New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

blcook

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Of the 3 camera's which is the best for general photography? I take mainly nature (animals) and landscapes and am ready to move away from my 5D model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Brian

Mar 09, 2017 at 11:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

5D IV is the best all around.

EBH

Mar 09, 2017 at 12:00 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

If you don't have a budget issue, it is probably the 5DSR. 5DS a close second but still...a tad less refined IQ. Since there is virtually no downside to the R, just get the R.

The 5D3 is as bit dated in everything. The 5DS line has better AF, better mirror, better sealing, equal or better ISO performance when normalized to same output size & more than double the MP for cropping deep or recording lots of detail...if you have any concern with 50MP being excessive and/or you might need more FPS than what the 5DSR is capable of outputting, the answer is found in the 5D4.

30MP vs. 22MP on the 3, better AF/FPS/ISO/weather sealing than all 5 series before it.

Mar 09, 2017 at 12:02 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Even of you shoot landscapes, a 50mp camera only makes sense if you actually use the pixels. If you think you will, nothing beats the detail of the 5DsR. I got the 5D3 in January 2016, sold it to get the 5DsR in May and never looked back. Awesome camera.
However, the details is at its best at lower ISO s. I also shoot action with it at ISO 12800 and it's fine, but at those high ISO s there won't be more detail than with say a 5D4 or 1Dx. If you shoot animals it depends on big or small, near or far, slow or fast, ground or air. If it's the latter on some or all of the above four, don't get the 5DsR but consider the 5D4 instead.

As I also do a lot of action / events photography, I will probably get a 5D4 because it feels like a better trade off between fps and resolution. But it sure will be hard to let go of my 5DsR!

Ralph

Mar 09, 2017 at 02:35 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

of the three you listed, 5d3 is by far most all-around body for general photography. There are many others that would work also.

Mar 09, 2017 at 03:51 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

From price (new / grey market): 5D III, 5DS, 5DSR
If studio and landscape is not the main usage, 5D III is probably a steal now, grey market sells it under 2K, and you can pick up an used one here around $1500 (based on condition)

Edited on Mar 09, 2017 at 05:04 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

EB-1 wrote:
5D IV is the best all around.

EBH

Does the OP care?

Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:09 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Imagemaster wrote:
Does the OP care?

If he has the budget to consider a new 5DsR, there's not much difference in price for the 5D IV... and for an all-around camera, it's currently the best choice in the Canon system... so maybe the OP should care?

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:56 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

If you are not going to be printing walls sized murals, I think the 5DIV is a better fit. If you want museum gallery style giant prints, the 50MP will help. It will also help for extreme cropping of wildlife shots.

If I had the money, I'd go for the 5DIV

But I do know a photographer in town with a gallery who made $$$ in the past selling photos for $10-20k per print and is shooting with a 5DII........

Check out some of examples from both online on sites like flickr or 500px or viewbug for a good idea.

Mar 09, 2017 at 05:05 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Myself, I'd wait to see what the 6D2 brings to the table before buying, unless you have an immediate need, that is. In that case, given the options presented, I'd go for the 5DsR as moire should not be an issue with regards to landscapes and a high frame rate is not necessary, either.

Mar 09, 2017 at 06:33 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Out of those choices and if I didn't NEED 50mp, I'd go with the 5D3. It's a better, more rounded camera vs one that is sort of specialized. Now, if your content on spending the $3000ish for the 5DsR, I'd take a serious look at the 5D4. You'll loose the 20mp, if your worried about that, but gain a lot of things.

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

dtolios wrote:
If you don't have a budget issue, it is probably the 5DSR. 5DS a close second but still...a tad less refined IQ. Since there is virtually no downside to the R, just get the R.

Has anyone actually done an A:B test on the 5Ds and 5DsR to show that the difference in image quality is anything other than negligible?

Just curious, I know there's been a lot of discussion about it, but haven't seen any real-world tests.

For the OP, 5DIV; either 5Ds is overkill for most people, though if I could have only one, it'd be the 5Ds, no question.

Mar 09, 2017 at 11:30 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Good question, I think.

First, I see absolutely no reason to get the 5DS over the 5DS R. So the question, IMO, is between the 5D3 and the 5DS R.

I have both. I've had the 5D3 for five years, and still love it. I wanted a second FF body in anticipation of a trip to Africa later this year, and considered the 5D4, another 5D3, a 6D, and the 5DS R.

I ultimately rejected the 5D4, because (i) they aren't really available used, and I don't consider it enough of an improvement over the 5D3 (for my purposes) to warrant the price tag.

I bought a used 5DS R, because I think the extra pixels are useful for adding reach to telephotos, and I think it will add detail to landscapes.

I gave the pair their inauguration trip last week, and I really like the 5DS R. It's amazingly sharp (with good lenses, at least). It has a decent frame rate, although the buffer fills up fairly quickly. Its IQ is excellent.

For the price, if I were to choose one, I'd probably choose the 5D3. But the 5DS R would still be a strong contender. They are somewhat different, complementary, tools. You have to decide what's most important to you.

Mark

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

5D4

Mar 10, 2017 at 02:36 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Unless you need the enormous file sizes of the 5DSR, I would choose the 5D IV or 5D III, in that order. The III and IV are just marvelous all-round cameras for pro or amateur work.

I just upgraded to the IV bodies from the III, but I have nothing but praise for the 5D III.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

It's amazing how the responses in this thread are all over the map.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

RogerZoul wrote:
It's amazing how the responses in this thread are all over the map.

Everyone has different needs, wants, and likes, and different opinions on how others should spend their money...

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

molson wrote:
Everyone has different needs, wants, and likes, and different opinions on how others should spend their money...

This is true! Still, given that the OP framed the question in regards to his/her needs and wants...there is yet no meeting of the minds?

I frankly would go with the 5D4 seeing how it is a very good general purpose camera with fresh tech. I think someone needing a 5DSr would not be asking the question....and unless you are interested in saving money, why buy an outdated 5D3?

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

Opinions are like...noses...we all have one...

But beyond preference, I think nobody disagrees that:

5DSR is the best if IQ is the want. Cons, it is expensive for many, files are "yuge" & buffer/fps are a bit lacking - tho you can do lots with 5fps.

5D4 is the best all-around, great IQ and with its FPS/Buffer/AF combination can be more versatile than the S. Cons: it is expensive, or more accurately, it reset the price ... 5D line for the last decade was ~$3,500 for the first 2-3 years after launchof a model, something ppl conveniently forget.

5D3 is dated, but...good enough and far cheaper than the other two. Cons lower IQ and less malleable files at all ISOs than
both above, older AF than both above. Was the 5D4 of its time, thus the best selling DSLR EVER, and in some ways its hubris/G.A.S./silly to ask for more but...more is available.

MOAR!

Edited on Mar 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon EOS 5DSR, 5DS, or 5DIII

RogerZoul wrote:
This is true! Still, given that the OP framed the question in regards to his/her needs and wants...there is yet no meeting of the minds?

I frankly would go with the 5D4 seeing how it is a very good general purpose camera with fresh tech. I think someone needing a 5DSr would not be asking the question....and unless you are interested in saving money, why buy an outdated 5D3?

And the OP never asked about the 5D4, and I never knew an outdated 5D3 was no good anymore. I even think used 5D3's, bought for a lot less, still do the job.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.