Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Chris_88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Sorry, this isn't about Sony branded gear, but since I mostly shoot Sony and use my tripods with Sony gear, I hope it's OK to post this topic here. I currently have a Manfrotto tripod, which is nice and light, but fully collapsed still comes in at around 60cm (24 inch), which is the limit allowed as carry-on luggage in domestic flights. Fitting it into my carry-on suitcase is always a pain too.

I'd something that collapses into a smaller package (well below 20 inch), while still providing adaquate length when fully extended (without the center column) and stability. Does anybody have any opinions/experience on the Gitzo Traveler 1545 and 2545GT tripods? May be alternatives? At this stage, I think about just investing in a Gitzo. I've gone through quite a few Velbon and Manfrotto tripods, which were good, but not perfect for my use.

With my a7rii, I only use lenses which weigh less than 1kg, but I also use a heavier Canon setup (DO II with extenders) for wildlife. I mostly handhold that setup, but want to be able to throw it on my tripod as well.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:11 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I have the Gitzo 1542T, which is the predecessor of the 1545. A fabulous, sturdy, easily-packable wonder. As long as its height suits your purposes, I highly recommend it.

But just get the Gitzo legs - get a Really Right Stuff ballhead. I use the BH-30 on the Traveler.

Here it is at Yosemite...

Gitzo Traveler does its duty at Yosemite

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

MikeEvangelist wrote:
I have the Gitzo 1542T, which is the predecessor of the 1545. A fabulous, sturdy, easily-packable wonder. As long as its height suits your purposes, I highly recommend it.

But just get the Gitzo legs - get a Really Right Stuff ballhead. I use the BH-30 on the Traveler.

Here it is at Yosemite...

Thanks, Mike. The Gitzo head that comes in the package (should I choose to get that) collapses between(?) the legs. Does this work for the RRS ballhead too? I still have a slightly banged up, but reliable Markins head, which I might continue using.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:28 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Chris_88 wrote:
The Gitzo head that comes in the package (should I choose to get that) collapses between(?) the legs. Does this work for the RRS ballhead too?

Not quite as neatly, but still good. (from the photos on the Gitzo site, it looks like the center column configuration is a little different than my old one, but I think it will work similarly.)

RRS BH-30 Head on Gitzo 1542T tripod

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:33 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Thanks, Mike. the configuration seems slightly different, with the 1545, the ballhead disappears completely between the legs.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:49 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

or buy RRS if you want actual customer service and top notch quality

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:52 PM
scrappydog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I have the GT1542T and the GT2542T. Both are about 17" with the legs spun around. Here's the skinny:
-- 1542 is a tiny bit shorter than the 2542 with the legs flipped around
-- 1542 is about 3.5" wide & 2542 is 1/4" wider -- in a backpack, it's noticeable
-- 1542 is noticeably lighter than the 2542, but both are light
-- 2542 is much beefier and stiffer
-- Due to the size differences, the 1542 is easier to transport
-- Both can fit inside a med-sized backpack (e.g., North Face Recon), but 1542 is easier due to the width
-- Legs fully extended with neck down, both are the same height
-- Legs fully extended, neck all the way up, 1542 is 3.5" taller than the 2542
-- Both are fairly unstable with the neck fully extended (I would imagine this is the case with all tripods)
-- Neither tripod has failed me, so I haven't had to call customer service (that goes for all 3 of my Gitzos)
-- Both have premium build quality and have held up well despite use over several years; Gitzos are top notch

I have shot both with super-telephotos (Canon 100-400 and Canon 400/5.6 on the 1542, and both versions of the Canon 500/4 on the 2542) and I have gotten great shots with both tripods. That said, the 2542 is a better platform for big lenses due to the additional stiffness (I use the Wimberley Head II).

Ultimately, it depends on what you want. If you want the most stable Gitzo travel tripod below 20" compressed, the 2542 (or 2545) is the one you want. If you want max lightness and portability, the 1542 (or 1545) is a really good tripod. I once shot the 1542 in strong winds and it was worthless. That said, my 3-series Gitzo Systematic was worthless in heavy Icelandic winds, so YMMV. In my recent trip to Paris and London, I was seeking to go small and light, I brought the 1542 with a light weight Markins head and it was the right call.

