FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · I hate bad news

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I hate bad news

Ugh, so much gloom and doom these days ...

h ttps://petapixel.com/2017/03/02/another-big-camera-store-fails-many-closing/

h ttps://lensvid.com/gear/lensvid-exclusive-happened-photography-industry-2016/

h ttp://hoodline.com/2017/02/after-67-years-in-soma-adolf-gasser-photography-to-close-shop

And I just got the eMail this morning MyPublisher is ending service this Spring.

All this comes at a time when more people are taking personal photographs than ever before.

Mar 03, 2017 at 10:19 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I hate bad news

The truth of the matter is that my iPhone 6S Plus takes a pretty darn good photo.

And if I have no intention of taking a photo to make a large print, my cameras stays at home, regardless of the size (ML or DSLR).

Even worse for video. The 1080p @ 60fps quality off my iPhone is good enough for just about any hobby project.

Mar 03, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I hate bad news

We've reached the 'good enough' level in terms of tech and that has been combined with the fact hardly anyone prints pictures anymore and the demands for web use are pretty low. Most people there days have never even seen a decent print irl and even if they have, they don't have the inclination to make them or even know wtf to do with them when if they do. My parents have an entire cupboard full of those kodak 6x4-with-negs wallets no one is ever going to sort through anytime soon.

Stores closing isn't just the p&s market (that arguably largely supported the camera industry) getting cannibalised by phones either, it's happening in almost all areas where amazon and REI-style big guys are involved. Smaller shops just cannot compete with the buying power, returns/service of these giants. You used to just have to be the best store in the local area to get business - now you have to be be the best nationally which is an almost an impossible task.

Interesting times. What is obvious is Nikon's already mad lenses prices are likely going even more mad - thank god for Sigma.

Mar 03, 2017 at 11:14 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I hate bad news

OT - in my mental hard drive full of random memories was a sunny sitting on the street across from Gasser's eating dim sum. Walking with speed into frame, dressed in a kilt with his trademark skunk hair, was Todd Rungren.

More OT — I never knew they were the first to bring Nikon into the country.

Mar 03, 2017 at 11:21 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I hate bad news

With online reviews and risk free online shopping why the hell would anyone waste time and go to a local shop?

I research before any purchase and those poor salesman never stand a chance to know enough about the products to be worth talking to.

Mar 03, 2017 at 11:29 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I hate bad news

InSanE wrote:
With online reviews and risk free online shopping why the hell would anyone waste time and go to a local shop?

I research before any purchase and those poor salesman never stand a chance to know enough about the products to be worth talking to.

Tend to agree. They know way less than I do so why am I buying from them? Probably just because they can offer me a better price.

Mar 03, 2017 at 12:25 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I hate bad news

InSanE wrote:

If one were buying, say, a Sigma Art lens and wanted to make sure they had a good copy. One could make sure of this before they left a physical store, instead of sending 4 back to Amazon like the horror stories we've all heard.

Mar 03, 2017 at 02:21 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I hate bad news

I rather test it at home for days than in store for minutes. Our stores dont allow returns once you leave, online is fine.

Mar 03, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I hate bad news

BSPhotog wrote:
If one were buying, say, a Sigma Art lens and wanted to make sure they had a good copy. One could make sure of this before they left a physical store, instead of sending 4 back to Amazon like the horror stories we've all heard.

Lugging in your of tripod, tape measure, test target (+ support) and camera then trying to convince a store to let you open a lens and do this in their shop (good luck!) vs having it delivered to you house and test at your leisure?

Mar 03, 2017 at 04:36 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I hate bad news

LeeSimms wrote:
Ugh, so much gloom and doom these days ...

You think that is gloom and doom?

Shit I wish I had your life!

Mar 03, 2017 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.