FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

nismoxr34
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

It's pretty tough to get a good perspective of horsetail falls, something different than what we see posted on Instagram and online. There is just a very limited view of the falls, and you have to hope that the water can catch it just right as well. I ended up taking a risk on my only day up there, knowing that the weather would be completely sunny for two days and figured I try something different.

I had headed over to Horsetail Falls the year before, and got something similar. Here are two shots, one from last year, and this year. Last year was a treat, as the light retreated we were greeted with a yellow/red falls, but nothing spectacular in the water. This year was quite different.

2016:
http://kelvinkuo.com/images/Horsetail2016.jpg

2017:
http://kelvinkuo.com/images/Horsetail.jpg

Mar 07, 2017 at 05:41 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

I like your 2017 shot. Seems like the 2016 shot may have some white balance issues.

Mar 07, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

I much prefer the 2016 shot. It's a far better comp, plus the warm and cool tones are more compelling. You might want to warm it up a tad, though.

Mar 07, 2017 at 10:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

I agree with Kory, I prefer #1. The warm/cool tones work well together. If it was warmed up to correct for the cool face of the rock, then the waterfall would get blown out.

As for a different perspective, to me the perspective looks pretty normal in both. I have seen similar shots many times. It doesn't look like you had shot these from a different location? So I am not understanding your title.

Jim

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:46 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

Luvwine wrote:
I like your 2017 shot. Seems like the 2016 shot may have some white balance issues.

Thanks! Yes, it was kind of intentionally cooled. The auto white balance would have made the rock face grey, but there really wasn't any sunlight at the moment, only the cool skies above. I also wanted to color contrast to add a little more of a pop to it. I initially had an edit with the grey rock, but the color in the water that I remembered really didn't show up.

Thanks for the comments!

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:13 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

Kory Lidstrom wrote:
I much prefer the 2016 shot. It's a far better comp, plus the warm and cool tones are more compelling. You might want to warm it up a tad, though.

Thanks Kory, I'll have to do a little more tweaking again. I can see how it's a little too blue for some people, just thought it would add a nice contrast in comparison to what it looks like corrected.

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:14 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

JimFox wrote:
I agree with Kory, I prefer #1. The warm/cool tones work well together. If it was warmed up to correct for the cool face of the rock, then the waterfall would get blown out.

As for a different perspective, to me the perspective looks pretty normal in both. I have seen similar shots many times. It doesn't look like you had shot these from a different location? So I am not understanding your title.

Jim

Jim,

Yes it appears to be the same, actually I was down future into the valley for this year, while I was aligned with the river the year before.

This year, you couldn't make out the water unless the wind was blowing, only really able to make out the top of the falls. The angle of the ridge in front of the falls, in 2017 gives it a slightly tilted look. But in the normal perspective, the ridge isn't blocking any of the falls and shows the water falling straight below. Very subtle indeed, but it's hard to really explore the area when I only have time to be there for a day at a time!

Thank you for the comments!

Kelvin

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horsetail Falls, a different perspective

nismoxr34 wrote:
Jim,

Yes it appears to be the same, actually I was down future into the valley for this year, while I was aligned with the river the year before.

This year, you couldn't make out the water unless the wind was blowing, only really able to make out the top of the falls. The angle of the ridge in front of the falls, in 2017 gives it a slightly tilted look. But in the normal perspective, the ridge isn't blocking any of the falls and shows the water falling straight below. Very subtle indeed, but it's hard to really explore the area
...Show more

Depends on which day and where you were. Some days this year the temps were so cold that the water was flowing, but not a lot. Other days it was flowing more but on any day you could see the water if you were positioned so that you had a vantage point on the flow. Wind always helps the water be visible as the spray is nicely illuminated by the reflected light of the setting sun.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.