FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

New Website, New Brand, New New

mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Hey folks, I've poured my heart and soul and blood and tears (mostly tears) into my new brand and site. There are a few more tweaks that need to happen, but it's fairly set now.

Feel free to critique.

Villa Visuals

Teaser for those who hate clicking links

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:07 AM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Looks awesome Mike! My only suggestion would be to add separate wedding/engagement galleries for your associate. I would also make sure to label if it was you or your associate for the blog posts (you may already have this but I only looked at the first three posts and didn't see it). This will give the client an opportunity to see his and your work and make a decision on who would be a better fit for them. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm a NOOB.

BTW What cameras
are you using for your wedding work these days?

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:32 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Website, New Brand, New New

LivLif wrote:
Looks awesome Mike! My only suggestion would be to add separate wedding/engagement galleries for your associate. I would also make sure to label if it was you or your associate for the blog posts (you may already have this but I only looked at the first three posts and didn't see it). This will give the client an opportunity to see his and your work and make a decision on who would be a better fit for them. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm a NOOB.

BTW What cameras
are you using for your wedding work
...Show more

Thanks Chris! Sometime soon the associate will get his own gallery - he just started with me this year (although he has been shooting for long enough for me to put together a portfolio), so no blogs from him yet.

The whole about page will be updated a bit further (consistent photos, portfolio links, etc...), as I feel that's currently the weakest page.

And nowadays I'm shooting mostly Sony A7RII with a bit of Leica M9 sprinkled in.

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:18 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Damn. Ima go practice now.. Great stuff! Site looks awesome!!

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:52 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Website, New Brand, New New

mikethevilla wrote:
Thanks Chris! Sometime soon the associate will get his own gallery - he just started with me this year (although he has been shooting for long enough for me to put together a portfolio), so no blogs from him yet.

The whole about page will be updated a bit further (consistent photos, portfolio links, etc...), as I feel that's currently the weakest page.

And nowadays I'm shooting mostly Sony A7RII with a bit of Leica M9 sprinkled in.

No problem! That's awesome! Congrats in the associate and he new website. Looks great. I look forward to checking it out again after the updates.

Mar 04, 2017 at 05:12 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Your site scores 0/100 for mobile and 0/100 for desktop with google pagespeed.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

This is directly related to your serp and needs attention.

Mar 04, 2017 at 12:29 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Hi Mike,

this looks absolutely awesome (yes, I used that word).

Great impression, like the colors, the image quality and the grid-style.

Villa Visuals sounds also great (itīs new, isnīt it?)

heiko

Mar 04, 2017 at 12:48 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Website, New Brand, New New

LOVE

I do have an issue with the grid not being 2x3 images, though. Hits me in a weird space.

Love the shooting though, Mike. You're hired.

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:43 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Seriously jelly

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnnyArguedas

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Excellent logo and beautiful pictures. Three things: are you able to control how the thumbnails crop the images? A few are cropped awkwardly. There are also two images of the same engagement session pretty close together- with all the great work you're showing I don't think both are necessary. Finally, when you click on an image and it pops up, the website in the background is very distracting. I've seen other sites darken when viewing a full image, so I would suggest finding a way to implement that.

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:02 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Website, New Brand, New New

I guess I'm the only one torn over some things. I think these following suggestions could improve the site and visitation.

First impression was (thinking as a potential client), "This is just a ton of thumbs, and I'm scrolling for nothing." I think that main image really needs to be a slider of some sort... with at least a handful of images. This will help make the menu stand out.

Speaking of the menu... It took me a moment to even see it. The hamburger menu really does not stand out. Again, multiple images would help that pop out. It'd also be nice if you could just click off it to close (or mouse-off it), rather than have to go back up and click it again. (I realize you may not have that option.)

Another suggestion is to swap the thumbs and bottom links sections on the front page - and cut the thumbs down to about 1/3. After all, it's more important they get to the info they're looking for. If they want to browse images, they won't miss that they're right there under the links.

Personally, I think the logo is a little weak, and not really memorable (that doesn't matter to some, of course); but I'm just glad to see you're no longer BMW.

Other than that, it's very clean. I bet it looks great on iPad, but I still think it's far too many thumbs.

Overall, it's really great. I think it just needs some "smart" UX/UI tweaks.

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:40 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Website, New Brand, New New

I don't like it at all. Your work is too good and you're too close to San Francisco.

Mar 04, 2017 at 08:08 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Thanks for the feedback friends! I'm addressing some of the concerns mentioned (optomizing for speed, adding associate gallery, more apparent menu button, etc).

Appreciate the critiques!

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM
CBokeh
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Awesome stuff!!!!

Mar 15, 2017 at 01:15 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Pretty nice site. Clean, colorful..... looks good.
Love the images.

Thought about the same thing with regards to the menu. Maybe a gray color as appose to a white.

-Mark

Mar 15, 2017 at 02:14 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Looks really good.

Mar 15, 2017 at 03:40 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Another reminder that I really need to update my website design. I've been using modded wordpress themes but they aren't ideal and have some issues. I'd like to have a full page design that puts my latest work out front better, and I need to update my portfolio page design beyond the level of my current css/html knowledge. I'd like to overlay names on mouseover and use the more modern square or 3x4/etc. ratios with minimal borders (like your design), and I don't want to use flash.

What I like about your new site:

1. Full width, automatically fitting even if I reduce browser zoom.
2. Seems clean, easy to navigate.
3. I like the yellow bar following when scrolling down.

Anything I'm not sure about/dislike:

1. The top left nav opener doesn't always contrast well against the lightest backgrounds of one or two of your top header images.
2. In general, the space-saving hide-able menus may be practical, but I'm not sure if I like them personally because less computer-savvy people don't always notice them.
3. Not sure if this is a fluke/temporary/etc., but on the blog spot your engagement sets and other non-wedding shoots seem to be far more numerous than full weddings. I don't know if this matters for your targeting.
4. There isn't a ton of search/field narrowing capability, like a link just to wedding details photos. Not sure if this matters or not, but I have admittedly seen a number of wedding websites (usually in the middle-range of photographers) that separate groups of photos by parts of the wedding, e.g. details, getting ready, posed photos, etc.
5. Really not sure if I like the initial load of a clicked image as blurred like that. However, I guess it's some kind of placeholder that should only show up with really slow internet connections anyway.

May 15, 2017 at 02:57 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Website, New Brand, New New

Looks good. I think generally less is more though. Its a bit overwhelming the number of images. On one hand it goes to your experience and consistency, but one doesn't also get a real feel for what you are special about providing.

May 15, 2017 at 11:54 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password