New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Curious about

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Curious about

the applied grain aesthetic. (HP5 if anyone is curious)

Bob

Mar 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Curious about

The lack of effect on the lettering makes the lettering very prominent (combined with its tonal value) as the rest of the image takes on a more homogenous, "gray-er" tonality.

Mar 07, 2017 at 08:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Curious about

Consider trimming a bit from the left and top. Does have a different "squinty" feel suggesting doubt or suspicion.

Mar 07, 2017 at 09:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Curious about

Is there some dodging around the head?

Scott

Mar 08, 2017 at 06:51 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Curious about

RustyBug wrote:
The lack of effect on the lettering makes the lettering very prominent (combined with its tonal value) as the rest of the image takes on a more homogenous, "gray-er" tonality.

---------------------------------------------

AuntiPode wrote:
Consider trimming a bit from the left and top. Does have a different "squinty" feel suggesting doubt or suspicion.

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
Is there some dodging around the head?

Scott

Thanks for everyone's input...I've included an example illustrating straight digital versus a film aesthetic, digital on left, a baseline HP5 Plus emulation on the right. No other modifications/adjustments done.

Grossly oversimplified, digital cameras are capable of capturing far greater detail than film cameras. Additionally for film other parameters in play include speed, ASA, (ISO), development time, developer, and the response curve for that particular production run of film to name a few.

All that said, I'm of the opinion a film aesthetic can be more appealing for particular images.

Scott- re dodging - none was done. That is an artifact of the emulation and modeling of the film response to the clouds.

I did a quick check re grain distribution. Suffice it to say the distribution can be approximated by a Gaussian distribution and grain is more dense for dark tonal values (more development) than light (more paper - paper base defining the 'white' value). Of course this is all confounded by digital noise.

Film emulation aesthetics are often described has having an 'organic' feel/look compared to digital - pleasing to some, not pleasing to others.

Anyway, what little I know/remember at this point - I'll keep playing.

Adding full image for viewing comparison.

Bob

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.