New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

I thought it would be good for anyone who has good success with Birds in Flight shots to share their BIF "Case" settings.

As a reminder, the 3 settings are:

1. Tracking Sensitivity – How fast the autofocus reacts to a new object entering the scene.
2. Acceleration / Deceleration Tracking – How sensitive the autofocus is to objects speeding up and slowing down.
3. AF Point Auto Switching – The speed that the autofocus system switches focus points when AF Point expansion is being used.

Here are the guidelines:

1. Specifiy if this is for a specific type of flight - i.e. steady flight like geese, pelicans, eagles, etc., or sudden darting flight like small passerines, swallows, etc.

2. DO NOT list the Case number. Just specify the 3 parameters in parantheses, like (-1, 0, 0). Since everyone modifies the values in the pre-assigned cases, specifying Case 2 or Case 3 makes no sense.

I'll start.

For steady fliers like geese, eagles, pelicans, etc. I have been using (-2, 1, 1). I have experimented with (-2, 0, 0) and (-2, 0,1) but haven't seen any consistent trends to make any conclusions.

Please contribute and let's see if we can come up with a consensus "best known method."

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

I've experimented a lot in the field on which settings work for me at BIFs. The following settings are my final choices for all my BIF shooting:

Case 6 (0, 1, 1)
AI servo 1st image priority - Focus
AI servo 2nd image priority - Focus
iTR AF OFF

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:16 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

I mix it up. Hard not to mention a Case # but I do customize them. I use the detail set in custom settings to bring up functions I need.

AF-ON activates AI Servo. Here I pre-select the case number which is usually 2. I use this for precise tracking which is single point or expansion. Sometimes small zone (just started experimenting with it).

TS - 2

Ac/Dc 1

AFSW 0

* Button activates AI Servo, 65 point zone and Case 6

TS - 2

Ac/Dc 1

AFSW 2

I toggle back and forth between them based on the environment and conditions.

I used to set AI servo 1st and 2nd image priority to Focus but since watching a few Grant Atkinson videos and a blog by sports shooter Read Miller I set them back to factory of Equal.

iTR has been disabled since I got my 7D2 and is disabled in my 5D4. I plan to give it a serious go this summer with my 5D4.

In summary as far as the parameters go I think TS is the most critical setting for BIF. I have done controlled tests (of which I have images) of how TS from - 2 to +2 responds using the centre point in combination with the expansion points. I also tested to see of TS from -2 to +2 to see if it effects initial AF acquisition. It has no effect on a new defocused start point or subject. It only comes into play after it focuses, starts to track and another object/s come into the active AF point area.

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:02 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

For those that may be new to the advanced Canon AF, note that the following settings only have an effect if more than a single point is enabled (ie expansion, zone or Auto), they have NO effect in single point shooting at all.

Acceleration / Deceleration Tracking – How sensitive the autofocus is to objects speeding up and slowing down.
AF Point Auto Switching – The speed that the autofocus system switches focus points when AF Point expansion is being used.

Don't have the 7D2 but on the 1DX and 5D4 have case 2 as default with single point, but can switch to case 6 with 8 point expansion and parameters similar to Romy's by pushing either MFn2 button (1DX) or AF-On button (5D4)

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:15 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

I have the three autofocus parameters in My Menu and can change them quicker than navigating through the menus. I don't use Cases at all. I've read many posts on the Interweb suggesting that the different Cases have unique focus properties. Never read snything confirming this from Canon.

Usually tracking is -2, acceleration 0 or 1 and switching is also 0 or 1. First and second image priority is full focus. I also set the if focus not possible to keep trying. Don't want to have the camera to make the decision to give up focusing.

I also use expansion four or eight. Don't use spot because, for me, it's too unreliable. ITR is always off.

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:52 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

mogud wrote:
I have the three autofocus parameters in My Menu and can change them quicker than navigating through the menus. I don't use Cases at all. I've read many posts on the Interweb suggesting that the different Cases have unique focus properties. Never read snything confirming this from Canon.

Usually tracking is -2, acceleration 0 or 1 and switching is also 0 or 1. First and second image priority is full focus. I also set the if focus not possible to keep trying. Don't want to have the camera to make the decision to give up focusing.

I also use expansion four or
...Show more

There was finally confirmation from Canon from either Rudy or Chuck via an email to a poster on CR forums that said that the Cases have no special baked in magic. Doing as you do and using each individual slider option is no different than selecting a default case or modifying a default case in AF1 menu.

I just leave everything on default Case 1 and all the image priorities on default. I will switch to Case 2 with TS modified to -2 if I know I will have trees in my way at some point tracking the bird. I will also use Case 6 (unmodified) for swallows in flight against blue sky with 65 pt Auto Selection (camera chooses start point).

