FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              22       23       end

Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

I already ordered this lens. I'm looking for one thing AF speed. Going to be more my studio lens. I'll get a look lens in 135 to replace my GM. I might even buy back the 50 1.4 FE. I'm sad I sold my GM 85 as I loved it but the stop down focusing and AF speed was hurting me

Mar 12, 2017 at 04:17 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

GMPhotography wrote:
I already ordered this lens. I'm looking for one thing AF speed. Going to be more my studio lens. I'll get a look lens in 135 to replace my GM. I might even buy back the 50 1.4 FE. I'm sad I sold my GM 85 as I loved it but the stop down focusing and AF speed was hurting me

At what f/stop on the 85GM did you find that it became an issue to focus reasonably quickly?
I've never used the lens stopped down beyond f/2 except for a rare cityscape in sunlight, but I know what you mean with the hunting.

So many great choices now - the 50/1.4 is fantastic; curious to see if the Batis 135 suffers similar swirly/cat's eye bokeh as their 85.

Edited on Mar 12, 2017 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:11 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

The 85mm GM is more intended for available light shooting and not for studio. The excellent wide open or close to wide open performance of that lens will get lost for studio purposes, IMHO. I love that lens for what it is designed to be used and as such, I don't think I have ever shot it at aperture of smaller than f/4. My most common aperture range is between wide open and f/2 and occasionally I stop it down to f/2.8. As such, I don't recall encountering any hesitation in the AF performance.

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

At those F stop speeds of 2.8 and higher not really a issue. Working at F8 in studio with moving model was not cutting the cheese. I agree with Joshua its a outside type lens or available light. Great lens love it but I got money on the line so i need that AF speed that this new lens may give me. Batis 85 i just hate the manual focus. This is where this issue is I'm stopped down and i got a moving model. It does not always keep up. This is a catalog shoot so background gets wiped out

ILCE-7RM2    Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM (SEL85F14GM) lens    85mm    f/8.0    1/200s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Here she is moving to get the dress in motion. Its a touch soft

ILCE-7RM2    Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM (SEL85F14GM) lens    85mm    f/8.0    1/200s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 12, 2017 at 05:59 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

This is a Tuxedo and Choir clothing distributer that does a huge catalog every year. Its a two day shoot for me with about 6 models in total. Its a very clean make the cloths look awesome type of shoot.

Mar 12, 2017 at 06:01 PM
virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
Not sure what he has done (or who he is) and haven't read the article, but can confirm that having OIS + IBIS as opposed to simply IBIS only doesn't improve stabilisation as per my thorough, but admittedly non expert tests.

When I spoke to Sony, they themselves told me that the OIS disables 2 axis (I think, this was some time ago) of the IBIS system, they work in conjunction with each other, but IBIS isn't fully functional when an OIS enabled lens is attached, bolstering my opinion on the back of my results.

I could be wrong, but I've thoroughly
...Show more

My understanding is that OIS will become more relevant on longer focal lengths. The IBIS mechanism only has so much travel, and apparently longer lens shake can exceed its limits. Whereas OIS can be designed for the specific lens and the amount of shake/travel required. But I don't believe IBIS limits are an issue at 85 or 135mm. Maybe at 200-400mm.

Mar 13, 2017 at 07:55 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
I shot the 85GM before first light today, stopped down to f5.6 without issues, not sure what is going on. Yes it focuses slower than some other lenses, but so do my big glass lenses from other manufactures.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3848/32571492034_ee6d30d2d6_b.jpg

Focus was on the white tower using large flexible point, no re-compose.

is it possible your lens and/or sensor need some cleaning?

Mar 13, 2017 at 04:04 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Bespoked wrote:
but can confirm that having OIS + IBIS as opposed to simply IBIS only doesn't improve stabilisation as per my thorough, but admittedly non expert tests.

When I spoke to Sony, they themselves told me that the OIS disables 2 axis (I think, this was some time ago) of the IBIS system, they work in conjunction with each other, but IBIS isn't fully functional when an OIS enabled lens is attached, bolstering my opinion on the back of my results.

my understanding is that when the lens has it, the 2 axis that are implemented in the lens are turned off in the camera b/c the lens does a better job than the camera can for those 2 axis.

