FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Pacsafe

d831
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pacsafe

runakid wrote:
That's the problem I was running into. What size to get? If I want to put the Gura gear 32l and a laptop too- what should I buy?

Kosin's right - their sizing's wonky in my experience too. I bought the 120L for a ~48L F-stop bag and was surprised how small it was; to the degree it seemed like I was sent the 55L by mistake. Maybe that's the case, so don't let me steer you wrong. I imagined being able to easily fit two backpacks into it, but no joy.

They top out at 140L. Depending on how big your laptop bag is, tripod, etc., that may be the best bet.

They also make 12L and 25L nylon bags that are great for smaller items (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JJMV0K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1).

Mar 09, 2017 at 05:44 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pacsafe

Thanks to all.

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:35 AM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pacsafe

runakid wrote:
That's the problem I was running into. What size to get? If I want to put the Gura gear 32l and a laptop too- what should I buy?

That's the bag I have
Pacsafe 120L is perfect for this bag and may fit a laptop in a sleeve as well, not in a bulky bag though. If you want to fit another bag, let's say messenger style bag with a laptop, I think you should go for 140L. - . Not true, see my post below with photos....

I will try to post a photo of it over the weekend..]

Edited on Mar 11, 2017 at 12:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2017 at 09:58 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pacsafe

I will probably go with the 140L. Any additional help would be great.

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:11 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pacsafe

Here are some photographs of a GuraGear 32L backpack and 120L PacSafe.
While taking these photographs, it occurred to me that if I insert the backpack sideways, there is still enough room to hold another, smaller bag. Either I forgot about it or never realized it

Anyways, 120L is big enough to hold a 32L bag and 16x14x6 box as you can see in a 3rd photo. But you must insert them sideways. The "height" of the mesh is about 22" this is why it barely fits same bag when inserted with a bottom first.

Weight of the 120L Pacsafe is approx. 1.8lb with a lock and a pouch.

I hope this helped a little

32L GuraGear inserted with bottom first - note that it barely fits

32L GuraGear inserted sideways

32L GuraGear inserted sideways with a 16x14x6 box

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pacsafe

Wow!
Question- what would be wrong buying a bigger pac safe? Is too big bad?
I am guessing that you would suggest locking the zippers on the Gura Gear too.

Mar 11, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Archibald
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pacsafe

I had a PacSafe for a few years and took it with me to places like Europe, India and China - never actually deployed and used it because there was usually no convenient place to attach it. The PacSafe is bulky and hard to collapse after use. It drew the attention of a security guy at the Prague airport and he was in the process of opening it before he was distracted by something and stopped. He spoke no English, so I could not explain.

After hauling the damn thing around for a dozen trips I finally left it in the hotel garbage. I have not regretted doing that.

Edited on Mar 12, 2017 at 08:49 AM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM
d831
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pacsafe

runakid wrote:
Wow!

Ideal would probably be as close to form fitted as possible, but they don't make enough sizes/shapes and the amount of gear you stash can change at any time. One of the biggest issues is, the looser a Pacsafe is, the more room a thief has to fit their hands and/or tools in to work on getting at your gear.

A lock doesn't hurt, but it's likely a thief will have a knife to cut right into the bag. Kosin's 3rd photo above does a good job showing how easy that can be.

I probably wouldn't use them myself unless I had to, but you may want to also check out some of their Anti-theft/Slashguard bags for your laptop, etc. Nothing against the idea/technology - if I could buy some of my regular bags with this built in, I'd consider it for certain trips.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pacsafe

d831 wrote:
Ideal would probably be as close to form fitted as possible, but they don't make enough sizes/shapes and the amount of gear you stash can change at any time. One of the biggest issues is, the looser a Pacsafe is, the more room a thief has to fit their hands and/or tools in to work on getting at your gear.

A lock doesn't hurt, but it's likely a thief will have a knife to cut right into the bag. Kosin's 3rd photo above does a good job showing how easy that can be.

I probably wouldn't use them myself unless
...Show more

I don't think that the size of the mesh makes a difference in this case since the mesh "openings/holes" are flexible but of a set diameter and smaller objects can be pull through not matter if the mesh is well fitted to the size of a bag or too loose.
The main reason for getting this mesh is to prevent "grab and go" thefts and to prevent opening main compartments of bag at the same time. If someone has time to cut the bag and play with getting the small objects through the the mesh, most likely will have time and tools to simply cut the lock or mesh and take the whole bag.

Edited on Mar 12, 2017 at 09:13 AM · View previous versions

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:01 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pacsafe

runakid wrote:
Wow!

I think that bigger mesh would simply add additional and unnecessary weight and bulk. For air travel, every pound counts against you

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:05 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pacsafe

I have Prey on all my devices. If there is an indecent, I would turn on remote wipe.
https://www.preyproject.com/

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:13 AM
d831
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pacsafe

kosin wrote:
I don't think that the size of the mesh makes a difference in this case since the mesh "openings/holes" are flexible but of a set diameter and smaller objects can be pull through not matter if the mesh is well fitted to the size of a bag or too loose.

Sorry to disagree with your first point , but the amount the mesh is stretched and the slack between it and what's inside could make all the difference. Your photos above illustrate quite well how much variation there can be in the size of the openings, depending on what's inside and how it's configured. Most of my lenses are around 3.5" or less in diameter, so it doesn't take a lot.

A much better design would be mesh that doesn't spread more than the smallest amount necessary to allow for some versatility - just like their <35L Stealth bags (or their other Anti-theft/Slashguard products) I linked to above that only spread about an inch or so. If I could buy bag protectors like this in 50L and 100L capacities, I would in a second. I'm guessing they don't offer them to avoid cannibalizing their dedicated camera/laptop products; which folks like us aren't as likely to buy anyway! The only reason I'm aware of for the design and mesh size on the backpack protectors is size/shape versatility.

As a 2nd deterrent you can also use one of the smaller Pacsafe Stealth bags around an F-stop ICU (or equivalent) inside your main bag. Locked Pelican cases inside the Pacsafe are another option too.

As far as time, smash and grab thieves in public places will be deterred (in varying degrees, depending on the situation) by the bag protectors, yes. But when seconds count, to say that the size of the openings and how much slack there is doesn't make a difference, just isn't being realistic IMHO. If someone put padlocks on their zippers and ran a cable through the straps to anchor it, how many seconds do you imagine it would take a thief with a decent blade to get at their gear? Only a few less than when there's a Pacsafe with large enough holes and too much slack.

The Pacsafes help (and they're better than many of the DIY methods I used to have to resort to), but for me, they're only one piece of the puzzle when strategizing the safeguarding of my gear on-location. Deterring opportunisitc theft is one of the bigger priorities, but what else can we do to help prevent theft when the gear is stored somewhere less public (e.g. where you're staying, a car parked remotely, etc.) and a thief has more time to work? Pacsafe themselves say the wire can be cut with a simple Leatherman and I saw a Youtube video where even a box cutter did the trick.

Unfortunately, our options are very limited - it's too bad there's so few companies and products on the market making this stuff...

Mar 12, 2017 at 04:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.