Mar 08, 2017 at 09:10 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

For my blazing fast dog I found Case 3 with all AF points worked the best.
Ordinarily, I just used Case 1.
The key, as Arash points out in his e-book, is to acquire focus when the subject is at least the size of the spot metering circle.

Mar 08, 2017 at 09:29 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

arbitrage wrote:
There was finally confirmation from Canon from either Rudy or Chuck via an email to a poster on CR forums that said that the Cases have no special baked in magic. Doing as you do and using each individual slider option is no different than selecting a default case or modifying a default case in AF1 menu.

I just leave everything on default Case 1 and all the image priorities on default. I will switch to Case 2 with TS modified to -2 if I know I will have trees in my way at some point tracking the bird. I will
...Show more

I pretty much support that. Can set Case 1 to match any of the other 5 and yield the same results. I only use the Case numbers so that I don't need a notepad in the field. This is why I left Case 1 at factory and call it the steak and potatoes settings. The rest are garnish. I have had very successful BIF with steady larger non to erratic birds using Case 1. The challenge is smaller and very erratic birds that takes some tweaking.

If I want to track single bird I use case 2 with TS -2. If I want to track two birds and flip back and forth between then I use Case 3 with TS +2.

Edited on Mar 08, 2017 at 10:10 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2017 at 09:50 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

By the way I have watched Art Morris's videos and read his stuff. For a Canon made video he said he could do better than Canon. Since never uses case 3 he pushes the pedal to the metal using that case.

TS - 2

Ac/Dc +2

AFSW +2

Although Canon lists you can use expansion in Cases 5 and 6 (you notice AFSW goes from from 0 to 1) he also says AFSW increase does nothing for expansion mode. After reading tons of Canon documentation I agree with him. I'm not saying it is not doing anything but it does not do much for me. I long ago reserved cases 5 and 6 for Zone AF only.

If I'm tracking a fly, only one AF point covers it and as the fly moves around the AF points will toggle to keep the fly on one of the points. If I'm tracking a goose and all 5 points are on the body the centre point may lose contrast momentarily and hand off to an outer point. Once contrast is good again the centre will pick up again. In both scenarios if my TS is set to -2 I can go completely off target for a second and the system gives me time to find it before it looks for something else to focus on. Even if they switch faster I have to be just as diligent tracking.

Even if the points switch faster I have not found great benefits to it yet. However in zone you see a clear difference between 0 and 2.

Mar 08, 2017 at 10:09 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Some of the "pro" recommendations:

Martin Belan Photography
http://blog.martinbelan.com/2015/08/canon-7d-mark-ii-for-bird-photography/
(-2, +2, +2)

Steve Blandin
https://bestbirdphotographytours.blog/2014/12/16/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-af-settings-for-bird-wildlife-photography/
(-1, 2, 1)

Tim Boyer Photography
http://www.timboyerphotography.com/2015/01/how-to-set-up-the-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-part-3-auto-focus-and-flight-photography/
(-2, 0, 0) for normal birds
Case 5 or 6 for swallows, etc.

Looks like everyone agrees that the tracking sensitivity should be reduced to -1 or -2. The other two parameters seems to be mixed, but generally either unchanged, or bumped up.

By the way, our own Glenn Bartley has recommendations in his setup guide but since you have to purchase it, I will not post any content from it unless he does it himself.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Yes it is. I think the explanations are misleading in the manual. Case 2 lowers TS which is better for BIF. Case 3 which is the opposite of case 2 raises TS. The manual says Case 3 immediately focuses in something entering the AF points. This does not have anything to do with faster initial AF acquisition speed. It is assumed you were already focused on something else first.

So lets talk about Tim Boyer. Case 5 or 6 for swallows which is what I would choose. I have read the TS -2 part but never got to Cases 5 and 6. Is he in expansion or Zone AF? If in expansion the AF points won't follow the bird around the viewfinder. Since you have selected a primary AF point to work with surrounded by assist points to help the centre point you still need to move that camera around just as quickly as using Case 2. I'll read the rest of that blog.

Now if you apply zone AF then there are more AF points available to help track the bird as you move your cam around to keep up with it. In both those Cases AFSW is increased which makes using zone AF for those 2 makes more sense to me.

Set ASFW to 0. Pick a stationary subject on the left or right, focus on it and then sweep the camera to one side. Now try that set at 2.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

This is my Case # basic breakdown. I was not 100% completely sure about Case 4 until Canon released the 1DX II AF guide which clearly states that.

Case 1. Base setting that will cover most shooting situations.

