Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · DIII Softball

crteach
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DIII Softball

Still getting the feel for the 300 2.8 I recently obtained. Used that and the 70-200 2.8 vII and shifted both lenses between the 7DII and 5DIII. See what you think.

7DII + 70-200 2.8 II Pretty heavy crop.

7DII + 300 2.8. Should have gone horizonal.

5DII + 70-200 2.8 II

5DIII + 300 2.8

Mar 11, 2017 at 04:28 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DIII Softball

Hi... not sure if you are looking for critique on the technical aspects of the lens/body or your compositions, but I will offer both.

1) Is this a heavy crop? Looks extremely soft online. Maybe it was a post-processing issue.
2) Not sure what's happening here. Is a play being made on the sliding runner? If so, the timing is off.
3) Not the most aesthetic part of the windmill motion.
4) No ball, or at least no ball that I can find, no peak action and unfortunately, even if there was, everything would be getting washed away by the background. Why did you feel this was post worthy? What are you seeing here that's making this a keeper for you?

Mar 11, 2017 at 05:58 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DIII Softball

Just a few thoughts ...

* I'm not sure of you are going to be shooting this field regularly, but man if so, you're going to need spend some time figuring out how to work around that yellow fence guard. Oy! That's going to be slicing through the heads of a lot of players in your images.. I can't see the whole field so it's hard to pose and suggestion but that's obviously an issue you need to address. In addition to he yellow bar this field seems to pose some background challenges. Never easy!!

* I shoot a ton of MiLB and it's tempting to think a 300MM can get the OF from the camera well. Even with a good crop it's just too far. Might want to try a tele or just spend in an inning or two closer to the OF and just shoot those players.

* Little non-demonnational blessing for baseball shooters as we start the season: May all your games be sluggfests and may all your umpires have illegally narrow strike zones. Nothing more boring in this world that a pitcher's duel.

Mar 11, 2017 at 06:02 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DIII Softball

P Alesse wrote:
Hi... not sure if you are looking for critique on the technical aspects of the lens/body or your compositions, but I will offer both.

1) Is this a heavy crop? Looks extremely soft online. Maybe it was a post-processing issue.

Yes, I mentioned it was a heavy crop. Doesn't look that bad on my monitor, but I don't have the eye that you do I'm sure!

P Alesse wrote:
2) Not sure what's happening here. Is a play being made on the sliding runner? If so, the timing is off.

Runner on first was stealing 2nd and the throw from the catcher was very late on this one. Using the 7DII + 300 made me feel that I had to go vertical to fully get the player in the photo, but then when the late throw came I couldn't get the base runner fully in the frame. Wishing I had the 70-200 on the 7DII for this shot to give me better leeway to frame things.

P Alesse wrote:
3) Not the most aesthetic part of the windmill motion.

Wanted to get the runner/1st baseman in the background. Certainly struggled with being on the shadow side of the pitcher, too.

You have me wondering what part of the windmill is considered to be the most aesthetic. I also wonder if what pitchers think looks good for photos is the same as what photographers think.....

P Alesse wrote:
4) No ball, or at least no ball that I can find, no peak action and unfortunately, even if there was, everything would be getting washed away by the background. Why did you feel this was post worthy? What are you seeing here that's making this a keeper for you?

Ball is in the glove of the center fielder (on the right). The first shot in the sequence has the ball just a few feet above the glove but it was definitely a missed focus. I thought enough of the ball was showing that it would be seen. This shows good hustle by both the left and center fielders.

Pardon me for not being more specific in my original post. I teach at this college and some of my students are players. Part of my goal in shooting is to get photos of them as an athlete and also as a student (I take photos of students working during labs, too).

This was my first time at this field so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of position. Every shot was through the fence.

The other part of my goal is to learn how to better use the gear I have. What I struggled with (in addition to not being a pro! ) is deciding which lens/camera combo to use. Obviously the 7DII is more the sports camera. But the 5DIII could get some shots, too (especially of players in the ready position as the pitch was being delivered). I wanted to play around enough to get a better feel for these cameras in this venue.

Going between the crop sensor and full frame sensor using either the 300 or the 70-200 was a lesson in positioning relative to the player I wanted to record. I know these won't win any awards, but I do appreciate input from others who are more proficient. It helps me think more about how to improve!

Edited on Mar 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2017 at 07:37 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DIII Softball

PureMichigan wrote:
Just a few thoughts ...

* I'm not sure of you are going to be shooting this field regularly, but man if so, you're going to need spend some time figuring out how to work around that yellow fence guard. Oy! That's going to be slicing through the heads of a lot of players in your images.. I can't see the whole field so it's hard to pose and suggestion but that's obviously an issue you need to address. In addition to he yellow bar this field seems to pose some background challenges. Never easy!!

Very true. And, the white bus from the visiting team parked behind left field added another dimension, shall we say?

PureMichigan wrote:
* I shoot a ton of MiLB and it's tempting to think a 300MM can get the OF from the camera well. Even with a good crop it's just too far. Might want to try a tele or just spend in an inning or two closer to the OF and just shoot those players.

I've also got the 100-400 vII but didn't bring it that day since I wanted to work more on the 300. Good advice that I'll keep in mind. Thanks!

Mar 11, 2017 at 07:41 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DIII Softball

crteach wrote:
You have me wondering what part of the windmill is considered to be the most aesthetic. I also wonder if what pitchers think looks good for photos is the same as what photographers think.....

Girls are never happy with any photos of themselves.

But as far as overall aesthetics...

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DIII Softball

Great shots, Paul! Appreciate seeing these. Your PP skills are very strong, too. I tried a few times to get the frozen ball shot but wasn't successful. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 12, 2017 at 03:41 PM
gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DIII Softball

Crteach,
My two cents.
If you want to improve on your images, you are going to need to specifically focus (punny) on framing, backgrounds, and peak action. Don't let the equipment distract you from that. If I were you I would out the 100-400 onto the 7dii for the whole game and work in the strength of the images. That lens will give you full field coverage and you can adjust your location for what you want to cover and improve backgrounds. From there once you get improved in mates and action, you can correlate focal length to location and field coverage and then sub I the other lenses to give you similar shots (location / coverage) but with the more shallow f2.8 dof.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:44 PM
sgursharan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DIII Softball

Excellent shots PAUL

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.