p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Here is coma at f/2 (1:1 crop)

f/2

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:48 AM
Vcize
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Looks like some fairly severe coma in the top right. Oddly more than in the top left.

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:51 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

I did not see any on the left but might have missed it. Right side yes.

Now let me ask is this pretty normal to other lenses in its class. I would think there are very few out there that don't have any at F2. So do we rate this average, above average or below. I'm just curious I rarely deal with Astro, it's a world all on its own. Also very serious one as well.

Not discounting it in any way but is this really a big deal if there let's say less than 20 in a frame. I could see many more as a big issue. But I'm kind of a workaround person, I'll find my way out of problems.

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Vcize
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:

Now let me ask is this pretty normal to other lenses in its class. I would think there are very few out there that don't have any at F2. So do we rate this average, above average or below. I'm just curious I rarely deal with Astro, it's a world all on its own. Also very serious one as well.

Not discounting it in any way but is this really a big deal if there let's say less than 20 in a frame. I could
...Show more

Against ALL lenses I would say it's above average.

Against lenses that are popular in the astro community there are really only two competitors that shoot at F2 in this FL range. The Nikon 20/1.8 which I would say the Firin is better than in this regard, and the rokinon 24/1.4 where I would say the Firin is a fair bit worse. So I guess 2nd in a list of 3 makes it average.

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

So certainly workable. That's a good thing plus it is a 20mm which looks to be a nice focal length for Astro

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:41 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:

Not discounting it in any way but is this really a big deal if there let's say less than 20 in a frame. I could
...Show more

I think it's no deal at all if you aren't doing Astro; a great sharp distortion free wide.
But I don't think the Astro community will be enthused. If you were doing Astro heaps it would be a bit of work, or else just not as good as the Rokinon.

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

I remembered the Loxia being pretty good regarding coma control at f/2.8 but could not find my test files.

So, I just took 3 quick shots with the Loxia 21/2.8 wide open and here is the right and left side of the frame from one of them. (Coma was very similar for all three images)

21mm, f/2.8, 13 seconds, ISO 3200

top left at f/2.8

top right at f/2.8

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Thanks Fred for checking

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:
Thanks Fred for checking

Thanks for your Firin 20 tests! I think it's a great lens capable of great resolution across the frame starting at f/5.6. The price is right! The Loxia has its advantages but it costs much more.
Tokina did a great job here and I hope they develop many more lenses.

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:19 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Agree Fred, I'm a little impressed how Tokina has pulled this off. It's good to see the 3rd party vendors do a good job. It's a alternative with great IQ. I'll keep adding images as I go. Hopefully more members will jump in. I still want to play around with some more tests like flare for instance.

Mar 17, 2017 at 05:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for your Firin 20 tests! I think it's a great lens capable of great resolution across the frame starting at f/5.6. The price is right! The Loxia has its advantages but it costs much more.
Tokina did a great job here and I hope they develop many more lenses.

---------------------------------------------

GMPhotography wrote:
Agree Fred, I'm a little impressed how Tokina has pulled this off. It's good to see the 3rd party vendors do a good job. It's a alternative with great IQ. I'll keep adding images as I go. Hopefully more members will jump in. I still want to play around with some more tests like flare for instance.

Yep thanks for this Guy; I'm not going to sell my Lox for it (sunstars mainly to be honest, flare maybe) but if I was buying from scratch I might well go this way - it's less than half the price here, and there will be a wide range of conditions, your tests show, where it'll be every bit as good (and I don't care much about coma in a 21)

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Bespoked wrote:
Same here, coma isn't an issue for me, the size and weight of this lens may be, does anyone have these two and can provide and image of it and the Loxia side by side?

How does the Firin balance on the 7RII Guy?

Here is a comparison on the A7RII:

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:03 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Balances really nicely but I'm not using that hood. I used 2 blank 62mm filter rings as my hood. Lot nicer looking . I'll take a shot of it. It's pretty light . 500 g I believe

Bespoked wrote:
Same here, coma isn't an issue for me, the size and weight of this lens may be, does anyone have these two and can provide and image of it and the Loxia side by side?

How does the Firin balance on the 7RII Guy?

Mar 18, 2017 at 05:24 AM
Vcize
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Bespoked wrote:
Actually doesn't look that much larger than the Lox.

Thanks Guy.

Hard to tell with the hoods but it looks like the Loxia hood is much longer. I think the actual lens is a fair bit shorter. Looks like the end of the actual lens wouldn't even go up to the aperture ring of the FIRIN.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Couple lenses lined up without hoods except the ZM 35. The 12mm as you can see when i dropped it

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:23 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

I do not consider this lens to be big at all and it does balance very nicely on camera

Weight is 490 g
Loxia 21mm is 394g
Batis 18mm is 330g
Sigma 20mm ART is 950g

Mar 19, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Parariss
• •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:
Couple lenses lined up without hoods except the ZM 35. The 12mm as you can see when i dropped it

Thanks for the comparison. Hoods do matter, though, especially with an open question with respect to lens flare, not just a matter of size. F2 is nice to have if there's no real downside, saving money is always nice, and some coma I can deal with, but if there's a significant flaring tendency that's a real concern for me.

Thanks for taking one or the team, but....life was so much simpler when the Loxia 21 was such a clear choice...ARRG!

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:08 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Remember that the Loxia hood goes inside the barrel quite a bit. So, it looks big from the outside but it's not that long after all.

Here is an image Phillip took of both lenses without their hoods: The Firin weighs 100 grams more.

source: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/our-photokina-highlights

Mar 19, 2017 at 04:58 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

I blew off theFirin hood as soon as I saw it. Nice idea a rectangle but think about putting in a bag in one of your lens slots and it's barely going to fit if at all. I just used 2 62 rings and it's just as effective. Anytime I'm shooting where the sun will be in the way my left hand does a far better job than a hood.

Mar 19, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Did you keep the Firin Guy?

Mar 25, 2017 at 06:09 PM
1       2       3              7      
       9       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       end