New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · L Bracket 5D Classic

dhlewis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L Bracket 5D Classic

Does anyone know if the 5D II L Bracket will be somewhat functional on a 5D Classic? Been looking for a classic bracket for a while and no luck.

Mar 04, 2017 at 10:52 AM
2ndviolinman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L Bracket 5D Classic

My Kirk 5Dii L bracket runs afoul of the on/off switch base area of the original 5D well before the L bracket contacts the base of the camera. If that area were ground off the L bracket, there are other points of interference following that one- the strap lug, and others.

I would say not functional.

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:18 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L Bracket 5D Classic

Are you talking about RRS bracket, not Kirk? I had 5D classic and RRS 5D L bracket It would not fit on 5DII camera without some machine grinding, which I would not do. I'm not sure on what you want, about 5DII bracket on 5D body.

I had to buy 2 new 5DII RRS L brackets to fit two 5DII. Then later, I got two new 5DIII, and guess what, the 5DII brackets would not fit on 5DIII. I got fed up with that sh*t and bought two Pro Media universal (non-L) plates, which later fit nicely on my 5DsR.

RRS mechanical engineers are extremely skilled and they design the plates so tightly that they will not fit ANY Canon but that specific body.

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L Bracket 5D Classic

Most Really Right Stuff L brackets only fit the model of camera they are made for. Canon is the one that keeps changing the cameras. I very much appreciate the close fit of the plate to the camera, which means zero chance of the bracket slipping. Generic fit brackets often need severe tightening to avoid slipping while in portrait orientation, and that has the potential of damaging the camera. I also like the custom design of other features like an opening in the bracket for the remote release, and the close fit of the bracket to the left side of the camera without the bottom leg blocking the battery door.

For finding a used RRS L bracket for the 5D "classic", at this moment I see one listed on KEH, and two listed on eBay. The prices are a bit high, all in the $60 range, but if you want one soon you many just need to go ahead and pay that much. But if you can wait a bit, and keep your eyes open on eBay, I would guess you will eventually find one at less than half that. Also, a Wanted To Buy request on FM might get you a response. I need to keep my old bracket to match my old 5D, mostly for collecting reasons, but many others dump there old gear, and often end up with a left over bracket.

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:41 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L Bracket 5D Classic

Roland W wrote:
Most Really Right Stuff L brackets only fit the model of camera they are made for. Canon is the one that keeps changing the cameras. I very much appreciate the close fit of the plate to the camera, which means zero chance of the bracket slipping. Generic fit brackets often need severe tightening to avoid slipping while in portrait orientation, and that has the potential of damaging the camera. I also like the custom design of other features like an opening in the bracket for the remote release, and the close fit of the bracket to the left side
...Show more

Thanks Roland, appreciate the comprehensive response

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.