New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

AGeoJO wrote:

I am not even sure whether the so-called "more rugged" cameras would work at temperatures below -25C.

I assume you're joking? Most pro cameras I've owned don't really have any issues until you get down to around -40C, where the LCD displays start to fade out. Even my Fuji X-T1 would go all day (on a single battery) at -25C.

Apr 14, 2017 at 05:13 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

Ronny Olsson wrote:
Wow! Fantastic sets Joshua

Thank you, Ronny!

molson wrote:
I assume you're joking? Most pro cameras I've owned don't really have any issues until you get down to around -40C, where the LCD displays start to fade out. Even my Fuji X-T1 would go all day (on a single battery) at -25C.

Cliff,
It just so happened that when I had my 5D Mark II I went to Hokkaido in the winter. It was very cold and wet one evening and towards the end of my shooting, it died on me. Fortunately, it was at the end. So, when I got back to my hotel room I took the battery out, removed the lens, and I used a blow dryer at low heat and at sufficient distance. And shortly thereafter, it worked again. I am not saying that the Sony A7r II would fare better or worse because the conditions were simply different. That's why I mentioned "I am not sure....." and I wasn't joking at all.

I am glad that your Fuji worked under cold temperature and that it would go on a single battery even at -25C. I am not familiar with the Fuji system and the size/capacity of its battery. So, I take your words for it and good for you. But our shooting circumstances may not be the same. As matter of fact, I don't know whether you use manual focus or AF all the time, whether you chimp a lot or not, whether you had the preview on or whether you turn your camera off in between. and so on and so forth. So, a direct comparison is simply not fair but yes, Sony batteries are small and every single Sony user agrees that their batteries are not the best in holding charge because of the small size.

Apr 14, 2017 at 05:51 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

Lovely, delicate images with beautiful color and lighting. The colors are so delicate and the lighting so complete and deep that they almost look cinematic.

It is also interesting to see you start to weave some people into your scenics! You have always kept the two very separate (I don't count the Venice pictures because of the costumes and masks).

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

Beautiful images. Thanks for the report.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM
philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

Superb pictures, Joshua (this is getting really old, I know,but you have more talent than I have vocabulary)! And thanks for the feedback.

Apr 15, 2017 at 02:57 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

Had no problems at all with A7R II in Lofoten
However, it was relatively good weather conditions

Apr 15, 2017 at 04:47 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Using Sony A7r II at cold temperatures - a real life experience

chiron wrote:
Lovely, delicate images with beautiful color and lighting. The colors are so delicate and the lighting so complete and deep that they almost look cinematic.

It is also interesting to see you start to weave some people into your scenics! You have always kept the two very separate (I don't count the Venice pictures because of the costumes and masks).

Thank you very much, Peter! I truly appreciate your kind words. I had to add a little variety in the otherwise "monotone" winter landscape.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Beautiful images. Thanks for the report.

Thank you very much, Fred! Coming from you, that means a lot.

philber wrote:
Superb pictures, Joshua (this is getting really old, I know,but you have more talent than I have vocabulary)! And thanks for the feedback.

Thank you very much, Philippe! I just saw your jaw-droppinly impressive flower images using the Otus 28mm on the big FE thread. You have more talent than you are giving yourself credit, buddy!

Ronny Olsson wrote:
Had no problems at all with A7R II in Lofoten
However, it was relatively good weather conditions

Alright, Ronny! We started to believe in the durability of our camera now, didn't we ?

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.