New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2017 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Well since no one bought one to show us any tests and reviews. I just took one for the team. This guinea pig stuff is making me old folks.

I should have some results up later in the week. I got it at Samys which I had a small credit so the pain was not so bad. But seriously I have been intrigued by this lens. I ignored some tests as it came from a ambassador so I was left at guessing at this. Will see if I got anything left in my guessing tank. There are a lot of wides lately and since I have a CV 12 and a ZM 25 I wanted something in the 18-20 range. I wish this was 18 but my ZM 25 with close up lens on it I think is more like a 27mm so I may have a good gap here . Plus I wanted something wide I can filter easy . This is a 62 does not look that big or heavy. The hood is questionable and I'll probably buy a screw in hood or make one out of blank 62mm rings. If it does not work out than I'll play that card later. Somebody had to try it. I could always go back to the Loxia 21 but the aperture ring really bugs me. The Batis 18mm honestly I'm not convinced and I hate the fly by wire in a focal length like this and it's intended purpose. YMMV on that one.

I almost went with the Zeiss 18mm ZM but I could honestly not get a read on it as comments where mixed.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:26 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Thank you, Guy! Please put me on the list of potentially interested parties WHEN you are ready to sell the lens in about a week or so but only if it performs though .

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

If you could check the flare resistance and astro performance I would owe you a beer

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Looking forward to your test results, Guy. Thanks!

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Thanks folk I will run those tests. I hope it works out . If not I'll try something else or go back to a known lens like the Loxia 21. These are my personal shooting lenses so no client per say.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:03 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:
Well since no one bought one to show us any tests and reviews. I just took one for the team. This guinea pig stuff is making me old folks.

I should have some results up later in the week. I got it at Samys which I had a small credit so the pain was not so bad. But seriously I have been intrigued by this lens. I ignored some tests as it came from a ambassador so I was left at guessing at this. Will see if I got anything left in my guessing tank. There are a lot of
...Show more

I have the Batis 18 as well as the Lox 21 (you think you're a lens whore?) and the Batis is just as great as the Lox despite being wider. Great lens. Of course it has different sunstars just like the B25 (nine blades/18 points), so if the Tokina doesn't work out....I think maybe there's a bit of variation out there with the Batis as some reviews like the lenstip one complain about relatively soft edges, which I just don't see (or else they are testing it with a chart quite close and not refocusing for the edges .. there's a little close field curvature, harmless in real life, which goes away at long distances)

Mar 11, 2017 at 03:43 PM
seanj
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing your results. FE 28 is my widest. I've rented the Voigtlander 15 and liked it quite a bit, but it's slow and my night street shots suffered. I tried the Rokinon 14, but I just couldn't get into it. The Batis 18 and Loxia 21 have been on my radar. But this Firin 20 was one I wanted to explore first. Fingers crossed for you.

Mar 11, 2017 at 07:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

I'll be real honest here I love the Loxia 21 but hated the aperture ring placement and size they screwed up the aperture ring needs to be bigger as far as height it's just to darn close in height to the focus ring. I have fat fingers so it's a real pain to operate. Batis 18 too many bad reports although I can blow them off but not having a hard stop bugs me . I had both the 25 and 85 great AF lenses but I need that feel when I go to manual focus. I'm old school grew up on manual lenses. This might solve both of those issues for me. I hope the lens has good focus feel. I'm betting it does, also I think given the special elements it maybe good across the frame pretty much wide open. It also could be good at Astro which I don't do much of but I do do some night shots and it has 9 blades so it could be good. For 800 bucks it's worth testing for me and the forum. I can always return it or sell it on the forum. Besides all that no one has given this a run either. I'm pretty good at that so hopefully we all learn from it. I'm very neutral on this stuff so at least you will get a honest opinion.

One thing to know I have the GM 24-70 for paid work so I can play all day long on these fun manual lenses as they are for me and not work. So my preferences maybe different than others but I'm very brutal on lens quality. So I figure this is worth trying.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:21 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

GMPhotography wrote:
Batis 18 too many bad reports although I can blow them off but not having a hard stop bugs me .

I can't agree with those reports. I find the 18mm Batis to be a great lens.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:31 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Yea Mike I kind of blew them off to be honest. You know me it's a reliability factor in who is testing. I know it's got the goods. It's up next if this don't work out.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:58 PM
goto_dengo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Terrific, thank you Guy! I'm looking forward to hearing what you find. I've been sort of holding off on a Loxia 21mm myself, waiting to see if the Tokina is worthwhile.

Mar 11, 2017 at 09:08 PM
omarccx
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Looking forward to your insights as I find the Loxia far too expensive for the limited use I would give a lens this wide.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Lens is coming today. Look forward to shooting it. Keep everyone posted on progress.

I think B&H did get some stock in.

Mar 14, 2017 at 06:21 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

They do

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281299-REG/tokina_firin_20mm_f_2_fe.html

Mar 14, 2017 at 06:23 AM
JDug
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Looking forward to your testing! I believe someone on Dpreview had a thread comparing the Tokina with the Loxia. It was maybe a month or so ago and from what I remember it was pretty good but didn't quite compare. Interested to see what you find!

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:37 AM
seanj
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Here's the review comparing the Tokina 20 with the Loxia 21: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4107594#forum-post-59000515

The Tokina looks impressive, but it's not going to be the Loxia. But that's not exactly how it's priced, either.

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:48 AM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

JDug wrote:
Looking forward to your testing! I believe someone on Dpreview had a thread comparing the Tokina with the Loxia. It was maybe a month or so ago and from what I remember it was pretty good but didn't quite compare. Interested to see what you find!

That's the conclusion that I remember as well, but the Firin could be a good alternative for those who don't want to plunk down the cash for the Loxia. Though I did have have zero regrets about it!

Mar 14, 2017 at 09:49 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

At infinity or close to infinity the difference is minimal but at shorter focusing distances, it seems more obvious that the Firin is lagging the Loxia. With that said, the Firin may be a great contender for astro photography and it is 1-stop faster, too.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

His conclusion was buy the Firin. Not sure thats the case but the big issue I have with Loxia is where the aperture ring is. That plus not being larger than the focusing ring was cumbersome at best. I actually hated it. Im not ruling anything out until we look at it. I don't read other reviews so i don't pollute my brain with whatever was said. Its actually a smart decision.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tokina Firin 20mm F2 . I took one for the team

Tokina's Achilles heel were the lens coatings in the past. Flare performance was mostly horrible and that is the aspect that would interest me the most.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.