Mar 13, 2017 at 04:06 PM
dgurtch
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Reading here that the lens focuses wide open instead of at shooting aperture is a REAL plus for me, as 99.9% of my shooting is seascapes in bright sun, stopped down to f11 or f13 for depth of field. Back when I had my A7R (I also use a Nikon D800e), focusing out doors with the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 was a real issue. I am left eyed, and had to use one hand to shield the eyepiece in order to see the focusing image. It was areal issue, to the point I ended up using the Nikon more often, as it always focuses wide open. I tried everything: "SHOOTING EFFECTS" ON and OFF. The A7RII focuses wide open with those lenses, and also the wonderful 16- 35mm FE lens. I am an amateur, but do serious photography (to me anyway). I now use an over-sized eyecup, and wide open focusing, and all is well. Back when I was having problems, Guy was a big help here giving me advice. This is a great site. Thank you all.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

Mar 15, 2017 at 08:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnahill
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Already owning the Batis 85, I was curious if I could trade the batis for this lens and release some cash. Seems not that much, in fact a quote from a company i've used a ton (and normally give rates comparable to ebay sales minus the crazy fees) quoted a price for the batis which barely coveres the new price of the sony 85.

I guess i'll stick with the Batis for a while, not such a hardship though

Mar 17, 2017 at 08:16 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Hi folks,

I have already mentioned it in the FE images thread, but this seems to be the right place for that information.

I have just received the Sony FE 1.8/85 and started my rolling review: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-sony-fe-85-mm-1-8/

First examinations:

- Build quality feels solid and appropriate
- Size-wise, it's a perfect match for the A7, very well balanced
- AF is fast, reliable and quiet
- Very sharp wide open at distances from headshot to infinity. Seems to be a little softer at close focusing distances.
- Moderate LoCA, but purple fringing at contrast edges, also in the middle and especially in the sharp area.
- Bokeh has got some structure, not bad but nothing to rave about so far
- No Distortion at all, have to double check that without electronic contact.
- Intense flaring and ghosting with the sun in the frame

So far, it matches it's price point very well. Sharpness is really good, the flare performance could be limiting for landscape work.

Further examinations coming soon..

Jannik

Edited on Mar 17, 2017 at 10:16 AM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2017 at 09:49 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Thanks Jannik!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Jannik Peters wrote:
Hi folks,

I have already mentioned it in the FE images thread, but this seems to be the right place for that information.

I have just received the Sony FE 1.8/85 and started my rolling review: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-sony-fe-85-mm-1-8/

First examinations:

- Build quality feels solid and appropriate
- Size-wise, it's a perfect match for the A7, very well balanced
- AF is fast, reliable and quiet
- Very sharp wide open at distances from headshot to infinity. Seems to be a little softer at close focusing distances.
- Moderate LoCA, but purple fringing at contrast edges, also in the middle and especially in the sharp area.
- Bokeh has
...Show more

Great write-up Jannik!!
I will be checking your rolling review as it progresses.

So far, it seems the advantages of the Batis is better flare control and lower LoCA. The disadvantages are more distortion and higher price.
Bokeh seems to be a wash from the examples I've seen. Same swirl and structured OOF area. (That's the biggest GM advantage)

How does AF speed compares to the Batis?

Mar 17, 2017 at 02:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Sounds pretty good . Sharp and great AF is a combo I'm looking for.

Mar 17, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Thanks, Fred I have to agree with your examinations although the FE 1.8/85 feels a little different in terms of bokeh. I don't have the Batis anymore, just the GM so I can't make a prove on that.

Take a look at the aperture series. I must say that this lens seems to have laser qualities

The file is too large for the forum, I linked directly:

Aperture Series

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Jannik Peters wrote:
Thanks, Fred I have to agree with your examinations although the FE 1.8/85 feels a little different in terms of bokeh. I don't have the Batis anymore, just the GM so I can't make a prove on that.

Take a look at the aperture series. I must say that this lens seems to have laser qualities

The file is too large for the forum, I linked directly:

Aperture Series

It seems to peak around f/4 at infinity distance although it's impressive from wide-open. How much was that lens again?

Your results are similar to ePhotozine's at closer distance.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1479836/0#13955096

I much prefer seeing great results from real images than graphs. Thanks Jannik!

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Yes, I am pleasantly surprised as well. Even wide open, it is decently sharp and contrast and sharpness are extremely high at f4.

Mar 17, 2017 at 04:29 PM
slacklaporte
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

this lens perform extremely well at 1.8, 2, 2.8 i was really surprised about that. Its an excellent combo with A7RII

Mar 17, 2017 at 06:02 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 lens Review

Sounds like a great lens.
I wish 28/2 was a 35/2 and with the new 85, would have been a great 2 lens kit.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:38 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password