Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · First time shooting swimming

tjbel05
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First time shooting swimming

So I have never shot a swim meet before and the lighting is a challenge...usually hockey, football, marathons..etc. Your thoughts?

© tjbel05 2017

"Fly"

© tjbel05 2017

© tjbel05 2017

© tjbel05 2017

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:55 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time shooting swimming

1... Looks really good.
2... No. Shot 4 is much better both technically and athletically.
3... Good just go tighter.
4... see above. Usually with the frees you want to show that arm above water in the stroke like you have here.
5... also very good.

Only crits are the noise. I know lighting is terrible in these venues but these are REALLY noisy. They are also underexposed. What body and what settings?

Mar 08, 2017 at 05:30 PM
tjbel05
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time shooting swimming

Nikon D3s, ISO 10,000, 1/800 f 2.8

Mar 08, 2017 at 05:47 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time shooting swimming

tjbel05 wrote:
Nikon D3s, ISO 10,000, 1/800 f 2.8

Fair enough.

Mar 08, 2017 at 07:54 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time shooting swimming

P Alesse, shot 2 is a photo of the swimmer doing a turn, not swimming. The swimmer's right hand is touching the wall and his legs are curled up beneath him. I think it is a good shot because it shows the swimmer gasping for air as he is probably pretty winded.

TJ, try getting the breaststroke shots showing the swimmer's hands coming out of the water on the recovery. If you can get the swimmer coming to the surface but still a tad underwater, after the underwaters, you'll get interesting shots. I have found that shooting breaststroke from the sides is a bit better.

As you shoot more swimming you'll get better. Outdoor pools are much better for lighting, of course. But since you're in Maine, my guess is that the outdoor season is about 3 days long.

Keep it up. You'll be fine.

Mar 09, 2017 at 06:35 AM
tjbel05
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time shooting swimming

MikalWGrass wrote:
P Alesse, shot 2 is a photo of the swimmer doing a turn, not swimming. The swimmer's right hand is touching the wall and his legs are curled up beneath him. I think it is a good shot because it shows the swimmer gasping for air as he is probably pretty winded.

TJ, try getting the breaststroke shots showing the swimmer's hands coming out of the water on the recovery. If you can get the swimmer coming to the surface but still a tad underwater, after the underwaters, you'll get interesting shots. I have found that shooting breaststroke from the sides
...Show more

...outdoor pool in Maine...HAHAHAHAHA

Mar 09, 2017 at 06:53 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time shooting swimming

MikalWGrass wrote:

Yup, I see it now. My bad.

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:56 AM
tjbel05
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First time shooting swimming

Thank you for the input. the noise is terrible. Part of that was the way I processed them to lighten them up (my bad). I have since bought a Nikon D4s and next season will be much better!

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:27 AM
brick33308
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First time shooting swimming

The noise is fine and can be easily cleaned up as shown below. More important that you used your camera correctly with those settings to capture the action. This is an excellent image.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Picture-hosting/n-7pK8V/i-ZPFHLwQ/0/O/i-ZPFHLwQ.jpg

Mar 10, 2017 at 01:45 PM
tjbel05
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First time shooting swimming

brick33308 wrote:
The noise is fine and can be easily cleaned up as shown below. More important that you used your camera correctly with those settings to capture the action. This is an excellent image.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Picture-hosting/n-7pK8V/i-ZPFHLwQ/0/O/i-ZPFHLwQ.jpg

Sweet... Thank you!

Mar 10, 2017 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.