Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

Earlybird

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

Over the past few years, I've traveled to about 10 ball parks, including Wrigley this summer. Each team has its own rules regarding photography - the rules can be found on their websites. I had a DSLR with a tele-zoom at Wrigley and had no problems, except that one usher didn't want me shooting directly behind home plate during the game. However, I wandered around, came back later, another usher was there and let me shoot a couple shots.

Maybe the person who stopped you thought that the length of the lens might interfere with other patrons. Who knows?

At all other ballparks, I've had no problem entering with two lenses. I usually have one on my camera, the other in my pocket. I have to show them when going through the metal detectors, but never had any problem getting in.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM
gnagel
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

silverbird wrote:
Glenn,
I'm curious if your 300 2.8 lens was a white Canon or a black Nikon?
The Canon 100-400 zoom is white.
I also had a white aftermarket hood attached to it.
Wonder if the white lens deemed it a pro lens to the security people?
Next time I try bringing it to the ballpark, I'm switching to the black hood and getting a black lens coat/cover.
A month ago, I brought it with me to Comerica Park in Detroit with no issues.
Silverbird

I shoot Nikon...so the lens is black. When professional lenses are prohibited, security usually makes that call by either determining that (1) the camera uses detachable lenses, or (2) the lens is over a certain length.

Glenn

Jul 14, 2017 at 06:57 AM
dseiden

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

I just came back from Petco Park in San Diego where I was able to bring in my 300mm f4 without any issues. I have brought my D500 and D5 with that lens and teleconverters to both Petco and Fenway park many times. I have only been asked about it once but they were just curious about what it was that time.

I have seen people with bigger lenses at both parks but knowing where you seats are and how much room you will have is key as bothering other people is the parks biggest concern which is certainly justified.

Jul 16, 2017 at 07:30 PM
silverbird

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

FYI,
Recently I reached out to Wrigley Field to get clarification about the camera restrictions issue I experienced.
I received a response from the Director Of Security stating that the security person working the gate was incorrect in not allowing my lens and camera in to the Cubs game. The explanation was that this security person was probably under the impression that concert camera restrictions were in place for baseball games. Supposedly, at concerts, cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed.
They apologized to me for the inconvenience. The Director stated to me if I have a problem in the future, ask to see him.
Now that this issue has been settled, I can disclose that I did manage to "sneak" my camera in. However, I waited until after the 7th inning stretch to start shooting. I figured, in case I got the boot, I wanted to make sure I experienced "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at Wrigley Field.
Soon, I'll post up a few photos that I captured from after the 7th inning.
Silverbird

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:36 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cubs-Wrigley Field Camera Restrictions?

thanks for the followup, cubs win, cubs win!

Jul 27, 2017 at 08:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.