Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Testing out the new Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 on my Canon 5D3, and noticed that the LV is very underexposed compared to the actual picture when the shutter is released. This makes it pretty difficult to manually focus the lens since everything is so dark. This seems to be a known issue with no suitable workaround, from what I have read.

I guess the solution might be to switch to movie mode, which shows the correctly exposed LV, manually focus the lens to where I want, then switch back to picture mode, and take the shot? Does anyone else have a better solution to this?

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:07 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Does anyone else have a better solution to this?

Buy lenses that were designed to work with your camera?

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:31 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

You can turn exposure preview on/off for the stills mode in LV.

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

snapsy wrote:
You can turn exposure preview on/off for the stills mode in LV.

Do you mean Exposure Simulation? Yeah, I read that somewhere online. Only works for anything other than Manual mode. Interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion!

update
Yeah, you were right. I just turned off Exposure Simulation and it works ok. Weird because I thought I did this ten minutes ago and it didn't work. Odd.

Thanks again!

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Do you mean Exposure Simulation? Yeah, I read that somewhere online. Only works for anything other than Manual mode. Interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yep, that's it. It works in all exposure modes.

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:51 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

What are you trying to focus on?
What is your exposure time?

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Focusing on something in my room. F/1.4 with 4 second shutter at iso 100.

The issue was that, in LV, the screen was dark. But when I hit the shutter, the picture was super over exposed. Disabling Exposure Simulation did the trick though. Now my LV is consistent with the shot.

dgdg wrote:
What are you trying to focus on?
What is your exposure time?

Mar 10, 2017 at 07:28 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Focusing on something in my room. F/1.4 with 4 second shutter at iso 100.

The issue was that, in LV, the screen was dark. But when I hit the shutter, the picture was super over exposed. Disabling Exposure Simulation did the trick though. Now my LV is consistent with the shot.

Glad to hear it. If I had to guess I'd say LV was miscalculating the LV exposure simulation due to it not knowing the aperture of the lens and thus assuming a smaller aperture than actual. Does that lens have electrical contacts to the body to report aperture info?

Mar 10, 2017 at 07:51 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rokinon Lenses = Underexposure in Live View + Overexposure in Picture

The aperture is set on the lens itself so no electrical contacts. In the camera, it just shows 00 as the aperture,sl so you're probably right.

snapsy wrote:
Glad to hear it. If I had to guess I'd say LV was miscalculating the LV exposure simulation due to it not knowing the aperture of the lens and thus assuming a smaller aperture than actual. Does that lens have electrical contacts to the body to report aperture info?

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.