New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

f.hayek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

Already own a 21 and been thinking of adding one of the above for my Leica M9M.

Has anyone experience to comment on which of these new iterations is the optically superior?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2017 at 07:41 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

There are a couple of threads on just this issue.
To summarise, they are pretty similar centrally, the 12 keeps up quality to the periphery a bit better as you would expect.

Optically, the 12 is overall better. But damn 10mm is fun. And 12 is already very extreme - not a normal ultra wide length, so why not go the whole way?

Maybe you have used extreme wides before; but if not I cannot emphasise enough how much wider these are than 21. My 10 makes my 21 look like a tele! If you just want a lens much wider than your 21, but is a more *generally* useful FOV, and likely optically even better, you may be better off with a 14 or 15.

Mar 11, 2017 at 07:49 PM
MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

DavidBM wrote:
Maybe you have used extreme wides before; but if not I cannot emphasise enough how much wider these are than 21. My 10 makes my 21 look like a tele! If you just want a lens much wider than your 21, but is a more *generally* useful FOV, and likely optically even better, you may be better off with a 14 or 15.

This is *so* true. I have the 21 and the 12 and they're so far apart that I always feel like I still need something to bridge the gap!

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

the LTM/screw mount version of the 12mm, it will allow you to mount a filter adapter
another big advantage of the ltm is being so small

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

I know most ultra wide fans shoot landscapes but the new Voit 12, 17 TSE and 24 TSE lenses makes for a formidable architecture kit...

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

I'm more interested in which of the two distorts less and remains sharper into the corners. While a 12 isn't a 10, am willing to live with less coverage if the overall image quality is superior. The widest I had shot before was 14mm (Nikkor 14-24) and was always impressed at how well that lens performed at that FL. I don't expect this sort of quality from the CV's but owning a 21SEM, 15 may not be sufficiently different.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

If you want sharper into the corners, don't pick the 10. It gets fairly soft (gradual decline) by the time you get to the ends of the frame.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
If you want sharper into the corners, don't pick the 10. It gets fairly soft (gradual decline) by the time you get to the ends of the frame.

Good to know. I take it then that the 12 does the same but further into the edges?

Also, is the AOV difference that much greater with the 10 in real-world usage?

Mar 13, 2017 at 06:25 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtländer 10 or 12?

f.hayek wrote:
Good to know. I take it then that the 12 does the same but further into the edges?

Also, is the AOV difference that much greater with the 10 in real-world usage?

Fred uses the 12, and it's impressively even into the edges. The 10 does get softer into the edges, thoughat f9 it has really quite good quality: think a good legacy 24...

But yes the AOV difference is really very great. Which could be a reason for preferring either....

Personally I have the 10 for those moments when nothing is wide enough; for uktrawide but not crazy I prefer 14/15, but that's all just preference,

Mar 13, 2017 at 06:32 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.