New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · US versus Non-US lens

tmpollard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · US versus Non-US lens

I've been watching some 70-200mm lenses on eBay and am wondering if it is a US lens but since you are not the original owner will Nikon honor any of the remaining years of the warranty?

Is it also true that if the lens is a Non-US version that Nikon will not work on it if it needs repairing?

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:02 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · US versus Non-US lens

Nikon's warranty is only for the original owner who purchases a lens from an authorized dealer. If the lens is an import Nikon USA will not work on it, but Nikon authorized repair stations will. As these authorized repair stations are just as good and are often faster and cheaper, then Nikon USA, there is disadvantage to the end user. Hope this helps

Mar 09, 2017 at 11:52 AM
tmpollard
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · US versus Non-US lens

Thanks, does Nikon's site have a list of non-US certified repair people?

Mar 09, 2017 at 03:30 PM
jasonkuo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · US versus Non-US lens

APS (http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/) does not distinguish between US and Import. As long as they have they parts, they will service it, at least that's what they told me when I called. I think the tricky part is whether or not they have the parts, whereas with a US version you have the full set of options and you know they have the parts.

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:29 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · US versus Non-US lens

Nikon does not always have parts in stock either.

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:43 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · US versus Non-US lens

1) Yes, Nikon warranty technically is not transferable.

2) Still, Nikon will very likely honor warranty service, if needed, as long as the lens is a US version, and a copy of the original sales receipt is presented (regardless of the name on the receipt). This has been my personal experience with Nikon Service in Los Angeles with at least two used lenses I had purchased.

3) Nikon USA will NOT work on any non-US (grey import) lens or body, regardless of the warranty (i.e., even if one wants to pay for repair).

4) Other Nikon-authorized service centers (as listed here for any given Nikon product) will not distinguish between US and import models, as long as they have the parts from Nikon for repair.

5) Nikon may not provide parts for 3rd-party authorized repair centers for some of the newer lenses/bodies. This would certainly be a risk with grey import lenses/bodies. Nikon has recently been adding certain camera bodies to the list of products that can be repaired by 3rd-party service centers, which means that they will be able to get any required parts. When you click on the link I provided above, and search for a product, it will list the authorized repair centers, and if Nikon Service Center is the only one listed, you would know that there might be some risk with part availability for that particular product at 3rd-party repair centers. That does not necessarily mean that they won't have the parts, as it will depend on exactly what parts may be required for repair. But it is just some risk to account for when considering the price delta between US and import models.

Mar 09, 2017 at 05:04 PM
jasonkuo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · US versus Non-US lens

Regarding the parts availability, here's an example I got from calling APS, as I was unsure if a 24mm f/1.4G lens was USA or not: They said that they are able to get most parts for that lens, but not all of them. So technically, if you had an import of that particular lens and they happened to be missing the part you needed for the repair, you'd be out of luck.

Mar 09, 2017 at 05:58 PM
tmpollard
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · US versus Non-US lens

tmpollard wrote:
Thanks, does Nikon's site have a list of non-US certified repair people?

Thank you

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.