Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

elicious
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

...and one of them is the Batis 1.8/85.

What's the other lens? (price/size matter!)

Since candid/portrait fl is covered with the 85, I'm looking for something portable for street/walkaround.

Here's what I've considered:

Leica WATE: waaaay too pricy for me

Voigt 15/III: I spent hours (literally) reading the 71+ page thread on these and QC is horrid

Batis 18: maybe?

Batis 25: maybe?

Loxia 21: expensive, some QC issues

Sony 16-35: QC issues, size

Sony 35/2.8: not wide enough?

Sony 28: not wide enough? are optics up to the 42mp sensor?

Laowa 15/2: wait to see how these turn out?

Not really into "normal" fl, ie: 55mm.

I've shot FF off and on for years on Nikon/Canon but portability is one of the main reasons I'm trying out Sony since the glass offerings seem to be expanding. Would I be best served trying out a 16-35 for a while to see where my fl needs lie, in practice? I initially though this would be a good strategy but it's not a small lens so portability is sacrificed and I'd really like to carry the cam with me most of the time instead of "as needed" like when I have the larger Canon/Nikon larger body systems. I'd like to have a camera at the ready most of the time when I'm out that's mostly unobtrusive rather than having to invent excuses to go shoot with a more massive rig, y'know? I wanted the Voigt 15 but getting a good copy seems like a frustrating ordeal for many that have gone that route.

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Al B
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

I'm an old Nikon DSLR-
I purchased a used 21 Loxia and it's a stellar lens for quality &
size!

elicious wrote:
...and one of them is the Batis 1.8/85.

What's the other lens? (price/size matter!)

Since candid/portrait fl is covered with the 85, I'm looking for something portable for street/walkaround.

Here's what I've considered:

Leica WATE: waaaay too pricy for me

Voigt 15/III: I spent hours (literally) reading the 71+ page thread on these and QC is horrid

Batis 18: maybe?

Batis 25: maybe?

Loxia 21: expensive, some QC issues

Sony 16-35: QC issues, size

Sony 35/2.8: not wide enough?

Sony 28: not wide enough? are optics up to the 42mp sensor?

Laowa 15/2: wait to see how these turn out?

Not really into "normal" fl, ie: 55mm.

I've shot FF off and on for
...Show more

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:30 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

If you're not a 50mm shooter then you're most likely in the 35mm camp? It seems like a 35/85 combo would serve you well. You can't beat the size of the 35. However, I've come across at least one photographer that swears by the Batis 25/85 combo.

Personally, my fav focal length is 50, so I carry the Batis 25, FE 55, and Batis 85 which covers me from 25-135mm equivalent with cropping.

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:30 PM
htran1980

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

I am striving for the Batis 25/85 combo.

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:34 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Since you've shot full frame Canon and Nikon, I'd think you would already know what focal length you need for the type of shooting you like to do. Why not first narrow that down as right now you are all over the map from ultra wide 15mm to normal wide 28/35mm.

Personally for street my most used lens is either the 28mm or 35 2.8, both of which are plenty sharp for what I need and very light / compact which is important to me. I'd never just have a 15mm or even an 18 or 21mm lens as my only lens for street shooting.

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:35 PM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

chez wrote:
Since you've shot full frame Canon and Nikon, I'd think you would already know what focal length you need for the type of shooting you like to do. Why not first narrow that down as right now you are all over the map from ultra wide 15mm to normal wide 28/35mm.

Personally for street my most used lens is either the 28mm or 35 2.8, both of which are plenty sharp for what I need and very light / compact which is important to me. I'd never just have a 15mm or even an 18 or 21mm lens as my only
...Show more

Well, I have a friend who's shot with the Voigt 15 for years and swears by it, both for IQ (he got a good copy years ago) and size/weight. I admit that 15mm is MUCH wider than I'm used to, though.

On Canon/Nikon, I usually own their 24-70/2.8 offering and have tended to shoot closer to 24mm.

24mm doesn't quite seem wide enough sometimes for indoor wide-angle shots, which is why I'm entertaining the 18 and 21mm fl.

The Sony 28 and 35 seem nice due to size/weight/IQ but I'm not sure whether they're too wide to tickle my fancy. I'd rather spend $1000 on a lens that turns me on than a $400 lens that's "very nice" that sits in my bag.

Some of these lenses do also have an increased learning curve associated with them as they are MF and I have always been an AF guy.

I am leaning toward the Batis 25 (due to AF, weight, and IQ) but thought I might as well check in with the FM group-mind before I pulled the trigger.

Mar 11, 2017 at 02:57 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

I thought you were looking specifically for a street / walk around lens where I still think if you only had the 15mm as your only choice, you would quickly get tired of the images it produces. Ultra wide is a good thing to have in your bag...but being the only thing would quickly get old.

I have the Batis 25 and its a great lens for street.

Mar 11, 2017 at 03:08 PM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

chez wrote:
I thought you were looking specifically for a street / walk around lens where I still think if you only had the 15mm as your only choice, you would quickly get tired of the images it produces. Ultra wide is a good thing to have in your bag...but being the only thing would quickly get old.

