Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

James Farrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

I now own two E-M1.2s as I like to thrash about in the wilderness and other places when and where I don't want to have to change lenses often. However, this practice exposes the LCD to the very real possibility of getting scratched. So, I wonder what kind of LCD protection those of you who have in fact applied something to your LCD use? There seems to be several choices of LCD covers that adhere without adhesives. Sounds like a good plan. Can you provide me with a name (link) to something you'd recommend based on experience? I have found several listings, for example on B&H, but they mention compatible for the E-M1.1 - are the LCDs of the E-M1.1 and E-M1.2 the same exact size?

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:06 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

Yes, the screens are exactly the same size. I have a screen protector (can't remember the brand) on my E-M1 but I am not planning on getting one for the E-M1.2. With a flip screen, you can always flip the screen before you put the camera back in your backpack, so the LCD is not exposed.

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

Yes, another plus with the Mk II, is being able to close the LCD screen, which I do 95% of the time.

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:56 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

I also just flip the screen for protection. LCD protectors are easy to mount and remove, but maybe not necessary on the Mk II. If you want to put one on just to be safe, I have found the Vello at B & H to be very good and compatible with touch screens.

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:06 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

Imagemaster wrote:
Yes, another plus with the Mk II, is being able to close the LCD screen, which I do 95% of the time.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Yes, flipping the screen shut on the E-M1.2's LCD takes care of the issue, as you say you do 95% of the time. However, it's that 5% of the time that I'll forget (likely when I am in a hurry to get a unique shot) that is when I'll probably scratch the LCD.

EDIT: One interesting notation I found RE the Vello screen protector listing on B&H - it says that LCD cover may not lock when the Vello protector is mounted. I had not thought about this possibility. Not having the LCD cover lock would be more of a structural risk to the whole LCD than the risk of a scratch. Oh well....

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:42 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

I cut out a small piece of screen protector plastic that I bought from staples for smart phones. It was like $5 for a pack or 10 sheets. Thin enough to allow the screen to close, but still allows use of the touch functionality while offering some protection.

Mar 08, 2017 at 06:38 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

Most LCD screen protectors are quite thin - so I don't see this to be a problem - unless the film is thicker than usual.

James Farrell wrote:
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Yes, flipping the screen shut on the E-M1.2's LCD takes care of the issue, as you say you do 95% of the time. However, it's that 5% of the time that I'll forget (likely when I am in a hurry to get a unique shot) that is when I'll probably scratch the LCD.

EDIT: One interesting notation I found RE the Vello screen protector listing on B&H - it says that LCD cover may not lock when the Vello protector is mounted. I had not thought about this possibility. Not having the LCD cover lock
...Show more

Mar 08, 2017 at 06:38 PM
M Lee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

I can confirm - my screen would not close with the Vello protector applied. I had to take it off.

Mar 08, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

There's an interesting difference between Olympus and Panasonic here. I haven't used the E-M1 II, but if I remember correctly from the Mark I, the camera forces the use of the LCD once the "menu" button is pushed and even when reviewing photos, also when the viewing choice is set to "viewfinder only".

With Panasonic, the menu and the review of photos will appear in the viewfinder if the LCD is closed or "viewfinder only" is chosen. That enables me to close the LCD 100% of the time, which is what I mostly do when I don't have a specific need for it due to shooting angle etc.

Has this been changed with the E-M1 II? If not, it shouldn't be difficult for Olympus to change it with a firmware upgrade.

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:13 PM
M Lee

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

Yes, the E-M1 II will allow review of photos and all the menus in the viewfinder when the LCD is shut. That is how I've been using mine since I found that the Vello kept it from closing properly.

Mar 09, 2017 at 05:05 AM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LCD Protection for E-M1.2?

M Lee wrote:
I can confirm - my screen would not close with the Vello protector applied. I had to take it off.

Thanks for this info.

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.