New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New gear on the way

hokiejokey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New gear on the way

On some advice from articles, forums, etc., I've purchased some new gear.

- Canon 6d. As a supplement to my 7d ii, to use with my 24-105L (my current "wide" lens, will probably end up with something wider later, as well as a fixed FL 85 perhaps). Mainly to get me that full frame look on portraits, landscapes, and low light "action" from up close. I felt I didn't need the tracking capability of the 5diii for the extra cost.
- Gitzo GT3532LS. I currently have a set of Manfrotto aluminum legs, but felt it was time to upgrade to a more stable set that will hold my 100-400 ii nicely. And I save a pound of weight.

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:21 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New gear on the way

approve of buying 6D for static subjects. However, have found Canon 5D IV/100-400 II combo even with cropping produces fine details better than the 7DII/100-400 II combo. 5DIV well worth the money.

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:41 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New gear on the way

garydavidjones wrote:
approve of buying 6D for static subjects. However, have found Canon 5D IV/100-400 II combo even with cropping produces fine details better than the 7DII/100-400 II combo. 5DIV well worth the money.

I agree the 5DIV is a great body. I got a great deal on a 7dii and couldn't pass it up. Was an upgrade from my 70d. 5DIV is out of my price range now. Perhaps later...

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New gear on the way

The 5DIV probably could do it all, but:

1. It is $1000 more than both the 7D2 and 6D together

2. It is only one body. Sometime, 2 is better than one.

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:11 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New gear on the way

Most birds I shoot are hummingbirds. The 6D and the 7DII do not produce
the results that the 5D4 does (even when cropped).

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New gear on the way

garydavidjones wrote:
Most birds I shoot are hummingbirds. The 6D and the 7DII do not produce
the results that the 5D4 does (even when cropped).

The 5D4 is amazing and I agree cropping it is just as good as 7D2 (not sure about 6D as never owned one). But 6D/7D2 combo is still good. If one wants/needs 10FPS then 7D2 is a must (without going 1 series). For some 7FPS may be enough but then there is the issue of only having one body and no spare. My 5D4 is getting a new main board at CPS right now....but I've been able to keep shooting with my 1DX2. If I only had a 5D4 I'd be out a camera for at least 1 week....probably will be about 10 days in the end unless they don't have the parts around, then even longer like my 16-35/4 was waiting for parts (2.5 weeks).

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Pius Sullivan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New gear on the way

arbitrage wrote:
The 5D4 is amazing and I agree cropping it is just as good as 7D2 (not sure about 6D as never owned one). But 6D/7D2 combo is still good. If one wants/needs 10FPS then 7D2 is a must (without going 1 series). For some 7FPS may be enough but then there is the issue of only having one body and no spare. My 5D4 is getting a new main board at CPS right now....but I've been able to keep shooting with my 1DX2. If I only had a 5D4 I'd be out a camera for at least 1 week....probably will
...Show more

Why is the 5D4 getting a new main board? Error 70... ?

Pius

Mar 07, 2017 at 01:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New gear on the way

Pius Sullivan wrote:

My guess diagnosis, "not waterproof".

Mar 07, 2017 at 06:36 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New gear on the way

Spikey131 wrote:
The 5DIV probably could do it all, but:

1. It is $1000 more than both the 7D2 and 6D together

2. It is only one body. Sometime, 2 is better than one.

Finally, I think something is going wrong with the posters 7dii if they are getting more details out of an APSC crop of the 5d4. The 7d puts more pixels bhind the APSC area than does the 5d4.

Mar 07, 2017 at 07:04 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New gear on the way

The 6D is perfectly capable of photographing moving objects. Just not little fast moving objects and not a lot of FPS. For larger birds such as egrets, eagles and pelicans mine works well and it has no problems with aircraft. This 'static' objects only is starting to become an internet myth of the same proportions as the 100-400LIS being a dust pump.

Mar 07, 2017 at 07:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New gear on the way

Pius Sullivan wrote:

Pius

Snow infiltration or more precise infiltration from the product of snow under warmer environments. Actually I don't know if it is getting a new board but I will assume it is for the $500 (parts is $274, labour $199) I'm paying for it

Note to self: do a better job removing snow from ones camera....also note to self, when the mode dial is frozen and won't turn better to warm it up and remove the water as you do instead of leaving it to nature to takes its course. I'm about 90% certain the water got in around the mode dial. But it could have got in around my grip although that area I cleaned off the snow fairly well. I've had other cameras like 7D2 drenched in water and no issue but I think the freezing of the water under the mode dial was the issue on this one. CPS confirmed water damage...void warranty. So basically my $500 discount I got on my "damaged box" 5D4 is now being used to repair the thing...I guess I'll learn my lesson some day

Mar 07, 2017 at 08:25 AM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New gear on the way

Yeah but warranty wouldn't of covered water damage anyways would it? Trying to decide on a second body to go along with my 1dx2.. cant decide lol

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:00 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New gear on the way

DavidBM wrote:
The 7d puts more pixels bhind the APSC area than does the 5d4.

The problem most likely lies in the quality of the 7D pixels, not the quantity...

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:03 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New gear on the way

I have had my 6d caked with snow multiple times and even rained on pretty decently. I just wiped it off when I got home and let it dry out. No issues. I'm sure the 5DIV is the same level of protection or better.

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:07 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New gear on the way

molson wrote:
The problem most likely lies in the quality of the 7D pixels, not the quantity...

While per pixel the 7ds pixels aren't as good as the 5dIV; the average IQ per unit sensor area is pretty similar, which means the extra pixels are giving you an advantage in resolution when cropped.

The only case (I think) where this mightn't be so is in cases where you have underexposed, or need to lift shadows, where the extra DR of the 5D4 will become visible in an image.

Mar 09, 2017 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.