New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Hair Light for Birds... Question

Bruce n Philly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

Hair Light for birds? whaaa

I am creating a little home studio outside at my bird feeder and want to flash a hair light. I want the bird to stand out from the background.. Some tips please:

1 - Is there some standard approach? Distance and power?
2 - How high or to the side do you recommend?
3 - It is called a hair light no?

Canon 5DSr, 580EXII, Yongnuo transmitters, light stands.. I have two 580s and transmitters.. but I don't think I need both..no?

I paste a sheet of mat board to my house window I picked up from Michael's as a background. Then I set the camera up on a tripod and fire the system using a Photolex remote trigger.... as I am sitting in my kitchen drinking Pilsner Urquels.

For the pic below I was experimenting with a red background.... think I will go back to my blue or green one tomorrow. I believe I used a flash set on a stand near the bird but I think I just dusted the red card as I was getting some shadows from the surrounding on the trees and I wanted to wash them out. But see how I would like to get this guy to pop from the background?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Mar 07, 2017 at 10:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

For some kind of of rim/separation light angle and power are pretty forgiving (especially without skin blowing out). There is no magic formula, just what you like. Get a stuffed toy or something and experiment.

A wild bird against a flat coloured background looks a little odd to me I have to say! Isn't them in their natural habitat a more interesting wildlife shot?

Mar 07, 2017 at 11:05 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

Mark_L wrote:
For some kind of of rim/separation light angle and power are pretty forgiving (especially without skin blowing out). There is no magic formula, just what you like. Get a stuffed toy or something and experiment.

A wild bird against a flat coloured background looks a little odd to me I have to say! Isn't them in their natural habitat a more interesting wildlife shot?

+1 on the unnatural colored bg.

little song birds sometime get lost in a cluttered background. i believed the intent is to isolate the bird from the bg.

imo, a bg with hues of sunsets, sunrises, or blue sky would be a better choice.

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Bruce n Philly
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

Ok, I thought I would have some fun posting my experiment with a red background.... here is a blue one.

So help me with a hair light.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

psharvic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

Solid color BG's are ? in nature. Here is a BG photo that I used to make a printed BG card for wild flowers. Maybe not the best but an example of what is natural.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:39 AM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

I love that background image!

As for a bird "hairlight", I would think that a flash at 1/64 power with one of those Honl grids would work nicely. You could zoom the flash to it's most narrow setting but you'd still get more of a wide-spread light pattern than with a grid.

Mar 09, 2017 at 07:58 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hair Light for Birds... Question

Bruce n Philly wrote:
3 - It is called a hair light no?

No, it's a feather light.

Mar 11, 2017 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password