New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

chas
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I am replacing a 7D with over 110K clicks that is suffering from chronic Err 30 failures. I have never been thrilled with this body, with the noise issues everyone has always complained about, as well as exposure inconsistencies that I have never been able to really work out. I know that many people swear by the 7D II, I just don't have the faith in the 7D line to make that bet, hence this purchase. Most of my shooting with this body will be sports and air shows. ( I have a 5D III for my other shooting).

I am looking to buy a used 1D IV, and have been watching the Buy and Sell board, as well as looking at other sources such as B&H and MPB. The prices on the commercial boards range from almost $1900 for a almost-like-new body with less than 10K clicks, down to about $1100 for bodies with some significant cosmetic wear and over 120K clicks. On Buy and Sell, the prices seem to run a few hundred $ less, with the average being around $1200, but they seem to be getting pretty rare. Any advice on what is a reasonable shutter count, and any other experience buying a used 1D, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

Mar 01, 2017 at 11:14 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

When Canon released the camera, the estimated Shutter life was stated as 300,000 actuations. The camera was released in late 2009, so I expect another 2 to 3 years of service life before Canon stops servicing them. The price will continue to drop the older the camera gets. I would feel comfortable buying a camera that was in good (not perfect but 9 or better) cosmetic condition and 100,000 actuations or less for $1,200 or less. I've seen some very nice units sell on eBay for $1,000 or less recently.

Mar 01, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

chas wrote:
I am replacing a 7D with over 110K clicks that is suffering from chronic Err 30 failures. I have never been thrilled with this body, with the noise issues everyone has always complained about, as well as exposure inconsistencies that I have never been able to really work out. I know that many people swear by the 7D II, I just don't have the faith in the 7D line to make that bet, hence this purchase. Most of my shooting with this body will be sports and air shows. ( I have a 5D III for my other shooting).

I am
...Show more

The 1d4 is a great camera. Great choice for the price!

Years ago I bought a 1d4 with a 120k shutter count for over $4k. I didn't bat an eye. 120k is nothing when the shutter is rated to 300k. And today you can buy one for $1200. Amazing.

I never worry about shutter count if it is below half the rating, 300k. Know many shutter go well over 500k. If you buy from a sports guy the body is sure to have some wear, beat up. Often only cosmetic.

Be patient and place a WTB add on FM and you are sure to find a great body that is clean and will have a lower shutter count.

Grant

Mar 01, 2017 at 11:56 PM
marklankton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I sold my low-mileage 1D4 on the Buy and Sell board here about a year ago for just over $1200. They are out there, for sure, and those bodies are bulletproof. I agree, be patient and you will land one and be happy.
Mark

Mar 02, 2017 at 12:29 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Better hurry, this 1D4 will not last long > https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1472570

Mar 02, 2017 at 07:37 AM
bennet
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Really? It's been there for over a month. You can find better deal on eBay.

schlotz wrote:
Better hurry, this 1D4 will not last long > https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1472570

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:57 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Do you guys trust buying camera equipment on ebay?

Mar 02, 2017 at 09:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Do you guys trust buying camera equipment on ebay?

I have over 700 photo gear B&S transactions on eBay, with 100% positive feedback. As long as you keep a clear head (i.e. carefully read the item description and ask questions about issues that are unclear or not mentioned, don't spend more than your budget, without good reason, and use PayPal for an item, not gift, never gift) you'll be just as 'safe' buying on eBay as just about anywhere else.

As far as what to look for in the 1DIV, I would not care a fig about shutter count. I would want to see high quality photos of all exterior views of the body ("brassing" and light marks are fine, dents and "creases" are not acceptable). I would also want to see at least one original Canon battery and LC-E4 charger, and a clear statement that everything works as it should.

Mar 02, 2017 at 09:43 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

im using a sigma 150-600 C on my old - beat up to crap - mk4. It's a dream combo really. Relatively lightweight, (compared to a 500) with really good reach for birds and pretty sharp.

Works well with the TC1401 too!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sigma-150-600-Contemporary/i-sf6r56W/0/XL/RTHG-XL.jpg

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:18 AM
elfanucchi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I do not trust Buying Used Equipment from Individual Sellers ..
But I have sold my Used Equipment to Individual Buyers ..
I know my Equipment is Good ..
Its not the equipment ...
Its the sellers !!

Unless you know them and really trust .. Stay Away from it ..

I have purchased some refurbished from Canon Direct .. even then have 1 out of 5 DOA statistics.
A 5D III from Canon that would get stuck on Sensor clean. They said it must have been dropped .. no box damage.

New and Bid on New is very favorable and see little value for the used risk.
There is risk in everything no matter how you go ... but in today's world .. there are too many risky characters.

If I was not wealthy enough to buy new ... I would get out of photography !!

