New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

bill9000
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but what is a real-world expectation of manual focus difficulty with a D810/Zeiss 135? - as in, say headshots... or 3/4 body shots, how hard is it to really NAIL focus?

I'm sure its easy to get close, but how easy to totally nail focus? (reason being is I see a lot of sample shots across the web from it, and the bokeh, color is great.... but focus doesn't appear to be perfect. that leads me to think it may be quite difficult to really nail?)

I'm thinking live view/zoom manual focus is quite time consuming.

how reliable is focus confirmation on it?

anyone have any REALLY nailed examples of focus, like 3/4 body ish? wide open?

Basically, I'm trying to assess the actual feasibility of how hard would it be to actually focus with the thing?

Mar 01, 2017 at 03:07 PM
MIRANDA1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I can't speak to the Nikon but on the Sony A7R2 with magnification and stabilization of the viewfinder image it's very easy.

Mar 01, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I have used the 135 APO on a D810 for action shots, and it's tough, but possible to get good focus with the focus dot. But the dot will light up for a range of focusing distances, so just because it's on doesn't mean you have focus. You need to figure out when in its range of turn-on distances is the right distance, and calibrate your muscle memory for that. You also should approach the focusing point from the same direction: I always rack the lens closer in focusing distance, so I approach it from front-focus (ie. start at a closer focusing distance, and increase the distance to get to your focusing point). My dot turns on a bit before actual focus.

After figuring all that stuff out, you need to practice, practice, practice, so all that stuff is in your body, and you don't need to think too much about it. Bracketing shots also helps both for sharpness and sometimes focus: I have Ch set to a 3-frame burst limit. I miss a lot, but I do get keepers.

Mar 01, 2017 at 03:46 PM
bill9000
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I was thinking live view like that, yea...
I was thinking tripod, + live view and maybe....

handheld, probably not so much?

Mar 01, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

Handheld, I've only managed to nail focus on the A7-series, by using B&W Picture Mode (to make the EVF B&W, but keep the RAW colour), and enable focus peaking. So I clearly see colour where something's in focus. This allowed me to get keepers of moving targets (people).

For an OVF camera, my recommendation would be to enable high-speed shooting, and to do a focus pull through your expected zone of focus, whilst holding down the shutter button. Sure, you'll blow through 20-30 shots and only get 1-2 keepers, but at least you get 1-2 keepers. Since you're not burning though film, it's about the sanest/easiest way of doing this. Even handheld, etc.

Mar 01, 2017 at 04:47 PM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I owned the ZF.2 135/2 with a D810 for a year, and I even used the eyepiece magnifier available from Nikon and it was still near impossible to nail focus with. Sure, the green dot in the corner of the screen works okay, but I don't want to take my eye of my subject to check focus. If your focus is moving, forget about getting a usable shot unless you're willing to focus bracket in a burst. I even tested this thoroughly, I put the camera on a tripod and compared my feeling of proper focus, green dot focus and live view focus, and found that in all cases - what I *SAW* was way off from both the green dot and the live view, which tells me that the D810 viewfinder was misaligned from proper plane of focus making it absolutely impossible to do a focused shot using my eyes only. Plus, the viewfinder of most modern cameras show a DOF of about f/4 - f/5.6 creating a rather large error window for bright lenses.

I eventually gave up and sold everything to move to medium format where I'm still at, and recently added a Sony A7sII to my arsenal, and now regret selling the Z135. I tried it once with a A7r (mark1) and focusing was a breeze. D810 doesn't have a suitable focusing screen for manual focusing, and neither do the latest Canon bodies.

Mar 01, 2017 at 05:03 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I owned the ZF.2 135/2 with a D810 for a year, and I even used the eyepiece magnifier available from Nikon and it was still near impossible to nail focus with.
Huh?! If you grew up with MF you'd have no trouble with the combo. I use mine
primarily for portraits but have done some barrel racing (rodeo) with it and while
the keeper rate's probably half of fast AF glass, it's doable (even sold some 16 X 20's)
My 135 f2 DC would not AF consistently under those conditions, kinda forced my hand.

Mar 02, 2017 at 07:26 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I find the green focus dot to be quite accurate on the d800 when using my samyang 135/2. It's not a zeiss but it's the same focal length and I shoot it almost exclusively at f2.

If they subject isn't moving much it can be done readily.

