New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Long lens & A6000 / A6300

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long lens & A6000 / A6300

I've been using an A6000 for a couple years now and have always been annoyed by a bit of lens droop when on tripod, even with modest-sized lenses. The droop comes from flex in the camera body and an imperfect interface between camera and L-plate (due to the narrow bottom plate and mostly plastic construction). I've tried 3 different L-plates (RRS, Sunwayfoto, and some other brand X I've forgotten) and the Sunwayfoto is best, though still not great. Now I'm wanting to get an FE 70-300, but with no tripod ring, it seems way too much to hang on the A6000's L-plate. What I'm wondering is if the A6300, being a metal body, suffers from the same problem. Anyone tried the A6300 with this lens on a tripod? Or have any other ideas for a solution?

Mar 07, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Parariss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long lens & A6000 / A6300

I have the A6300 and the 70-300. I don't have any problems with the cantilevered weight. The barrel that extends when zooming is mostly air, so the center of gravity doesn't move as much as you might expect. I also have the 70-200GM which is much heavier. Balancing and repositioning precisely the camera with the tripod is much nicer with a tripod foot, but I don't have concerns about the weight on the mount with the 70-300. There are also some generic aftermarket lens tripod mounts (haven't used them, personally). I don't have an a6000, but from what I've read the mount was materially improved.

Mar 07, 2017 at 05:15 PM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long lens & A6000 / A6300

Parariss wrote:
I have the A6300 and the 70-300. I don't have any problems with the cantilevered weight. The barrel that extends when zooming is mostly air, so the center of gravity doesn't move as much as you might expect. I also have the 70-200GM which is much heavier. Balancing and repositioning precisely the camera with the tripod is much nicer with a tripod foot, but I don't have concerns about the weight on the mount with the 70-300. There are also some generic aftermarket lens tripod mounts (haven't used them, personally). I don't have an a6000, but from what I've read
...Show more

Thanks for this. My main concern, however, is not the lens mount (that is weak on the A6000, but Fotodiox makes a stronger replacement that I'd get). The tripod-to-camera connection is what I wonder about. What do you use for that - an L-bracket or other Arca plate, or something else? And do you see much flex between it & the body?

Mar 07, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Parariss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long lens & A6000 / A6300

I use a Peak Design arca plate. No mechanical problems, but as I said it's just not balanced over the center of mass of the camera+lens so fine tuning the direction of the camera gets fiddly. Doesn't bother me as I don't shoot off a tripod terribly often.

grog13 wrote:
Thanks for this. My main concern, however, is not the lens mount (that is weak on the A6000, but Fotodiox makes a stronger replacement that I'd get). The tripod-to-camera connection is what I wonder about. What do you use for that - an L-bracket or other Arca plate, or something else? And do you see much flex between it & the body?

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.