Edited on Mar 02, 2017 at 12:38 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:29 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

At higher ISOs, like at 6400/12800, I presume that the 1D4 is about a stop better than the 7D, which is pretty good. You can use DPreview's comparison tool if you would like, but I also have done back to back comparisons.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=canon_eos7d&masterSample=canon7d_iso1600.acr&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=canon_eos7d&slot0Sample=canon7d_iso1600.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=canon_eos1dmkiv&slot1Sample=canon1d4_iso1600.acr&x=-0.8977783891601893&y=0.2490301249521258

Here is my ISO 1600 comparison:

I wouldn't buy the 1D4 just for an ISO increase, IMO, buy it for the other things it offers. The 7D2 meets or beats out the 1D4 at these levels, but the 5D4 is probably the best option. The 30Mpx provides a 1.3 crop that has more resolution left than what the 1D4 has natively, and at a much cleaner result.

Mar 02, 2017 at 12:19 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

jcolwell wrote:
As far as what to look for in the 1DIV, I would not care a fig about shutter count. I would want to see high quality photos of all exterior views of the body ("brassing" and light marks are fine, dents and "creases" are not acceptable). I would also want to see at least one original Canon battery and LC-E4 charger, and a clear statement that everything works as it should.

This

Mar 02, 2017 at 01:05 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

TeamSpeed wrote:
I wouldn't buy the 1D4 just for an ISO increase, IMO, buy it for the other things it offers. The 7D2 meets or beats out the 1D4 at these levels, but the 5D4 is probably the best option. The 30Mpx provides a 1.3 crop that has more resolution left than what the 1D4 has natively, and at a much cleaner result.

What 1.3crop has 30 Mpx?

Mar 02, 2017 at 03:12 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I apologize. I never said that, or don't think I did?

Let me restate what I said to hopefully make it clearer?

The 5D4 30Mpx has enough resolution that the resulting 1.3 crop has more resolution than the 1d4, and gives a better result.

Mar 02, 2017 at 03:39 PM
tshore
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I bought a used low mileage 1Div on the B/S board here a couple of years ago, effectively to replace my 7D, and it has been a great body. You will appreciate I think the solidity, the built-in grip, and longer battery life among other things. The weightiness helps balance big whites, IMO. As said above, the noise is about 1 stop better than 7D. Autofocus is more reliable on 1Div than on 7D in my experience, though 7D offers some additional options. The only area where the 1Div gives up anything to the 7D is resolution, which can come into play if you crop heavily. But often the lower noise and more consistently accurate focus of the 1Div more than make up for this. And the 1Div's resolution is basically the same as the 1Dxii, at a fraction of the cost. 1Div's seem like great bargains now. They are built so solidly, and the pics take now will be just as good as the ones they took when they were a new $5k camera.

Mar 02, 2017 at 04:22 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Jeff Donald wrote:
When Canon released the camera, the estimated Shutter life was stated as 300,000 actuations. The camera was released in late 2009, so I expect another 2 to 3 years of service life before Canon stops servicing them.

Does Canon still service them? They're no longer on the list for CPS service...

Mar 02, 2017 at 05:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

Jeff Donald wrote:
When Canon released the camera, the estimated Shutter life was stated as 300,000 actuations. The camera was released in late 2009, so I expect another 2 to 3 years of service life before Canon stops servicing them.

molson wrote:
Does Canon still service them? They're no longer on the list for CPS service...

That's new. I just fired off an email to CPS to ask if the Mk IV is still supported. I'll post the reply here, probably tomorrow.

Mar 02, 2017 at 05:32 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

I bought and sold this camera when it was brand new, then purchased another pair of them used several years later at a much lower cost. I still own this pair of 1D4s for sports / action; they honestly have grown quite comfortable for me. I know they are losing value, but I am finding it hard to part with them.

I also shoot event work with full frame cameras having better high ISO and quieter operation. But oddly I find that I actually prefer the equivalent focal length ranges of the 24-70 and 70-200 when paired with the APS-H sensor in my Mark IVs.

I so wish Canon would bring back this sensor size for the 7D Mark III. But sadly, I expect that this will never happen.

Mar 02, 2017 at 05:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

garyvot wrote:
I know they are losing value, but I am finding it hard to part with them.

I kept my 1DIV, because of its low resale value. I sold my 1DX, because of its high resale value. If I ever get seriously back into shooting sports, I'll buy another 1DX, or two.

Mar 02, 2017 at 05:57 PM
daleg
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Advice on buying used Canon 1D Mark IV

jcolwell wrote:
I kept my 1DIV, because of its low resale value. I sold my 1DX, because of its high resale value. If I ever get seriously back into shooting sports, I'll buy another 1DX, or two.

I also kept my 1D4 - and about the "low-mileage" concerns, I bought my 1D4 from another FM board member (thanks, Herb!) - it looks pristine - not a noticeable mark or blemish to be found - and it's not shelf art - its current shutter count is 1,201,449 - 4th shutter, 2nd mirror box assmbly. and it's probably time to replace the shutter. see big smile on my face - this is a nice camera!

But I traded my like-new 1DX for a brand-new 1DX2 - also a nice camera

why? because I could.

Mar 02, 2017 at 06:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.