Case 2. If AF point/s go off your subject AF will hang on and not refocus instantly on something else to give you time to reacquire your original subject. This includes your subject being obstructed by something else.

Case 3. The opposite of Case 2. System will immediately refocus on another subject when AF point/s fall on it.

Case 4. System is more sensitive to objects moving to towards and away which includes abrupt stops/starts and increase/decrease in speed from a start point to a finish point.

Case 5. System is more sensitive to left, right, up and down movement.

Case 6. Combines Cases 4 and 5.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Sorry for hogging. Tim Boyer is basically saying the same thing I think. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:38 PM
skinnydipper

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Interesting post.

My current settings can be thought of as a blend of Case 5 and Case 2.

According to the Canon manual, Case 5 is for subjects which keep at more or less constant speed, but change direction. The example given in the manual is figure skating, which strikes me as broadly similar to birds flying. But Case 2 is interesting as it helps to avoid the tracking being seduced by obstructions (like trees in the background).

So combining Cases 5 and 2 seems sensible, and when I do this I get settings of -1, 0, 1.

I guess if you had very challenging subjects like swallows then bumping up the accel/decel to +1 would likely help.

Just one point - I'm using a 1DXII and 5DIII - not sure the 7DII would require different settings, but I'd guess not??

Mike

Mar 08, 2017 at 06:27 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

I don't think the 7D2 it would be different. They all do the same thing. It is just processing power and the 1DX II is probably more responsive going from -1 to +1 than the 7D2 will.

Mar 08, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Scrumhalf wrote:
Our own Glenn Bartley has recommendations in his setup guide but since you have to purchase it, I will not post any content from it unless he does it himself.

Yes, but he also offers this video on YouTube:

Mar 09, 2017 at 11:05 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Hey, I didn't even know 7DII had those five AF Tracking cases like 1DX.
No wander all of my BIF shots with 7DII, as well as older cameras which didn't have that feature, look like crap.

Mar 09, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Case 1 should easily capture steady birds even if fast. I've done to see if what Rudy Winston is telling me is correct. With birds fast approaching you some intervention is required.

If they are flying across the screen without erratic movement it is a cakewalk in Case 1 even as I said if it is fast.

My 3rd outing in 2009 with my 7D. I set the TS to -2 and shot like that for 5 years.

~original[/IMG]

~original[/IMG]

~original[/IMG]

Mar 09, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

Not everyone shares my thoughts on this. While the Case numbers are a valuable tool I have seen too many new people to this camera get caught up in them thinking they needed to be mastered before a decent shot could be had. AF point selection, appropriate shutter speeds and technique will take a person much further than mucking around with the parameters. First you need to learn now to use and trust AI Servo process.

I read a lot of articles about AF. It is only about one thing - contrast. It sees it or it doesn't therefor it either focuses or it doesn't. Success rate depends on the camera's AF point design, the age of lenses and TC's. We have no fine tuning contrast adjustment to set. We only have 1st and 2nd priority to instruct the camera how quickly to shoot after AF as been acquired.

After AF is acquired then tracking kicks in and the tracking parameters kick in. I wanted to see the effect of TS at -2 and +2 doing initial AF acquisition. I could not see how one could test this in the field as no bird ever flies the same way twice and it would be virtually impossible to place the centre AF point on the exact same spot every time to insure apples to apples are being compared.

I put my cam on a tripod and placed it in AI Servo. I picked a high contrast target. I put tape on my lens barrel and marked it so I would defocus the same amount every time between each test. There was no noticeable difference in initial AF acquisition time between TS -2 or -2. It just works on detecting contrast.

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Please share your 7D2 BIF settings

My next series of tests were how do the assist points work in expansion mode. I used two equally high contrast targets and placed one behind the other.

Fame 1 - Defocused and using 4 point expansion.

~original[/IMG]

Frame 2 - 5 points on the front target

~original[/IMG]

Frame 3 - 1 moved the cam to the left until the centre point fell onto the back target and the right assist point was still on the front target. I could have held it like that all day.

~original[/IMG]

Frame 4 - I moved all points onto the back target and it refocused on the back target.

~original[/IMG]

Frame 5 - In this one I defocused and placed the centre point on the back target and as close to the front target as could so the right assist point was on the front target. It focused in the back traget using the centre point.

~original[/IMG]

In conclusion. When doing this test repeatedly I tried TS - 2 and +2 for the Frame 3 test where the right assist point held AF on the front target and then I moved them all onto the back target - Frame 4. Here was the difference. A definite delay with -2 as opposed to an immediate refocusing on the back target in +2.

Edited on Mar 09, 2017 at 11:43 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.