New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

I live a few hour's drive to the latitude where the total solar eclipse will be visible. I also have a second hand telescope,a cheap Meade ETX-90. I am planning to drag my telescope and most of my photography gear with my father-in-law and his photography gear into the path of the eclipse. I also want to photography with the telescope as well as some wide angle shots.

I have heard I need to get a solar filter for the telescope. This will be necessary for photography.

Do I need a strong ND filter for my camera lenses? I am a Fuji shooter, and already have a 16-55/2.8, but I will probably rent (or buy) a 10-24/4.

Anyone have any tips? This is something I really don't want to screw up.

Mar 05, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Jack7724

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

Seen here:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/imaging-a-solar-eclipse/

and here:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

Mar 05, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Odyssey1812

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

You'll need a solar filter to shoot the sun until the 2-3 minutes when you have a full annular total eclipse, then the filter can come off. Thousand Oaks Optical makes slip on ones for your telescope and also threaded filters for your camera lenses.

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/solar.html

Mar 05, 2017 at 07:24 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

Ordered the solar filter. While there is solid infor!atiom in both links, both are pretty dated. Is there anything solid from a more recent publication? At 11 and 9 years old, respectively, they are a bit behind in terms of digital technology. I was hoping to see if I have anything to worry about with a mirrorless body, newer post-processing techniques, etc.

Anything out there thatis a bit more recent?

Mar 05, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

There are a variety of sources for eclipse photography information, and the mreclipse site remains a good one, even though parts of it are quite dated. One resource that just came out is an eBook by Alan Dyer titled "How to Photograph the Solar Eclipse". It is not free, but at around $10 for 290 pages, it is an up to date resource that covers all aspects of eclipse photography very well. I have only read about half of it so far, but that has me highly recommending it to my friends. Check out further information at:

http://www.amazingsky.com/eclipsebook.html

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

Eye safety is critically important for viewing and photographing the eclipse. You should check out a modern resource from a web site or book to learn what you need to know, and make sure to help others you know or meet to stay safe. Those younger people in this world with a bit less judgment available are especially in need of education and supervision. For direct viewing without a telescope or camera, low cost solar glasses are available, any you should plan on everyone in your group having a pair, plus have some spares available for loss or last minute gifting to those that need them.

For any long lens or telescope photography or viewing, you MUST use a proper solar filter at the front of your lens, unless you are using one of several specialized astronomy methods that provide safety. A true solar filter provides the correct extreme density to bring the light level down, and also has proper protection for UV wavelengths, which is a very important factor. UV from the Sun can permanently damage your eyes when using any magnified device, and you likely would not even feel it happening. Us photographers love our eyesight, right?

Other forms of filtering besides a true solar filter are not safe. Photographic ND filters, even if stacked to get the right optical ND level, are not safe. Most will pass too much UV, and they also can potentially fail from overheating while in use. Other various filter methods that have been publicized in the past are mostly un safe, and the few that might be safe are very difficult to know in advance if they really are. Get a true solar filter from a reputable source.

Note that you will likely want the ability to quickly remove the solar filter for photography during the total phase of the eclipse, and replace it at the end of totality. A screw in filter will not work well for quick removal, but is of course fine for all the partial phases. Some form of slip on filter is well worth considering, and most solar filters are available with that feature. Just make sure you purchase ones that are going to fit on the lenses or devices you plan to use, and then properly fit the filter to have it stay on well, but still allow easy removal. And another thing to consider is to not wait until the last minute to purchase a solar filter, because they will likely be all out of stock in the last weeks or months before the eclipse.

Mar 06, 2017 at 02:18 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2017 Full Solar Eclipse, telescopes, and photography

Thanks much. Got myself a solar filter for the telescope. I will probably just use my 16-55/2.8 on a tripod for the few minutes of darkness. Maybe my RX1, too.

Looks like I need to do a scoutimg trip.

Mar 07, 2017 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.