New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

Before anyone jumps all over me for posting these in the “Black & White Vision” forum, please be aware that the subtitle for this forum is “Including your Duotone, Tritone, Quadtone, and Infrared Work”. Had I posted these in the Landscape Forum, I probably would have been banned for life! These images were taken with an infrared converted Nikon D800 camera, using the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D lens. The camera was converted by LifePixel, using their “Super Color Infrared” filter/conversion. These images were taken yesterday at Deception Pass State Park. Comments and feed-back welcome!

Btw, I am often surprised by the reaction of many people to color infrared work. People are somewhat used to black and white infrared work, but not so much with color infrared work. There are many ways to capture and process color infrared images. Since our eyes do not see in the infrared spectrum, there is really no right or wrong way to process and display color infrared images. Color Infrared images look unnatural because they are unnatural to our visual system (since we are mapping some of the infrared spectrum to some portion of the visual spectrum). At any rate, here are three of my latest infrared images…

Keith W.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Infrared/i-Hkk4J4f/0/XL/20170304-_D8K4313-Edit-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Infrared/i-nrSFKnr/0/XL/20170304-_D8K4523-Edit-XL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Infrared/i-TxdX6Sx/0/XL/20170304-_D8K4545-Edit-XL.jpg

Mar 05, 2017 at 10:14 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

These are awesome Keith. Yeah the dogmatists' heads might explode over at landscape, but these are great compositions and the IR conversion is pretty cool. I've seen the red foliage before and find it a fascinating look. Nice job.

Heron

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:32 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

OregonSun wrote:
These are awesome Keith. Yeah the dogmatists' heads might explode over at landscape, but these are great compositions and the IR conversion is pretty cool. I've seen the red foliage before and find it a fascinating look. Nice job.

Heron

Heron, thanks! I find IR fascinating too. I would not have expected that the barnacles displayed at low tide would be emitting so much light in the IR spectrum. The first, and especially the third, images really show this well. It's hard to see this in camera. When you get home and start processing your IR images, you may be in for a bit of a surprise!

Keith W.

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

Hi Keith, as discussed here is my attempt at a B&W conversion on your second image, which I felt had so much potential.
Cheers Ray

Mar 06, 2017 at 02:21 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

Dougo wrote:
Hi Keith, as discussed here is my attempt at a B&W conversion on your second image, which I felt had so much potential.
Cheers Ray

Ray, thank you for taking the time to share a different version of this image! I will go back and try again to come up with a B&W version of this image. I do agree that playing around with this particular image is worthwhile. Thanks again - much appreciated!

Keith W.

Mar 06, 2017 at 02:34 AM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

Theses are very well done Kieth. They have the look of the Areochrome IR film. That D800 really brings some detail to the image.

Jimmy

May 25, 2017 at 07:28 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

JimW56 wrote:
Theses are very well done Kieth. They have the look of the Areochrome IR film. That D800 really brings some detail to the image.

Jimmy

Jimmy, thanks for taking a look and commenting! I had never done IR film, but just looked up Areochrome IR film. I see what you mean. And yes, the detail of the D800 is really nice. I printed both the first and second images at around 20 inches wide, and they look really nice (actually, they look better printed than displayed on my screen, in my opinion). Thanks again!

Keith W.

May 25, 2017 at 08:14 PM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

The bright red color against the blue created some amazingly dynamic images.
The second one is my favorite.

May 26, 2017 at 06:43 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

lazlo369 wrote:
The bright red color against the blue created some amazingly dynamic images.
The second one is my favorite.

Lazlo, thanks! The second is my favorite too (as well as my wife's favorite).

Keith W.

May 26, 2017 at 10:40 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

Wow is the first word that comes to mind. I really love the 2nd and 3rd shots, with #2 as the favorite.

May 27, 2017 at 02:06 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bowman Bay, in infrared

DougVaughn wrote:
Wow is the first word that comes to mind. I really love the 2nd and 3rd shots, with #2 as the favorite.

Doug, thank you - much appreciated!
Keith W.

May 27, 2017 at 03:20 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.