New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

My backorder for this lens has just shipped from B&H. Hoping to do some infinity and astro testing Saturday or Monday (on A7R2)

Edited on Mar 09, 2017 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:19 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

mcbroomf wrote:
My backorder for this lens has just shipped from B&H. Hoping to do some infinity and astro testing Saturday or Monday (on A7R2)

Awesome! Looking forward to the results.... The longer it takes for the 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, the more I am considering one of these wide, fast options.

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:21 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

I'm also interested in how well this lens does since I couldn't find a good copy of the FE 14mm F/2.8 (though the adapted Canon version I had was great but sadly was lost). Looking forward to seeing some images with the F/2.4!

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:39 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Mike, you meant "XP" and not "SP", right? Hm, I noticed that both designations are being used on the B&H site. Nevermind then... .

Did you get the Canon mount? I cancelled my pre-order since it wasn't available before I left on a trip.

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

mcbroomf wrote:

Excellent! I've been thinking about this lens.

Thanks for doing this!
Chris

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:36 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

AGeoJO wrote:
Mike, you meant "XP" and not "SP", right? Hm, I noticed that both designations are being used on the B&H site. Nevermind then... .

Did you get the Canon mount? I cancelled my pre-order since it wasn't available before I left on a trip.

Yes you're right, it's the XP, I just looked at my order and typed SP. Not sure why B&H call it an SP, could be a typo as they're adjacent keys.

I got the Canon so that I can get exif info with the Sony and a Metabones, and I still have my old 1DS3 for rough use although it's not been out for years. If this copy doesn't do well then I doubt I'll ask for another. I tried 3 copies of the AF version and while some corners could be good there was always something that held it back. There's the new Sigma to try if this doesn't pan out.

I edited the title so that it will search OK on XP

Mar 08, 2017 at 06:29 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

rparchen wrote:
I'm also interested in how well this lens does since I couldn't find a good copy of the FE 14mm F/2.8 (though the adapted Canon version I had was great but sadly was lost). Looking forward to seeing some images with the F/2.4!

Huh same here! I had a great Canon version of the Samyang 14; but not knowing how variable it is I sold and got an FE version when I went to Sony when the original A7r came out. It was terrible, as were the replacements before I gave up. Wonder if there was a systematic problem with the line when they made a batch of FE versions?

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:28 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

DavidBM wrote:
Huh same here! I had a great Canon version of the Samyang 14; but not knowing how variable it is I sold and got an FE version when I went to Sony when the original A7r came out. It was terrible, as were the replacements before I gave up. Wonder if there was a systematic problem with the line when they made a batch of FE versions?

I also had problems with the Sony E mount version of this lens. I managed to not sell my canon copy that was pretty good first so I just gave up and use the canon version on a metabones.

Chris

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:04 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

mcbroomf wrote:
Yes you're right, it's the XP, I just looked at my order and typed SP. Not sure why B&H call it an SP, could be a typo as they're adjacent keys.

I got the Canon so that I can get exif info with the Sony and a Metabones, and I still have my old 1DS3 for rough use although it's not been out for years. If this copy doesn't do well then I doubt I'll ask for another. I tried 3 copies of the AF version and while some corners could be good there was always something that held it back.
...Show more

The Sigma sounds really great and based on the recent reputation of their Art series lenses, I would feel more confident that it would deliver over the Samyang/Rokinon. However, it is a faster and it is an AF lens, which by themselves are actually very positive. However, those two features will add to the weight and bulk, I am afraid .

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:15 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

I have one coming tomorrow as well but I need to find an adapter. I think my local camera store has the MC-11 in stock so I may pick up one of these.

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Anxious to hear your experiences with the new lens!

Mar 09, 2017 at 07:01 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

rji2goleez wrote:
I have one coming tomorrow as well but I need to find an adapter. I think my local camera store has the MC-11 in stock so I may pick up one of these.

I plan to use an MC-11 and a Metabones IV. I know the Sigma adapter is spot on for infinity while the Metabones are a tad short (ie I can focus past infinity). It will be interesting to see if there's a visible difference when focusing on the center.

