Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do y...

billsamuels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

KEH is having a 10% off sale today and I was looking at the Leica Elmarit-R for my Canon. The lenses they're selling are going for $572 in excellent condition and are the E-55 late Germany models. I read some information about them and they seem like very sharp models that are great for portraits, but this is mostly written by Leica and Leica people.

I'm wondering what photographers who use all kinds of lenses think of this particular lens for general photography use? I have the Elmarit-R 28mm F/2.8 and a Summicron-R 50mm and I think both are amazing lenses, but there are some not-so-great Leica lenses out there and some are not made by Leica.

Is there another lens that's just as good or better for the same money?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 10, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

The latest Elmarit 90mm is a very fine lens and rivals the 90mm Apo-Summicron. It is also small and light. However to be quite honest, I would get a Canon 100mm F2.8 IS macro. This is just as good and has a fully auto aperture, meter coupling, and has AF and IS, so is much more useful. It also weighs much the same, although it is longer.

Mar 13, 2017 at 02:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

I like it. Most of my Alt glass is Zeiss, Pentax, and Mamiya 645, but I've kept the Summicron-R 50/2 and Elmarit-R 90/2.8 E55, for that occasional dose of magic that makes me like a Leica.

The 90/2.8 is very sharp at f/8 and near infinity, which is where I'm most likely to use it. For portraits, I'd prefer to use the Summicron-R 90/2 over the Elmarit.

Mar 13, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

jcolwell wrote:
I like it. Most of my Alt glass is Zeiss, Pentax, and Mamiya 645, but I've kept the Summicron-R 50/2 and Elmarit-R 90/2.8 E55, for that occasional dose of magic that makes me like a Leica.

The 90/2.8 is very sharp at f/8 and near infinity, which is where I'm most likely to use it. For portraits, I'd prefer to use the Summicron-R 90/2 over the Elmarit.

Jim,
How is the 90mm Elmarit-R F/2.8 in comparison to the 90mm Summicron-R APO F/2.ASPH? Besides being a lot more expensive, I've been doing a lot of reading where it's one of the top lenses ever made. The ones leading up to the ASPH were pretty good as well and can be had at KEH for around $200-$500 (they had a 15% off sale today as well), but the ASPH wasn't available and when I look on ebay, it's a crazy fortune, around $3K - $5. Out of my league, but maybe one day it will fall inline(?).

Is the one you have in your belief nearly as good as the ASPH? Do you know how it would be different? Or is it a lot of unnecessary hype?
thanks.
Bill

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:27 AM
Ulff
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

The Elmarit is a an almost flawless lens with a very nice rendering. It's sharp wide open and I like its bokeh. The build quality is excellent and the built-in hood is a very nice feature that every lens should have. If you can live with f2.8 I can recommend this lens.

The IQ and rendering from the Elmarit is almost identical to that of the Canon 90 f2.8 TS-E. The Canon is a bit sharper towards the corners. Otherwise they are almost indistinguishable. These are my tow favorite lenses in that focal length. I pick the Canon when I need TS and the Elmarit for smaller size and better manual focus towards infinity.

Mar 14, 2017 at 07:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Elmarit-R 90mm F/2.8 E-55 used on Canon - What do you think?

billsamuels wrote:
Jim,
How is the 90mm Elmarit-R F/2.8 in comparison to the 90mm Summicron-R APO F/2.ASPH?

Can't help you with this, Bill. I haven't owned one, yet.

Mar 14, 2017 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password