Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

Canon shooter here.

Right now, I have a 430EX II that I operate off-camera using the Yongnuo 622-TX master on the camera and a YN622C remote unit coupled to the flash. It has worked very well for me.

But now, I want to get a 2nd flash to expand my lighting by using key and fill lights, etc. The question is - should I just get a second 430EX II and a 2nd YN622C and basically just expand my 622 based setup?

Or should I get one of the newer RT flashes like the 430 EX III-RT and a RT transmitter? Are there any benefits for going this way? It is going to be much more expensive than just expanding my current setup and for an amateur, I don't know if it is worth it, but I figured I'd ask. The disadvantage for staying with the 622-based system is risk of being marooned on a potentially obsolete ecosystem but I don't know if that is something that's even true, let alone be worried obout.

Thanks for any advice.

Also, I guess an follow-on question is:

Can the YN622-TX master on the camera control the newer flashes like the 430EX III RT directly? Or does each flash still need to be coupled with a YN622C transceiver?

Mar 09, 2017 at 02:03 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

Full radio control is handy if you need to place a light inside a softbox or at high altitude. I don't need such control over every strobe and flash I own: a single Nikon SB-5000 is sufficient for me currently.

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

Thanks!

After further reflection, I think I am just going to stay with my Yongnuo system. I will pick up 2 more receivers for 60-ish bucks and look for a couple of used 430EXs to pop up. I think a 3 flash setup will cover most of my needs for the forseeable future, considering that I am just an amateur. That's probably more than enough for me rather than jettison what I have for an RT system.

Mar 10, 2017 at 05:31 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

Older 430EX units are a great OEM value given their feature set: E-TTL slave capable, zoom, full manual energy, zoom, tilt, rotate, I have a version I from the plastic-foot era.

Mar 10, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a 2nd flash - go RT or not?

No way to use the existing 430 flash with the rt mode of either the 430 rt or the rt controller. So unless you want to start over and buy two 430rt then no.

Mar 12, 2017 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.