FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · locks and dam #24

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · locks and dam #24

I'm on my way to locks and dam #24 from the Missouri side. Anyone know the status of Eagles there and. Where to go specifically to be able to shoot them fishing? Can it be reached from the MO side? Never been there.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:37 AM
Doug C
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · locks and dam #24

I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested in knowing as well. My guess is that there may not be much activity there now. There are several nests near my work, and the parents are already in incubation mode.

Mar 10, 2017 at 03:36 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · locks and dam #24

I doubt you will get any fishing shots. With the lack of cold weather I didn't even bother to go this year. The best fishing action is when the river is frozen which concentrates the birds near the dam. In years past I have seen over 300 birds in the area at one time.
Even further north wasn't as productive as previous years due to the lack of extended periods of cold weather.

Mar 10, 2017 at 07:39 PM
blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · locks and dam #24

I went. No fishing eagles. I did catch a couple right outside of town feeding on a deer, so I got a couple pics.. There is also a nest near there with just the head of one of them peeking over the dop. Clearly it was on incubation duty.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM
imthegasman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · locks and dam #24

I don't know how accurate these are (and 24 is not included) but:

Eagle counts upstream of 24.

http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/Mississippi-River-Project/Education/Eagle-Watching/Eagle-Counts/

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · locks and dam #24

I know a guy from Alton, Il who has been a couple of times. I think 3 years ago, it was epic there, with hundreds to be photographed from the Mo side. I've been watching it since. Last winter was a bad year with the flooding, and this year seemed promising to me with some big snows to the north. But, there wasn't that long period of super cold weather to freeze everything over. That forces more eagles to venture south, and concentrates them around the dams where they find food. So I'm watching out every January-February from now on.

Mar 11, 2017 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.