Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

I have a friend who is used to a compact Olympus so she always uses the back LCD screen. She wants to move up to a better quality sensor and added versatility with different lenses.

When I handed her a dSLR to try the concept, she immediately preferred LIveView over optical VF because that is what she was used to. I hardly ever use LV and I believe that in time she will start using the optical VF more and more.

But what if she doesn't? What if she gets stuck in always using Live View? Is that a bad thing? Can it harm the camera? Or will it simply drain the battery very quickly / too quickly for comfort?

Should she get a mirrorless instead?

Just thought I'd ask here as I don't have any prolonged Live View experience and i don't know zip about mirrorless bodies.

Thanks

Ralph

Mar 06, 2017 at 04:31 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

using just Liveview will drain the battery quickly indeed and performance on all but the most recent Canon DSLRs will be sluggish compared to what she was used to with the Olympus, and use is far from convenient because the default setup is non-Liveview mode. Also, keep in mind that on older cameras the non-tilting and often bland LCD screen will be a pain to use in bright light; in cameras that completely depend on the back LCD I guess the manufacturer takes these issues into account a bit more.

I think she should either try to get friends with the OVF or buy a mirrorless camera. I can imagine it takes time to get used to an OVF because it is a completely different 'immersive' experience compared to the 'detached' back LCD screen, so maybe try the DSLR with OVF from a friend for a day, or rent one before deciding?

I have a Canon DSLR that I use almost exclusively in Liveview mode, my IR-converted 450D. I use LV because it allows accurate AF and judgment of exposure (OVF, PDAF and Auto-exposure do not work well for infrared), plus IR scenery can look very different than what one sees in the OVF. Using a 450D in Liveview mode is a pain compared to using an IR-converted compact or mirrorless camera, so I'm now looking for an alternative simply because of the ergonomics.

Mar 06, 2017 at 04:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

You're over-thinking this. It doesn't matter at all which way she shoots the camera. There are benefits to using the finder when you're shooting handheld, but it's better to shoot with your preferred method, than not at all. If she finds it difficult to get sharp handheld images when using LiveView for handheld shooting, then she can try to improve results by using different techniques.

I use LiveView extensively for shooting on a tripod, and sometimes for shooting Alt manual focus lenses with a Zacuto Z-Finder clipped over the rear LCD (combines magnified LiveView with a finder up to your eye).

As far as mirrorless vs. DSLR goes, maybe you could take her to a big camera shop (I like Kamera Express), and try out some of the options.

Mar 06, 2017 at 04:55 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

I was thinking SL1 / 100D. Is that recent enough? Is there a lot of difference between LV on that camera and aan M 3 for instance? Both are similarly priced.

Mar 06, 2017 at 04:57 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

jcolwell wrote:
You're over-thinking this.

Probably. But I vaguely remember reading that prolonged LV use can heat up the camera so I didn't know if shooting in LV all the time is a no go or not. I do feel a bit responsible when advising someone to spend hundreds of €€€.

Mar 06, 2017 at 05:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I was thinking SL1 / 100D. Is that recent enough? Is there a lot of difference between LV on that camera and aan M 3 for instance? Both are similarly priced.

I have both the SL1 and M3. If she likes to use just LiveView, the M3 would be a fine entry camera. You can also use the EVF-DC1 (and I assume -DC2) finder on it, but it sucks compared to the SL1 finder. The SL1 has an older 18 MPx sensor, which works fine for me, in most situations. The M5/M6 or SL2 are on my radar screen, depending on whether I end up preferring the M3 or SL1 (or X-E2). The M3 with a few EF-M lenses is stupid small.

Mar 06, 2017 at 05:40 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using LiveView constantly? Mirrorless?

rabbitmountain wrote:
Probably. But I vaguely remember reading that prolonged LV use can heat up the camera so I didn't know if shooting in LV all the time is a no go or not. I do feel a bit responsible when advising someone to spend hundreds of €€€.

When I shoot landscapes (often) on a tripod I usually use liveview ( for long periods of time) because its easier to focus and frame the shot.

When I shoot wildlife, I shoot viewfinder

When I shoot travel shots with my M, I shoot liveview.

I have never seen any problems (heating, failing) on my canon cameras from use of liveview - its just a choice of preference and battery life. I think the battery life is ~1/2'd but still as good or better than most mirrorless because the batteries are bigger on dslr.

I second what jcolwell says - the m3 is a great camera for live view shooting - small, almost free on canon refurbished, apsc, lens are cheap. You can get m3/15-45 for under $500.

Mar 06, 2017 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.