New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Canon Dilemma

anselwannab
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon Dilemma

Interesting that no one mentioned the Dual pixel AF and the ability to post process focus on the 5DIV? Has that turned out to be not as big of a deal as it was when the camera was launched?

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon Dilemma

anselwannab wrote:
Interesting that no one mentioned the Dual pixel AF and the ability to post process focus on the 5DIV? Has that turned out to be not as big of a deal as it was when the camera was launched?

It just doesn't work. Well to be fair it does work and would shift the focus enough when using a 800mm lens that it would have saved some shots HOWEVER all the adjusted shots went really soft. Many other reviews found this also. Maybe Canon will work harder on it for the next round of cameras as it could have potential. Probably has more potential to be used as an in camera AFMA device instead of a post processing adjustment.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon Dilemma

madmanmadani wrote:
Currently I shoot with the Canon 6d and 7dmk2, with a bunch of canon glass.

I mostly shoot landscapes and astro, but do like to shoot some wildlife when possible.

I have recently been thinking to upgrade my body/bodies mainly because of DR and file size.

I'm not overly thrilled by the 5d4, as 13.9 Evs is barely catching up to Sony and still behind Nikon.

What do you guys suggest? Just looking to hear a bunch of new ideas / thoughts on this as my own are getting stale.

Thanks!

Given you focus - landscape, astro, and sometimes wildlife - I would not switch to sony for a marginal increase in dynamic range.

I tried Sony a7r for the 36mpx (vs 22 on Canon), and ignoring many of the other issues,
1) For landscape the dynamic range difference with 5diii was not significant because the Sony dynamic range was still inadequate and I still needed ndgrads or AEB/blending and when pushed the colors were wonky. And the dust control was not as good.
2) For Astro, I don't have a strong opinion. I think that 5div is more than adequate and I have used it for this but its not my expertise
3) If you are seeking wildlfife you will be frustrated to go with sony. It will result in two systems because sony has no long lens and adapted its not so great. And you will curse 2 sets of batteres, two sets of lens, adapaters. etc.

If you were just focused on landscape/astro, the gap is smaller.

I like Canon better for lots of other reasons too such as way better battery life for dslr, no adapters, better ergonomics of menu, ....

Go all sony or all canon but not both is my advice. The sony does not have ts17 or 600mmf4.

Mar 16, 2017 at 01:07 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon Dilemma

anselwannab wrote:

The dual pixel AF is great ... LiveView focusing is almost as good as many dedicated MILC cameras for stills and video follow focus is probably the best regardless of manufacturer. That is not exclusive to the 5D4, but it is probably the best version of it along with the 1DX II, followed by the 80D.
Most MILCs cannot even match what the 70D could do with a far older version of DPAF.

DPRAW / focus micro-adjustment in PP is super limited and according to most ppl toying with it doesn't worth it - at least with the current implementation.

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:26 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon Dilemma

I don't much pay attention to DR numbers. If I need to recover shadows, I'm probably shooting in bad light and usually just recover a little bit, not much to make any system different than the other.

Also, past ISO 400 or so, the DR ranges between the systems are all equal for the most part.

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:47 PM
madmanmadani

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon Dilemma

dtolios wrote:
The dual pixel AF is great ... LiveView focusing is almost as good as many dedicated MILC cameras for stills and video follow focus is probably the best regardless of manufacturer. That is not exclusive to the 5D4, but it is probably the best version of it along with the 1DX II, followed by the 80D.
Most MILCs cannot even match what the 70D could do with a far older version of DPAF.

DPRAW / focus micro-adjustment in PP is super limited and according to most ppl toying with it doesn't worth it - at least with the current implementation.

I've heard that the dual pixel feature is essential a gimmick. Does not work well and you have to step outside of Lr and Ps which is making your workflow more time consuming.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon Dilemma

If it was effective, Adobe would adapt to it I believe, and would worth it for those "crucial" moments.

But we have to differentiate - as I've tried to do above - between the Dual Pixel AF / DPAF = which is great & industry leading AutoFocus tech vs. Dual Pixel RAW that is just a file format with lots of extra information that has potential uses, but none of which is that effective as-is.

"Dual pixel feature" is a bit vague and misleading, as both the above "features" derive from Canon's sensor having pixel pairs to DPAF with...they are just trying to see if they can make more "stuff"/usage out of it.

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:07 PM
madmanmadani

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon Dilemma

Scott Stoness wrote:
Given you focus - landscape, astro, and sometimes wildlife - I would not switch to sony for a marginal increase in dynamic range.

I think you are right, I rented the Sony a7rii and wasn't too happy using it.
I tried Sony a7r for the 36mpx (vs 22 on Canon), and ignoring many of the other issues,
1) For landscape the dynamic range difference with 5diii was not significant because the Sony dynamic range was still inadequate and I still needed ndgrads or AEB/blending and when pushed the colors were wonky. And the dust control was not as good.
2) For
...Show more

Mar 27, 2017 at 07:13 PM
level1photog
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon Dilemma

Canon 5D Mark IV is more than enough for portraits/landscape/wedding photography that I do. There are other technique I'm still trying to learn (exposure blending, lightings, post processing, etc).

If I can't take great images with this camera, the problem is with me and my techniques. I've seen plenty of photographer switching to Sony with no difference in perceivable image quality. Sony do have alot of features that make photography really easy such as eye focus, and greater DR, but I know Canon 5D Mark IV won't limit me from creating any image. Instead of wasting time on switching gears and expensive, I rather use it toward photography education, and go out there and shoot.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.