill will with your friend. I'd define exactly how you're establishing fair value and stay consistent with it - perhaps even get her approval before you ship to a buyer. No good deed goes unpunished;

1 - determine how you're going to evaluate and rate the condition of each item. Use Adorama and B&H criteria as your guide. Shop their used departments and there's a pop up link over their ratings explaining the criteria for the rating. I would think the unusable CF slot would be a huge minus to a D4. If you have trouble moving it you may want to ask the wife if she wants to have it repaired;

2 - you say "shutter count?" a couple of times. There are several sites that use your jpeg upload from a photo you just took and they'll tell you what the camera says - e.g. http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/

NikonUSA infers the shutter lifespan at 400,000 clicks - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/dslr-cameras/d4.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

3 - you should take clear photos of each item for both the B&S ad and for documenting the item before you ship it, highlighting any dings or wear and displaying all accessories;

4 - I would follow KEH, Adorama and B&H to establish value. To me, Ebay would be a pain and less accurate;

5 - when you go to sell : validate the buyer preferably by feedback here on FM; pack the item super well and photograph the inside of the package before you seal it up; sell only within the continental US; speak to the buyer on the phone; document all details via email with the buyer before you ship; insure the item as if you never expect to see it again; ship express so the darn thing isn't sitting on a loading dock for days;

6 - remember that you're putting your reputation out there and handle it all accordingly.

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:01 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Thanx for info and links again. I got the shutter counts.

Mar 12, 2017 at 08:24 AM
RP3lks

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

For the actual shutter count go to: http://www.nikonshuttercount.com/ , and load a jpeg shot with the camera.They will give you the shutter count which you can then copy a screen image of for your ads.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:40 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

A Canon guy trying to sell Nikon gear (unless VERY well versed) is a
recipe for disaster. Chuck (nolaguy) nailed it. I'd wholesale the lot. Done.
PayPal charge backs are a bitch, buyers have 6 months to find fault with
gear you know nothing about. Don't say we didn't try and warn ya.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

This is expensive stuff, and if not careful could be leaving a lot of $$ on the table. Best bet is to take a lot of photos and post on ebay, starting price is half of probable value. Be sure to take photos of serial numbers so a crook can't switch a broken item with your working item. I'd wait until mid April or early May to list the stuff--that's when prices begin to rise for the summer. I've been buying and selling stuff on ebay for about 15 years now--thousands and thousands of dollars of stuff, bought and sold all over the world (except Nigeria.) I've not had any issues. In auction, the stuff will bring what it is worth. Ultimately worth is determined by what someone will pay for it when you are selling, and that's exactly what ebay is. I have also sold things here on FM and was happy with the result. I got a little less but considering ebay isn't free, the net amount I received was about the same.

Kent in SD

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:00 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help pricing Nikon Equip.

Good call outs by Kent on the serial numbers and by Will on the PayPal charge backs. I also forgot to say money transferred to your Paypal account (or better yet, her acct) before you ship.

You may also want to address the 6 month PayPal buyer's protection with your friend - all of the stuff we've addressed here in writing with her. 95% of the time if everyone is careful, thorough and on the up and up, sales like this go just fine... but particularly acting as a third party - communicate, communicate, communicate and document, document, document.

Spell out your exit strategy to her. For me that would include involvement up and till the item appears to be successfully sold. I would not promise I could help if the buyer complains to PayPal at month 5.

I'm sure Kent is right about the Ebay opportunity, but he's been on that circuit for 15 years and knows that game. I recommended other avenues because I would want this as simple and predictable as can be.

Last thought that if all this intimidates your friend and makes her nervous, tell her she can easily sell the gear to KEH, Adorama or B&H with zero risk but for less than half of what you'll probably get for it for her.

It's her call - and that's the point. Make sure she's clear enough on everything that she understands every single one of the decisions are hers, not yours.

And for that matter, show her this thread.

Good luck

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.