FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Best cheap and small WA

lexvo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best cheap and small WA

chefboyarlee wrote:
Just an update...found a used 14 on CL and it was off the charts amazing in Morocco. Ultra sharp and no distortion to speak of. Never going to sell this beauty.

Yes, the Fuji 14mm is a great lens. There are other great Fuji wide angles like the 16/1.4 and the 10-24 zoom, but the 14mm is a little gem. It has very good image quality and still is relatively compact.

May 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best cheap and small WA

chefboyarlee wrote:
I have a great trip coming up to Morocco, Spain and France for a month. I currently have a 23 1.4 and 56 1.2. I don't usually shoot WA much (as my previous trips have shown) but I am itching to bring a cheap and SMALL one along just in case.
What do you think: Fuji 18/2 ( is this wide enough), 18-55 kit, or is there a manual one out there that fits the bill? The 16 1.4 is too big and expensive. The 14 might be too expensive but may work.
Thanks everyone!

You mentioned you don't shoot a lot of WA so there is a good reason as you may not gravitate to very WA's. I am the same, as I prefer longer FL's. For travel shots in the streets I prefer the 25mm to 28mm effective FL. Too wide I find it very difficult to compose and people become distorted unless you have them very close to center. With WA's for each 1mm there is quite a difference in the FOV. With most high end mobile phone cameras the effective FL is around the 25 to 28mm and there is good reason for this.

For landscapes/seacapes my preference is 16 to 21 mm eff FL, but but for travel I prefer 25 to 28mm eff FL. This way I can keep one lens on the camera all day and chill out and just focus on the composition of the shots.

As mentioned already in threads I love the XF 18/2 and the XF 27/2.8. Both these lenses are really small, superb IQ and used copies can be picked up very cheap. Like with any lenses now, do fully check them out as there are variations in the sharpness and how they perform.

In reply to your question, is the XF 18 wide enough? I personally do for streets/people/travel as you don't have to fight too hard to compose your images. In fact the XF 18 is 27mm eff FL which is a nice balance

May 24, 2017 at 05:34 PM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best cheap and small WA

charles.K wrote:
You mentioned you don't shoot a lot of WA so there is a good reason as you may not gravitate to very WA's. I am the same, as I prefer longer FL's. For travel shots in the streets I prefer the 25mm to 28mm effective FL. Too wide I find it very difficult to compose and people become distorted unless you have them very close to center. With WA's for each 1mm there is quite a difference in the FOV. With most high end mobile phone cameras the effective FL is around the 25 to 28mm and there is good
...Show more

How are you liking the 18 & 27 Charles? I love my 18/2 and find it really changes the character of the shooting experience to be more discreet and I can have the camera with me in scenarios where a bigger lens just wouldn't work. Been thinking about picking up the 27/2.8 myself.

May 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best cheap and small WA

rbf_ wrote:
How are you liking the 18 & 27 Charles? I love my 18/2 and find it really changes the character of the shooting experience to be more discreet and I can have the camera with me in scenarios where a bigger lens just wouldn't work. Been thinking about picking up the 27/2.8 myself.

I am loving both the 18 and 27 These lenses are so light and nimble with the newer FW updates on XT2 they are fast and accurate. The face and eye recognition is now better too. I am using this on AF-S not AF-C, but still it is excellent.

It is interesting what a difference a smaller and lighter lens like 27 and to a lesser degree the 18 can do for ergonomics and feel.

I found yesterday I had to do a fashion/clothe shoot for my god daughter. The clothes had arrived from London, and they were keen to have some shots of them with Alex taken. For this shoot I used the D810 and 105/1.4 G with the SB 900/soft box. For all the other shots during the day I just used the XT2 and XF 18/27. I really think there is room for both FF and "Fuji's"

May 27, 2017 at 07:00 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best cheap and small WA

charles.K wrote:
I am loving both the 18 and 27 These lenses are so light and nimble with the newer FW updates on XT2 they are fast and accurate. The face and eye recognition is now better too. I am using this on AF-S not AF-C, but still it is excellent.

It is interesting what a difference a smaller and lighter lens like 27 and to a lesser degree the 18 can do for ergonomics and feel.

