FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

I'd love to see a 1.8/85 GM, I know they won't make it, but an 85GM that's smaller and lighter with fast AF and a T stop of 1.8-1.9, retaining the 11 blade rounded iris would have me sold, even if it wasn't significantly cheaper than the 1.4/85GM.

I love my 85GM, but not for its ability to open up to 1.4, for everything else it does, that's the reason I use it and whilst it's not large for its spec and performance, I'd spend almost as much to have a very slightly slower but ergonomically better optic.

I shot with a Nikon 2/85 for years because it was so small and light, i sold it because it didn't have AF and my eyes and the camera I was using it on (D800) meant I had an absolutely woeful focus hit rate.

Edited on Mar 22, 2017 at 01:42 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:40 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
The GM for it's best in class sharpness and rendering,...

Well, rendering anyway. I haven't seen the sharpness advantage.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:41 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Probably a lot easier to convince her you hang out with really sick people that have even more than you and you need to keep up. Or I'll send my baseball helmet after you buy the 1.8. That way you can protect yourself. 😂

My case mums the word. I'm really bad

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Bespoked
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Jeff Kott wrote:
Well, rendering anyway. I haven't seen the sharpness advantage.

I have, with the exception of the Sigma 85Art which it equals.
I have many 85's. my other favourite being the Nikkor 1.4/85G and the 85GM is miles ahead.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:43 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

The GM gets beat by the ZM 85 in the corners till about 5.6. So if this Sony is pulling it off at F4 than that's a advantage. Trust me the GM is no slouch either. I'm in line for this

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:45 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
I have, with the exception of the Sigma 85Art which it equals.
I have many 85's. my other favourite being the Nikkor 1.4/85G and the 85GM is miles ahead.

Sorry, I must have missed it. You've seen some comparison images where the GM was sharper than the FE85/1.8 at comparable apertures? Since I'm close to buying one of these lenses, please share the link with me. (I'm not questioning that the GM wins on rendering.)

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
It's going to be difficult to convince my wife, who's my company accountant, that I require 3 85's, at least.
The GM for it's best in class sharpness and rendering, the 1.8/85 for its compact, lightweight ergonomics and snappy AF and the Lox for its sun stars and contrast

If you want to get Loxia sunstars on the cheap, the ZM 85/4 is another option. It's my main 85mm landscape lens.
It's so small, your wife may not even notice it in your pocket.

Mar 22, 2017 at 02:19 AM
Bespoked
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
If you want to get Loxia sunstars on the cheap, the ZM 85/4 is another option. It's my main 85mm landscape lens.
It's so small, your wife may not even notice it in your pocket.

Luckily my wife doesn't read these notifications
Also, between yourself, Guy and David, I'm not sure yet who it is that will be responsible for my divorce

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Bespoked
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Jeff Kott wrote:
Sorry, I must have missed it. You've seen some comparison images where the GM was sharper than the FE85/1.8 at comparable apertures? Since I'm close to buying one of these lenses, please share the link with me. (I'm not questioning that the GM wins on rendering.)

I don't like saying this, but a couple of tests, I think using Imatest show that the GM is slightly sharper wide open at 1.4 than the 1.8/85 is at 1.8, which is really something.

That doesn't mean much on its own, it may not translate to any real world benefits and sharpness is the third of fourth most important characteristic of any lens. The look of the GM is what does it for me, I'd considered selling it and replacing it with the 1.8 as it's lighter and smaller with faster AF, but may just use the 55 for the fast AF instead and crop in.

The sunstars are nice to have, but if I need them I'll be focusing manually anyway, so may as well just go the Loxia route, or Fred's other marriage meddling options.

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:27 AM
DavidBM
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
It's going to be difficult to convince my wife, who's my company accountant, that I require 3 85's, at least.
The GM for it's best in class sharpness and rendering, the 1.8/85 for its compact, lightweight ergonomics and snappy AF and the Lox for its sun stars and contrast

Surely she can be persuaded that the 1.8 should be replaced with the Batis for slightly better flare control and very slightly better LOCA. And that you also need the ZM for near Loxia performance and greater compactness. And maybe an Otus for ultimate contrast at f 1.4....

Mar 22, 2017 at 06:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bespoked
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

She's still reeling because my second shooter was married overseas and she had to be my assistant/second shooter for the day -and that was 2 years ago lol!

I think the Loxia 85 may come, but there are a few personal lens purchases before then, the (ZM1.4/35 first).

So yeah, the GM is great, but this 1.8/85 seems to have ice sun stars going for it, the snappy AF and the outrageous bang for buck of course. Anyone who does't use an 85 regularly or wants a compact size should consider this over the GM, but for me the GM makes nicer looking pictures and I use that to make money every day, so the extra cost is completely justifiable.

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:07 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
...It's so small, your wife may not even notice it in your pocket.

Is that a lens in your pocket.....?

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:58 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Need to get this off my chest. I want the damn lens today please. Release it sooner

K feel better now

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Bespoked
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

JohnJ wrote:
Is that a lens in your pocket.....?

What are implying?

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:42 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
What are implying?

As they say, it's not the size of the lens but what you do with it

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM
genji
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

GMPhotography wrote:
Finally some decent shots. Looks very good outside the bokeh balls . The GM does have more separation or 3D pop but that is expected.

Excellent comprehensive review that showed me everything I needed to see. Bokeh balls I can live with. I'll pick up an FE 85/1.8 while I'm waiting for the Loxia 28mm to materialise.

And anyone who doubts your advice that with Sony cameras focus is best achieved on vertical lines and not horizontal should look at the Focus Speed videos in that review to see the camera fail to find focus whenever the focus spot goes near the horizontal railing.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

genji wrote:
And anyone who doubts your advice that with Sony cameras focus is best achieved on vertical lines and not horizontal should look at the Focus Speed videos in that review to see the camera fail to find focus whenever the focus spot goes near the horizontal railing.

It's not "advice", that's simply how the OSPDAF are laid out.
Hopefully the next gen will have some, or all, cross-type - like you see on DSLRs.

Mar 23, 2017 at 07:31 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Yes right now it's all about vertical .

Mar 23, 2017 at 07:38 PM
genji
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

ecarlino wrote:
It's not "advice", that's simply how the OSPDAF are laid out.
Hopefully the next gen will have some, or all, cross-type - like you see on DSLRs.

Actually, it is advice, based on how the OSPDAF points are laid out. As in: "Because of the layout of the OSPDAF points, it's advisable to focus on vertical rather than horizontal lines."

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:38 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

genji wrote:
Actually, it is advice, based on how the OSPDAF points are laid out. As in: "Because of the layout of the OSPDAF points, it's advisable to focus on vertical rather than horizontal lines."

i was trying to make the distinction for others that this wasn't just Guy's personal opinion (which i find very valuable, but that others may question to their own detriment) but rather there is in fact a technical reason that the A7r2 OSPDAF system won't lock on to horizontal lines.

in this case, i would modify your statement to be: "you are crazy if you try to focus on horizontal lines because it simply will not work with phase-detect (contrast-detect may kick in after a bunch of hunting, not sure)"

to me advice is "hey, if you love to write about the news, go to journalism school, just be prepared to live in a very small apartment your whole life"

in any case, not a big deal

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password