Mar 11, 2017 at 09:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I gave up on Gitzo quite awhile ago. I have been using RRS TVC-24L: Versa series 2, 4 sections/leg, long for a long time. From high end tech cams, medium format DSLR style, Nikon and Sony. Absolutely love their tripods. For a head I use a Arca Swiss Z1 DP flip lever. This head would hold just about anything. The real trick on tripods is you buy them for life. All the gear I have gone through this has not changed for about 7 years now.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-24L-Versa-series-2-4-sections-leg-long

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469925-REG/Arca_Swiss_801114_Monoball_Z1_dp_with.html

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM
rcarlton

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I use the Markins Q-Ball Q3i Traveler with my Gitzo. It fits between the legs. Maximum load is 65 lbs (30 kg).

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I have three different tripods that vary in how much stability I need and how much I am willing to carry. When traveling I take the Gitzo 0545 traveller, which is a four section tripod that tis in my carry on that fits under an air plane seat. I use an Area Swiss P0 ballhead with that. It is super light and can easily hold my A7rII and my lenses up to and including 90mm.
When I am not typically use a three section Gitzo 2545 explorer, which is my only tripod with a centre column. This centre column is offset and can turn in any direction. The legs of this tripod are also infinitely adjustable making it very flexible and excellent for macro. I use an Acratech GV-2 ballhead with this one.
But when I really need stability I use my Berlebach 2 section wooden tripod with a Manfrotto hydrostatic ball head. This one is rock solid and super easy to adjust with a levelling base and super easily adjustable the legs. I use this one in studio and when I don't have to carry it too far. It is heavy, but not that bad at about 7 lbs with the ballhead.

Like Guy said plan to get one (or three if you are like me) to last a lifetime. I change gear a lot but I have had these for a long time and have zero plans or desire to upgrade them or get anything different.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:16 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I would go for the RRS TQC-14: RRS

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:52 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Living in Japan, buying RRS becomes a very expensive investment. The official retailer charges a premium of several hundred bucks over the US price and I don't want to deal with customs, etc. Hence, I'd prefer a Gitzo.

Mar 12, 2017 at 04:59 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

And outside of the US the customer service of RRS is not really better than Gitzo. The quality of the Gitzo legs is very good, but I would stay away from their heads and use something else as suggested above.

Mar 12, 2017 at 06:36 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

The latest Traveler Series the Carbon Exact is stiff and stable. I have the 0545T and I don't have any complain with it yet.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:28 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

Another difference between these two is the removable feet shoe/rubber cap. One can easily replace them with spikes or similar in case of series 2 whereas 1545 won't let you do that.

Chris_88 wrote:
Sorry, this isn't about Sony branded gear, but since I mostly shoot Sony and use my tripods with Sony gear, I hope it's OK to post this topic here. I currently have a Manfrotto tripod, which is nice and light, but fully collapsed still comes in at around 60cm (24 inch), which is the limit allowed as carry-on luggage in domestic flights. Fitting it into my carry-on suitcase is always a pain too.

I'd something that collapses into a smaller package (well below 20 inch), while still providing adaquate length when fully extended (without the center column) and stability. Does
...Show more

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:55 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

nandadevieast wrote:
Another difference between these two is the removable feet shoe/rubber cap. One can easily replace them with spikes or similar in case of series 2 whereas 1545 won't let you do that.

I have both spike feet and claw feet for my 0545T. They have been tested on the field as well.

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:01 PM
brendans
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I use a 1545T with the center column removed for backpacking and love it. I'm using it with the RRS-BH25. If weight is a concern it's pretty tough to beat from a weight/performance/working height perspective.

Mar 12, 2017 at 03:29 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Gitzo tripod? 1545 or 2545?

I checked out the larger Gitzo 2xxx series and opted for the considerably lighter 1546T. Since it was rated for 22lbs more than met my requirements. I also rather enjoyed their new series of heads which in the past weren't very good. Now they are light and very tightly built with excellent action and smooth movement locking down tight as a drum. I love the very small size and almost undetectable weight. If you're schlepping stuff around it makes a big difference.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.