FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

The Firefall

Kory Lidstrom
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Firefall

In all my many years photographing the Big Island of Hawaii, I've never seen a lava flow like this. The size and power of this lava outpouring is mesmerizing! Ironically, it's not quite as photogenic as smaller, more elaborate flows since it's just a single hose of lava. What makes this flow special is the SIZE of it -- it must be a good 40 feet tall! Even the locals were saying they hadn't seen anything like it! Therefore, conveying the scale here is crucial, which is why I included a person in the frame. What do you think? Do you think the person adds or detracts from the image? I have a version without the person, of course, and could post it if you want to see it. Thanks for looking!

(Taken on my recent Big Island Workshop. Check my website soon for next year's workshop dates!)

EDIT: That upload is bigger than I thought, so here's a smaller version to make it easier to see all at once.

Mar 07, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Firefall

So cool! 2200 degree liquid rock pouring into the ocean! Congrats on this Kory!

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:00 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Firefall

I think the person helps. I've seen a lot of shots of this, but I can never tell if people are just zooming into a 3 foot stream.

Mar 08, 2017 at 05:12 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Firefall

Mark Metternich wrote:
So cool! 2200 degree liquid rock pouring into the ocean! Congrats on this Kory!

Thanks Mark. Always good to get your input.

kylebarendrick wrote:
I think the person helps. I've seen a lot of shots of this, but I can never tell if people are just zooming into a 3 foot stream.

Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

How about anyone else? 350+ views and only a couple replies?? Was hoping for more feedback on this.

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Vcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Firefall

I'm in agreement that the person helps for scale, love that they're in silhouette and the reflection on the water of the stream really helps the composition. great stuff.

Mar 08, 2017 at 08:51 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Firefall

Thanks, Vcook. Anyone else care to weigh in? The more feedback, the better.

Mar 10, 2017 at 01:54 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Firefall

Wow, what a shot..!!!

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo

Mar 10, 2017 at 03:48 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Firefall

Nice photo Kory. Normally not a fan of people in my landscapes, but this person sure does add a sense of scale to the scene.

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:10 PM
digital_AM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Firefall

What an amazing scene! I enjoyed the light reflecting off the water leading the viewer into the lava flow. Yes the person helps give the images a sense of scale. Well done.

Mar 20, 2017 at 09:02 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Firefall

Killer shot and the person really adds to it. it provides not only a sense of scale, but also a sense of futility and humility. Man cannot stop nature!
(He is perfectly placed)

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Firefall

Great shot...I like the person in it to see the scale (and maybe wonder on the sanity of said person) but if I was to buy a print of this I'd probably take the version without the person to hang on my wall.

TFS
Geoff

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Firefall

Lightsearcher wrote:
Wow, what a shot..!!!

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo

Thanks for the kind words.

Brad Williams wrote:
Nice photo Kory. Normally not a fan of people in my landscapes, but this person sure does add a sense of scale to the scene.

Thanks Brad, that's kind of how I feel about it, too.

digital_AM wrote:
What an amazing scene! I enjoyed the light reflecting off the water leading the viewer into the lava flow. Yes the person helps give the images a sense of scale. Well done.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Desmolicious wrote:
Killer shot and the person really adds to it. it provides not only a sense of scale, but also a sense of futility and humility. Man cannot stop nature!
(He is perfectly placed)

Thanks! Regarding his placement, he was actually a bit to the right, but I moved him to where I felt the most compelling place was.

arbitrage wrote:
Great shot...I like the person in it to see the scale (and maybe wonder on the sanity of said person) but if I was to buy a print of this I'd probably take the version without the person to hang on my wall.

TFS
Geoff

I hear you on the sanity thing! Truth is, there IS a small amount of risk standing there, but sometimes you gotta go for it! And, yes, I definitely have a version without the person.

Mar 21, 2017 at 05:00 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Firefall

Amazing shot Kory. I love it! I usually don't like people in a beautiful landscape shot, however, I think the person does not detract from the composition, but greatly helps to show the scale, because it's really like he is outside the picture looking in. I copied it and cropped it in PS to see what it would look like and if it was mine, I think I would really love the crop. It brings out the color. On the screen the pic was just under 6 inches wide and I took off about 5/8 off the right, 1/8 off the left, 1/2 off the top and 1 and 1/4 off the bottom, making the overall colorful area more of the photo. After doing that I would also move the guy in just a hair more, only until he gets too hot, of course.

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:21 PM
cmh512

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Firefall

Great shot, I definitely like the person in the frame. I might have tried a crop of the upper right of the photo putting the waterfall and person on the diagonal and filling more of the frame with the waterfall and just a bit of reflection.

Thanks for sharing this.

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:45 AM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Firefall

Norman my love wrote:
Amazing shot Kory. I love it! I usually don't like people in a beautiful landscape shot, however, I think the person does not detract from the composition, but greatly helps to show the scale, because it's really like he is outside the picture looking in. I copied it and cropped it in PS to see what it would look like and if it was mine, I think I would really love the crop. It brings out the color. On the screen the pic was just under 6 inches wide and I took off about 5/8 off the right,
...Show more

cmh512 wrote:
Great shot, I definitely like the person in the frame. I might have tried a crop of the upper right of the photo putting the waterfall and person on the diagonal and filling more of the frame with the waterfall and just a bit of reflection.

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks to both of your for your crop suggestions, the feedback is appreciated!

Mar 22, 2017 at 04:37 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Firefall

Sweet...the person really does emphasize the perspective.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Firefall

Spectacular !!!

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:06 AM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Firefall

That's an amazing photo, and having the person included not only emphasizes scale, but it really adds to the drama of the shot in this case. Incredible!

Andy

Mar 26, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Firefall

so cool

Mar 26, 2017 at 07:02 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Firefall

Thanks again all. Sounds like the person in the shot did help, which is precisely the type of feedback I needed.

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password