New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

travelling with a monitor to a show...

rkgatteleport
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Hi,

I have to attend a show in a couple of months, and was considering dragging along a monitor to hook up to show some work examples to see if I could drum up some extra business while I was there - as its kind of an experiment, I didn't want to go overboard on renting a monster display, etc. I haven't messed with anything remotely resembling a trade show for a looong time, and I had couple of questions:

As just showing pics on a laptop doesn't attract much attention, I was thinking of taking one of my 24" monitors to plug into my laptop - does anybody have any handy hints about transporting them on a commercial flight (packaging, what not to do , etc).

Second, the layout kind of precludes using some kind of free standing tripod mounted base, is there such a thing as an easel or some kind of folding tabletop VESA mount stand that isn't so akward to stuff in a suitcase? I was thinking of maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C29QN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=17OZTHEBO57TL&coliid=I34OG2TJQW9N23&psc=1

The base seems a little akward, but but its a bit taller than the default stand and at least it becomes flat whne you undo a couple of fasteners.

And finally, the event space is your typical one ( no outside light, adequate but not great fluorescents of unknown color temperature, yadda yadda) - do you have any suggestions for what I should cal the monitor to for this sort of thing? I was thinking of just going with what I normally cal my other monitors to (D65, 80 cd/m^2, gamma 2.2) so the images will kind of look like what you get in print, but.....

Thanks,
rkg
(Richard George)

Mar 03, 2017 at 08:19 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Do you still have the box the monitor came in? Should be easy enough to pack the monitor into a box and just either carry it on board or pack within your checked luggage.

As far as a tripod stand, maybe see if there is a way to attach the monitor to the booth. I've been to many trade shows and we always attached the monitors to the booth. If you can't maybe rent a table which you can put the monitor on.

Lights are a problem. Anyway of lighting your booth with special lights which are better colour balanced?

Mar 03, 2017 at 09:18 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Really too many variable and unknowns to make any worthwhile suggestions with transporting the monitor ( Can you hire one at the destination?) but I would say don't get too caught up in the details of the setup. As for displaying, I have used small decorative chain and screwed into the mount points and hung the thing on a wall and got those old fashioned photo frame L type stands and sat the monitors in those as well. They fold flat so would be easy to throw in the bottom of a bag or box.

I have done heaps of shows using monitors or multiples thereof and I have NEVER even thought of colour balancing it and I'm damn sure the people I was trying to impress didn't either. I'd maintain that if anyone even thinks about the colour balance of the pictures, you have well and truly lost them way before that. You need to concentrate on things that matter to the customer, not being pedantic worrying about things only a shooter would concern themselves with.

Set the thing to it's built in setting of daylight or fluro or whatever Looks best at the time. Forget about how they will look in print, they won't be able to compare and will take whatever they are given without complaint. Go with whatever has the most wow factor and will draw people in. Not that one setting will make any damn difference over another in that regard anyway. Spend your time on other marketing materials and making sure you have pre empted as many typical objections you have heard before with killer answers so you can win the people over.

They will not buy on the look of your pics alone, but they will put great emphasis on your words and personal rapport you build with them.

Mar 06, 2017 at 12:39 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Depending on how long your show is, buying a monitor at the location is quite often cheaper than renting. Renting anything at those damn shows is extremely expensive...and not always easier as I've had rental equipment malfunction.

Mar 06, 2017 at 02:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

I take an Apple 27" display carried in an NSP soft case with me when I shoot on location. I haven't traveled by air with it yet but would anticipate a hefty charge from the airline. I've owned both the NSP and Tenba shipping cases but they were too large for my liking. The local photo rental house rents an Eizo display for $75 a day, I would anticipate most markets would have similar available. As far as mounting goes, I'd arrange for a folding table or AV cart with Convention Services.

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:38 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Hi,

Thanks to everybody who commented on this. As I get a table, a folding L-stand sounds like it might be the ticket if I can find one big enough (the monitor would be one of my spares - HP ZR24W ).

The monitors are so cheap now that I probably wouldn't even bring it back (2nd bag fee is more than what I paid for the last one of these I got) except that I'd like to put a few other things in whatever its shipped in.

On the color, some of the types of items would be physically there, so the color kind of matters. Not quite sure how to deal with that - not good to have somebody pick up a similar physical item on the next table and go "gee, yours looks <enter color here>" - Probably not really an issue, but...

Thanks for the observation about the other marketing materials - I'll work harder on the preparation of that.

thanks again,
rkg
(Richard George)

Mar 07, 2017 at 04:35 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · travelling with a monitor to a show...

Wouldn't a projector work better and be lighter

Mar 09, 2017 at 02:39 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password