I found yesterday I had to do a fashion/clothe shoot for my god daughter. The clothes had arrived from London, and they were keen to have
...Show more

Actually being complementary to FF was part of Fuji's original strategy for the X series. They used to talk about it in interviews a lot. They wanted the X series to be attractive to people who already had FF or MF systems as a complementary system as well as people in the APS-C market segment. So they started out with lots of small primes. It is a totally different experience shooting an X with these small primes and now they have an F/2-2.8 lineup 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 27/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 and 60/2.4 macro. I always ask and the f/2's are always sold out at local stores I think they are selling like hotcakes

I absolutely love the 105/1.4 G and a lot of the newer Nikon glass. In fact if I were doing serious portraiture I would buy the 105/1.4 G and then get a D810 so I could something to attach to the back of it But even if I get a FF system my Fuji X is not going anywhere either

Edited on May 29, 2017 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2017 at 08:41 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best cheap and small WA

rbf_ wrote:
Actually being complementary to FF was part of Fuji's original strategy for the X series. They used to talk about it in interviews a lot. They wanted the X series to be attractive to people who already had FF or MF systems as a complementary system as well as people in the APS-C market segment. So they started out with lots of small primes. It is a totally different experience shooting an X with these small primes and now they have an F/2-2.8 lineup 18/2, 23/2, 27/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 and 60/2.4 macro. I always ask and the f/2's are always
...Show more

This is very smart direction on the part of Fuji I am now only appreciating how to to integrate both FF and the Fuji X series.

May 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best cheap and small WA

charles.K wrote:
This is very smart direction on the part of Fuji I am now only appreciating how to to integrate both FF and the Fuji X series.

Yeah, I think it was a very smart approach. When I got my XE1 many of the early adopters were people who already had entire FF or MF setups. Some were critical of the larger fast aperture (23/1.4, 56/1.2) primes Fuji had released and were skeptical of the need for f/2.8 zooms for X system which weren't out yet. They already had FF setups and were using Fuji primarily for the body + small lenses and wanted more small primes. So really the size of the system was the critical factor for many.

May 28, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Nick3434
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best cheap and small WA

Another strong vote for the 14. I think it may be most overlooked lens for Fuji that people know is there. If I could bring only one lens on a trip, I wouldn't hesitate to take the 14. You made a great choice.

I also own and love the 8mm fisheye, but I would never make a trip with it being only glass. That said, it is glass I love to have option of.

May 29, 2017 at 06:16 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best cheap and small WA

If you need a small wide for travel the 14/2.8 is perfect. It's ultra-wide but not ridiculously wide. Loved mine but switched it for the 10-24 since I mostly shoot landscape. If there was a compact 10/2.8 lens out there I'd buy the 14 back.

May 29, 2017 at 08:50 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best cheap and small WA

The Samyang 12mm/f2 is a great little lens especially for it's price. Don't expect the best IQ in the world but it is still a solid performer

May 29, 2017 at 11:17 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best cheap and small WA

The 14/2.8 is a great lens I've been meaning to get one for a while. You can find some good deals on them too since they had those huge $400 rebates on them a while back. It has great IR performance as well if you're into that kind thing too.

May 29, 2017 at 02:15 PM
roger lund
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best cheap and small WA

Cheryle Sytsma wrote:
Roger, this will be interesting to see how you like it.
Has a small zoom range... interesting to me
And $30... whoa

Just a couple processed with HDR.

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:19 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best cheap and small WA

roger lund wrote:
Just grabbed a samyang 18-28mm f4/4.5 manual focus lens for $30 shipped....

roger lund wrote:
Just a couple processed with HDR.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Gallery/Lenses/MF/Samyang-1828mm-f445/Processed-samyang-1828mm-f445/i-qkJLC7P/0/0da5e450/XL/DSCF9363-Edit-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Gallery/Lenses/MF/Samyang-1828mm-f445/Processed-samyang-1828mm-f445/i-9f58hn2/0/fad883a7/XL/DSCF9372-XL.jpg

These are nice, Roger...
I think perhaps you are happy with your purchase! (?)

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:58 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best cheap and small WA

Yup.

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.