FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       end

Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

RoseandCharles

Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Jochenb wrote:
I returned my decentered copy and tried another one. Again decentered.
Again not just very mild decentering, but very pronounced.

BTW, I also tried the 24-70 GM again and yes, you can already guess it. Same story. Badly decentered at most focal lengths.
It's certainly not my camera, because my lenses that are fine were also fine on my previous A7 series.
I'm REALLY losing my patience with Sony. Their lack of quality control is a disgrace.
I envy the people here that hardly ever get faulty gear.

I quite like the FE 85/1.8, but for now I went
...Show more

Are you getting them shipped to you? Could be an issue with transit.

Personal anecdote, take with grain of salt. But I noticed that the Zeiss Batis lens we received was extremely well-packaged with TONS of packaging foam, large bubble wrap, and the lens was nested tightly in a shaped foam in the box. Our Batis 85 lens has been impeccable. We even got a (presumably) custom MTF chart of our copy of the lens.

Meanwhile every Sony lens we've received has been loosely packed with only a very thin layer of bubble wrap, and the lens has tons of space to rattle inside the box. We've gotten a few decentered/problematic Sony lenses. They really need better packaging and protection for their lenses. They do a great job keeping the bodies well-protected with formed cardbox boxes ensuring rigidity, but no such protection for their lenses!

Apr 28, 2017 at 07:04 PM
AlphaPhotography
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Interesting. The Batis packing looks superb. I'd also guess the Batis has higher QC standards (than the 85mm) but perhaps not.

What retailer have you found provides the best external packing job (regardless of manufacturer)?

RoseandCharles wrote:
Are you getting them shipped to you? Could be an issue with transit.

Personal anecdote, take with grain of salt. But I noticed that the Zeiss Batis lens we received was extremely well-packaged with TONS of packaging foam, large bubble wrap, and the lens was nested tightly in a shaped foam in the box. Our Batis 85 lens has been impeccable. We even got a (presumably) custom MTF chart of our copy of the lens.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/batisDE.jpg

Meanwhile every Sony lens we've received has been loosely packed with only a very thin layer of bubble wrap, and the lens has tons of space
...Show more

Apr 28, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

I don't believe this happens during delivery. It mostly likely happens during lens production. Any slight tilt in one or more elements will translate to ill effects on our high MP sensors at 1:1 magnification.

I've tried two FE 85/1.8 lenses. One was from @GMPhotography, which was perfectly centered and another brand new which was severely decentered (element tilt). So, the odds for me were 50/50.

Since I have had better luck with Zeiss lenses (Not Zeiss/Sony), I gave an used Batis 85/1.8 (~$800) a try and got very lucky.

I was able to compare the Batis vs FE vs ZM.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:36 PM
AlphaPhotography
• •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

I agree it is probably during production. Crossing my fingers for a good copy when it comes in next week.

This may be a topic that warrants its own thread but what is everyone here's experience with copy variation pertaining to certain retailers? I've heard rumors that some retailers (maybe all?) simply "refurbish" and resell lenses as new that were returned as poor copies. Does anyone have insider insight on this? I'm wondering if it's more prevalent in larger companies like B&H with a higher influx of returns and lenient return policies. Thoughts?

A friend of mine swears he was sold a used Rokinon 14mm f2.8 from B&H but it was good and cheap enough that he just kept it. He said there was a fairly significant amount of dust in the lens and a hairline crack of some sort in the body but neither seemed to affect performance.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I don't believe this happens during delivery. It mostly likely happens during lens production. Any slight tilt in one or more elements will translate to ill effects on our high MP sensors at 1:1 magnification.

I've tried two FE 85/1.8 lenses. One was from @GMPhotography@, which was perfectly centered and another brand new which was severely decentered (element tilt). So, the odds for me were 50/50.

Since I have had better luck with Zeiss lenses (Not Zeiss/Sony), I gave an used Batis 85/1.8 (~$800) a try and got very lucky.

I was able to compare the Batis vs FE vs ZM.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

RoseandCharles wrote:
Meanwhile every Sony lens we've received has been loosely packed with only a very thin layer of bubble wrap, and the lens has tons of space to rattle inside the box. We've gotten a few decentered/problematic Sony lenses. They really need better packaging and protection for their lenses. They do a great job keeping the bodies well-protected with formed cardbox boxes ensuring rigidity, but no such protection for their lenses!

Totally agree. Batis packaging assumes the retailer is going to throw the bare product into a cardboard box and park it on the shipping dockóB&H is certainly guilty in this regard. Sony needs to be similarly proactive, especially with the high-end optics. My 100 STF GM was shipped inside the included lens case, but 4mm of bubble wrap won't protect the precious content if the orange Sony box takes a hit. They can probably afford some vacuum-formed insulation with a $1500 lens!

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password