New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Backup very slow after SSD Install

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

I relented and installed an SSD in my win7 desktop as the primary drive, relegating the original hard disk to the role of data holder.

Problem is, trying to back up to my four external USB drives is now a slug. The pc is running beautifully but copying from the hard disk (now a D: drive) to the externals has slowed down so much it's not funny.

I have been into the device manager and told the drives to enable cacheing etc but to no avail, I can find no way of speeding them up. They were massively faster before the SSD was installed.

Any advice gratefully received.

Edited on Mar 02, 2017 at 08:06 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:03 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Is that a fresh install or a clone over?

It sounds to me like you are maybe not running the right driver for your motherboard and it is defaulted to the basic USB drivers.

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:06 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

15Bit wrote:
Is that a fresh install or a clone over?

It sounds to me like you are maybe not running the right driver for your motherboard and it is defaulted to the basic USB drivers.

I used the original recovery disks to reinstall back to a factory state but with the SSD instead of the hard disk, which I added later once I was sure the system was stable

I'm trying to back up 120 20 meg RAW files and it's been going at least half an hour, it's ridiculous

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:07 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Definitely do a check for more updated motherboard drivers. Could also be a DMA problem - that used to cause me slow hard drive transfers if not properly enabled.

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:09 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Where do you find motherboard drivers? They don't seem to be listed in Device Manager

Do we still have DMA with SATA drives?

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:12 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Hmm, good question on the DMA. I'm not sure.

The "motherboard drivers" are what i would call the collection of SATA controller, chipset, USB etc drivers that the motherboard vendor will usually supply. What system do you have?

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:42 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

15Bit wrote:
Hmm, good question on the DMA. I'm not sure.

The "motherboard drivers" are what i would call the collection of SATA controller, chipset, USB etc drivers that the motherboard vendor will usually supply. What system do you have?

It's an HP Pavillion running an i7 processor and now an SSD. I think this may be something to do with 'Legacy USB' settings but I can't change those in the BIOS, there isn't an option.

It's working very well except for a very slow USB transfer rate. I can't think of anything else to try

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:48 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Do you happen to know which Pavillion model it is?

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:51 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

15Bit wrote:
Do you happen to know which Pavillion model it is?

P6-2060uk, upgraded to 8gig ram and an i7 processor plus a Samsung SSD

It gets 6.7 in the windows performance test and works quite fast enough, except for copying to my 4 external drives (2 mains powered, two not)

I think this is something to do with the pc's USB output speed but I have changed all the settings in device manager I can. I'm a pretty experienced pc user but this is beyond my knowledge

Mar 03, 2017 at 07:25 AM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Did you accidentally plug your original hard drive into one of the slow USB connectors on your motherboard?

-Phil

Mar 03, 2017 at 03:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

PhilPDX wrote:
Did you accidentally plug your original hard drive into one of the slow USB connectors on your motherboard?

-Phil

The same USB sockets they were using before so it's not that, but thanks (they are all USB 2.0)

Mar 03, 2017 at 06:02 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

It shouldn't be a driver issue if you are still using the same motherboard and HD. Have you checked if your old hard drive is constantly spinning down? Also, take a look at the Task Manager to see if something else is eating CPU cycles or hogs memory.

-Phil

Mar 04, 2017 at 12:35 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

If you have a look at the driver support page, under "Driver-Keyboard, mouse and input devices" there is a USB host controller driver. I would suggest installing that and seeing what happens:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5151865/model/5184842

Mar 04, 2017 at 08:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

15Bit wrote:
If you have a look at the driver support page, under "Driver-Keyboard, mouse and input devices" there is a USB host controller driver. I would suggest installing that and seeing what happens:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5151865/model/5184842

I think you've solved it!!

I was a bit skeptical as it said it was for USB 3.0 but it does seem to have speeded things up, thanks very much, I really appreciate the help.

Clearly a USB driver didn't get reinstalled or needed updating

Mar 04, 2017 at 09:07 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

My pleasure. It's not the first time i've seen (or had personally) a similar issue. I always go to the hardware support page and download the drivers when i do reinstalls, as Windows doesn't always pick up everything from the MS repository.

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:52 PM
jharter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Just asking, but why use USB 2 on an i7 computer with an SSD? Seems like an unnecessary bottleneck especially with so many external drives.

Mar 04, 2017 at 03:03 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

jharter wrote:
Just asking, but why use USB 2 on an i7 computer with an SSD? Seems like an unnecessary bottleneck especially with so many external drives.

Because USB2 is all it supports

It's far from new, I've recently converted it to an i7 and added the SSD but I can't do much with the USB ports (AFAIK)

I only use one drive at a time, I have four backup drives and use them in strict rotation

I love the new SSD though, much much faster for many things (although RAW conversions aren't one of them sadly)

Mar 04, 2017 at 03:56 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Do you have an open PCI slot? There is such a huge difference between USB 2 and 3 that it would be worth a simple upgrade with something like this:

PCI to USB 3

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

jharter wrote:
Do you have an open PCI slot? There is such a huge difference between USB 2 and 3 that it would be worth a simple upgrade with something like this:

PCI to USB 3

Thanks, I know I could do that but the external drives are all USB 2.0

Mar 04, 2017 at 05:28 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Backup very slow after SSD Install

Well external HD's are relatively cheap and you probably don't need 4 as a backup, maybe even just 1-2 larger USB 3 drive. Could save yourself a lot of time and hassle.

$90 for an external 3TB USB 3 hard drive

Mar 05, 2017 at 02:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password