Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

johnnydrz

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Initially posted in the Sony forum but didn't get any replies..

Hi everyone, looking for opinions (and advice...) regarding lens options I'm considering. I've been a NEX 5N, 6, A6000 and now A6500 user. I've always had manual lenses but really started using them alot more since getting the A6500. Viewfinder and stabilization being the main reason. As for autofocus lenses, all E-mount APS-C's, I have (and use) the Sony 10-18, 24f1.8 (love this one), 50 f1.8. (I also have the 18-55 and 55-210 but very seldom use them...)

As for manual lenses, I have (and use):
-Zuiko OM 85mm f2
-Zeiss C/Y 35-70mm f3.4 (most used when I'm outside)
-Zeiss C/Y 135mm f2.8.
-Lens Turbo II C/Y to E mount focal reducer.

I know and understand the differences between the Lens Turbo and Metabones focal reducers but I'm trying to respect a certain budget when considering an addition to my lenses. For what I do, the lens Turbo II works really well.

Here's the thing: I think I'm doing good with my glass for landscape and general outdoor use. But I've been doing more people photography lately, with a 2 years old grandson and a 2 weeks old grand daughter. No posing, all candid stuff. I find my 24 (Zeiss) and 50 (Sony) more than adequate. Notice I don't have a fast 35mm that I would use both outside and in low light.

1st option: buying a Zeiss c/y 50mm f1.7 that I could use with my Lens Turbo II that would make it wider and faster, more or less 35mm f1.2, for about $200 USD (...I'm in Canada...)

2nd option (stretching my budget a bit): buying a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 (not more than $100) or Canon FL 55mm f1.2 ($220), AND a FD/FL to NEX Lens Turbo II ($150) to get to around 37mm f1.0 I guess...

With the second option, I'd be getting 2 fast lenses for a very reasonable amount. But with the 1st option, I'd keep the Zeiss look I've fallen in love with but only getting one fast 35mm...

I've read too many reviews for the 3 lenses that are mentioned in my 2 options. All 3 have their look/rendering and since I mostly always crop a bit, the Lens Turbo II meets my requirements as far as not-as-good-as Metabones focal reducer.

Again, these will be for low light and people photography, so corners are not my main priority.

Thanks in advance for your comments, opinions and suggestions.

Jean

Mar 04, 2017 at 06:04 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

I'd keep the look you like. You're going to want to stop down the Canon apertures anyway otherwise have razor thin DOF.

Mar 04, 2017 at 09:16 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

In your place I would keep it simple: if you already have a CY to Sony Lens Turbo and like the Zeiss look, the Zeiss 50/1.7 is an obvious choice, your question almost responds itself really
I think the 50/1.7 legendary sharpness and contrast will also help to get a better focus peaking experience.

If you want to expand the range of lenses to use with a focal reducer, a Canon EF to Sony E Lens Turbo is the way to go. With a second "plain" adapter the number of mounts you could use will increase greatly, you could continue to use the CY lenses but also your OM Zuiko 85/2 and other mounts like Nikon F, Pentax PK, Leica R or M42.

A word of advice: if you go this way, the hard thing will be to resist the temptation of becoming a lens horder

Mar 04, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Another thumbs up for the Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.7. It's an amazing lens for the price. I have 2 of them and both are MM copies. If you already like the Zeiss look, this is a great choice.

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:23 PM
johnnydrz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Thanks everyone, yes, the Zeiss thing is really growing on me. I'll try to find a Zeiss 50 f1.7 that fits my budget and I'll end up with a really good 35mm (APS-C equivalent).

Jean

Mar 04, 2017 at 03:44 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Agree with the above. The Canon 55 1.2 is a wonderful lens. Often usable wide open, RAZOR sharp on aps-c at f/2...But the performance difference likely isn't going to be dramatic between it and a Zeiss at f/2. Go with what you have adapters for.

Mar 04, 2017 at 10:07 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Yeah, really love the C/Y Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar, personally more than the f/1.4. I used it a ton on my NEX-5R before I upgraded to FF. It's not the best (esp on APS-C) wide open, but it's incredible at f/2.8 in contrast and detail. Something special, IMHO.

Down the road, you could expand your C/Y kit with the 28mm f/2.8 Distagon.

Given the fact that you already have a C/Y Speedbooster, I think that makes a lot of sense.

That said, the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 is also quite nice! My SSC is the best 50/1.4 lens I have in terms of wide open sharpness and contrast and it doesn't take long to get cross-frame sharpness. The Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8 is great if you want something tiny and durable.

Mar 04, 2017 at 10:28 PM
jankap
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Small DOFs, manually handled lenses and children are a difficult combination.
What about a used Leica 50mm and the TAP (autofocus)?
Jan

PS
You have a lot of e-mounts, why not use them?
Is the fly-by-wire distance setting a problem?
I have similar thoughts (perhaps GAS).

Mar 05, 2017 at 04:10 AM
johnnydrz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

Hi jankap, for my grandkids, I mostly use my Sonys 24/1.8 and 50/1.8.

Leica and TAP are not acce$$ible to me right now!

.... GAS... tell me about it...

Mar 05, 2017 at 07:01 AM
johnnydrz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual lenses for A6500, Zeiss or FL/FD?

arduluth, I have started looking at the Distagon 28/f2.8. Probably the next one for me.

Jean

Mar 05, 2017 at 07:03 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.