I have the Batis 25 and its a great lens for street.

We should sell a "Magic f/8 Ball" that can produce results such as:

f/8 Ball!

Mar 11, 2017 at 03:29 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

FE 16-35/4

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

If I could only have two lens for my A7RII, it would be the Loxia 21/2.8 and FE 55/1.8 ZA.
It's not a complete kit by any means, but I know it would cover my needs very well. (Landscapes, portraits, travel)

Later on, I would add a ultra wide (My choice is the CV 12/5.6 III), a moderate wide angle (ZM 35/1.4) and a short telephoto (Batis 85/1.8, FE 85/1.8 or GM 85/1.4)

The quality control you mentioned is an issue for all lenses and all brands. I would test each lens for decentering (element tilt) upon arrival.

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:26 AM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

I'd go for the 16-35, it's a lens that does just about every landscape well

Mar 12, 2017 at 01:54 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Loxia 21mm for sure. Selling my 14-24 and will probably get this lens...

Mar 12, 2017 at 02:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

trogdon wrote:
I'd go for the 16-35, it's a lens that does just about every landscape well

I agree with that. If I could only have one lens and my main application was landscapes I would be happy with a good copy of the 16-35/4 ZA.

Mar 12, 2017 at 02:15 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Since you mentioned size, weight and price is an issue for me it's a no-brainer, I absolutely love my basic 5 lens kit but restricted to two it would be the latest version of the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 & the Batis 85. You have one already so just the Voigtlander to go

Since buying this lens it has quickly become one of my favourites, low PF and very low distortion, superb sunstars, very light (238g) and m mount so use the TechArt adapter if you require AF though usually I keep that in the bag and prefer the Voigtlander close focus adapter and MF it.

Phillip Reeve has an excellent review on his blog : https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

The 35/85 is a classic wedding photographers kit so you know what you're getting. I;d add the Loxia 21mm later when you are settled if you decide you'd like wider. Otherwise just use the 35mm and shoot vertical panoramas for wider scenes.

This is a 5 shot vertical panorama. Handheld and stitched in LR. The full-size version, before uploading, is absolutely pin sharp.

Mar 12, 2017 at 06:37 AM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Frogfish wrote:
Since you mentioned size, weight and price is an issue for me it's a no-brainer, I absolutely love my basic 5 lens kit but restricted to two it would be the latest version of the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 & the Batis 85. You have one already so just the Voigtlander to go

Since buying this lens it has quickly become one of my favourites, low PF and very low distortion, superb sunstars, very light (238g) and m mount so use the TechArt adapter if you require AF though usually I keep that in the bag and prefer the Voigtlander close
...Show more

Fantastic image!

Mar 12, 2017 at 06:45 AM
elicious
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Fred Miranda wrote:
The quality control you mentioned is an issue for all lenses and all brands. I would test each lens for decentering (element tilt) upon arrival.

I spent several hours in that Voigt 15 thread (literally!) and I have never seen a situation such as we have there: that the solidly performing (read: without corner smearing) copies of that lens were the exception and that many of those who posted had to exchange their copies 2, 3, 4, or more times before getting acceptable copies of the lens. You have tested 2 good copies out of 5 or 6 iirc (I lost track haha!), and one of those ("Choppy") belonged to another FM'er. Asserting that the CV15 having serious QC issues is not hyperbole. That said, I would love to try a truly good copy of that lens.

Mar 12, 2017 at 06:57 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Fred Miranda wrote:
If I could only have two lens for my A7RII, it would be the Loxia 21/2.8 and FE 55/1.8 ZA.
It's not a complete kit by any means, but I know it would cover my needs very well. (Landscapes, portraits, travel)

Later on, I would add a ultra wide (My choice is the CV 12/5.6 III), a moderate wide angle (ZM 35/1.4) and a short telephoto (Batis 85/1.8, FE 85/1.8 or GM 85/1.4)

Interesting -- I was under the impression that you were not a big fan of the FE55.

Mar 12, 2017 at 08:13 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Will you prefer 16-35 over Loxia 21?
As a landscape photographer?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree with that. If I could only have one lens and my main application was landscapes I would be happy with a good copy of the 16-35/4 ZA.

Mar 12, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

Parariss wrote:
Interesting -- I was under the impression that you were not a big fan of the FE55.

The 55/1.8 and GM 85/1.4 are my two favorite portrait lenses. The 55/1.8 is in my view, a lens that needs post-processing as a complement but I don't find that to be a problem.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Two lenses to go with your new A7R II...

nandadevieast wrote:
Will you prefer 16-35 over Loxia 21?
As a landscape photographer?

If I could only carry one lens. YES!

However, I usually carry a few lenses and therefore the Loxia 21 is my go-to landscape lens.

So, I have 12mm, 16-35mm, 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm. The 16-35 is mostly used at the widest range where it's superb but it's also very good at the long end stopped down a bit. I also use the zoom whenever raining, at the beach or in dusty environments where changing lenses is not ideal.

The 16-35 does not have the micro-contrast and colors (rendering) of the Loxia 21 or 50 but with the help of post-processing, I can pretty much get close to that look.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.