Mine will be here today but they usually deliver pretty late so I'm not sure I'll be able to do a diagonal infinity test. It should be clear tonight though with a snow storm coming in tomorrow so I'll do an astro check at least.

Mike

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:09 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

My lens arrived by Fedex at midday (UPS are usually late in the day) so I was able to do some preliminary tests. As a simple 1st check I slapped an adapter on it, focused in the center on the roof and trees of my back neighbour at high mag, then moved the focus point to one of the corners. The corner was terrible! I checked another corner and got the same thing. I had put on an MB IV adapter and it was focusing on infinity well before the stop, so I switched over to an MC-11 which only went a fraction of a turn to the stop past infinity. Completely different lens! Well we've seen this before but not sure I have on my own lens. All tests below with the Sigma.

This lens is definitely better than the 14mm AF Rokinon lenses I tried. I think it's also better than an older MF Rokinon that I sold but perhaps not better than a very good one. It seems pretty well centered but it takes ~F4 to really shine in the corners. It will be clear tonight so I'll point it at some stars.

The crops below were taken @WO, 2.8, 4 and 5.6. Tripod, no IBIS, remote. The WO shows up as F2.2 in the camera and LR and I got the same with both the MB and Sigma adapters. I was also going to try it on a Viltriox but it would not go on and I wasn't about to force it.

1/2 way through creating the jpgs I realized I left my LR import preset on, so it's got CA reduction and my pretty aggressive capture sharpening and other tweaks. I'll upload some default files when I have some more time.

Sorry they are a little large

Bottom left

Top right

Top left

Bottom right

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Thanks so much for the tests! I wonder what the real t-stop of this lens is... the other old Rokinon was like 3.2 I think. I'd also be interested in any vignetting report. It was pretty severe on the old lens.

Thanks!
Chris

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:25 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

These look pretty good actually. You can see the vignetting wide open but it doesn't look bad really. Also, corner sharpness gets much better at f/2.8 which is a great sign. Mine arrived at my home but I'm still at work. I'll be doing some tests with the MC-11 which I picked up today!

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:34 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Schlotkins wrote:
Thanks so much for the tests! I wonder what the real t-stop of this lens is... the other old Rokinon was like 3.2 I think. I'd also be interested in any vignetting report. It was pretty severe on the old lens.

Thanks!
Chris

I reset the LR settings on the files and uploaded the WO and 5.6 diagonals (full shots), and also some quick P&S tests I took after the lens test. They are at various apertures in the gallery below and you can see the settings in the exif below the image. They are all saved as 50% res if you select Original but I think it's enough to see what's going on. I don't have a way of uploading raws.
http://www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield/14mm_sp_rokinon_lens_tests
Note : I did not redo the crops with default LR settings.

I have 2 batteries on charge for my Canon 1Ds3 and plan to shoot the lens on that over the weekend. If it's better than using it with the Sigma adapter I will try doing a custom shim on one of my MB4 adapters just for this lens to hit infinity spot on to see if it gets a little better.

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:02 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Aargh, just remembered that EFC was on, so that will interfere with any vignetting conclusions, WO especially which was 1/2500 for the most part I think

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:04 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

BTW Rok/Sam etc must have changed the name of the lens. Despite it still appearing as XP on their website it is SP on the box.

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:19 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Here's are crops from the top left corner and center from a shot taken from the front of my house. Pretty bright moon, not ideal to test. 1st crop is the center, WO to verify focus, then WO, 2.8 and F4 crops 8 secs, all from the top left only. No star in the very corner but quite close. Coma seems low to me. I forgot and imported with my preset again.

Have to check the other corners and this lens on my Canon but we have snow coming in tonight with no clear skies until Sunday am when it will be 10F ...

Added to the previous gallery link as well

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:47 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SP/XP 14mm /2.4 Rokinon testing and images

Mike, thank you for evaluating the lens. It seems to be a more than decent performer with respect to coma to me. As such, the lens appears to be a contender for an excellent astro lens . Do you think the other corners perform similarly to the top left corner that you looked at though? Thanks again!

Mar 10, 2017 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password