Here is an example I took of my daughter, as well as a 100% crop on the eye. You can see the houses on the horizon reflected in it, sharp enough for me.

http://i.imgur.com/wkFmozB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0qYyiS2.jpg

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:19 AM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I use the D810 2/135 combo. For portraiture, it can be difficult wide open and close up to nail focus at least for me, even with the magnifier (I never previously shot MF before this lens other than live view 100%). Though the subject does clearly snap into focus through the D810 OVF - it just might not be critical focus due to the focusing screen. That said, shooting the 135 is also addictive, since the lens is so damn good. Over time, it gets easier as you learn to use the focus dot and/or incorporate rocking and tweaking the focus over a series of shots.

There are a few issues other than MF you should be aware of though. It is not a light lens, so if you're not using a fast enough shutter, you will see camera shake if pixel peeping. Also, the lens is so sharp it may not be optimal for portrait shots you're asking about, as it reveals everything on the 36mp sensor.

All that said, I would never sell it. It is a joy to operate and handle, and is built to last.

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:28 AM
bill9000
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

Thanks for the replies...
I'm working on a decision here, I am super picky about critical focus, so I need to make sure before I pull the trigger

thank you.

Mar 02, 2017 at 11:15 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

135 is one of more difficult lens for manual focusing. With its high contrast and sharp optics you would think the opposite. However, because of poor design of focus ring (too smooth with short focus range between 3M to infinity), it is very hard to nail focus for anything moving or focus in timely manner for not moving stuff.

However, Give me enough time for static subject, I can nail it every time with D810 with stock screen by fine turn the focusing and eyeball the contrast.

The lens is first class flawless.

Mar 02, 2017 at 02:04 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I have the ZE version and love it. It's so sharp at the precise point of focus that you'll notice immediately if you miss by a hair.

I wouldn't attempt to use it on Canon without tripod and magnified Live View. Mainly I use it on Sony A7RII, which is wonderful with its magnified EVF. Again, I'm always on a tripod, but I don't shoot subjects that move.

Mar 02, 2017 at 02:57 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

The OP is asking about focusing on the Nikon D810. Anything is easy to focus on the A7RII, that's one of it's strong points, but that's not relevant to the OP's question.

Mar 02, 2017 at 04:04 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

JohnJ wrote:
The OP is asking about focusing on the Nikon D810. Anything is easy to focus on the A7RII, that's one of it's strong points, but that's not relevant to the OP's question.

That's why I pointed out my experience on BOTH cameras as a comparison.

Mar 02, 2017 at 04:24 PM
bill9000
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

zhangyue wrote:
However, Give me enough time for static subject, I can nail it every time with D810 with stock screen by fine turn the focusing and eyeball the contrast.

is that with magnified live view?

Mar 03, 2017 at 11:52 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

Green dot shot

© riversbendphotography

Mar 03, 2017 at 12:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

bill9000 wrote:
is that with magnified live view?

Not live new but through OVF. Green dot is also helpful, especially at low light.

Mar 03, 2017 at 12:46 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

I would suggest using split screen for manual focus on Nikon d810. I had this problem when I first used the Otus 55 and zeiss 135. The dot focusing got really distracting and it made it really hard to focus on the subject. I ended grabbing a Sony a7r ii which makes it seem like I'm focusing the lenses at autofocus speed. I ended up getting a split screen on my d810 and find the experience great. I enjoy using the Nikon more then the Sony even though it doesn't garauntee 100% keeper rate like the Sony

Mar 04, 2017 at 03:55 PM
SteveDK
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

You can AF Fine Tune a Zeiss ZF.2 or Milvus ZF.2 lens on a Nikon DSLR because it has a CPU. This can improve the green dot focus confirmation accuracy. Older CPU free ZF lenses can't be fine tuned, but the 135mm/2 has only been made in ZF.2 and Milvus ZF.2 variants so far. However, if you have multiple Zeiss lenses, you have to be aware that Nikons will only save one AF FT value for all your ZF.2 lenses, and they all must share the same value even if you have some lenses that don't match. I have not had a problem with my D800E and ZF.2 lenses which all seem consistently spot on at AF FT Zero.

Mar 04, 2017 at 05:44 PM
bill9000
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss 135/2 focusing?

Alexluu627 wrote:
I would suggest using split screen for manual focus on Nikon d810. I had this problem when I first used the Otus 55 and zeiss 135. The dot focusing got really distracting and it made it really hard to focus on the subject. I ended grabbing a Sony a7r ii which makes it seem like I'm focusing the lenses at autofocus speed. I ended up getting a split screen on my d810 and find the experience great. I enjoy using the Nikon more then the Sony even though it doesn't garauntee 100% keeper rate like the Sony

thanks
so, with the split screen is it accurate enough to achieve good enough results to use it for headshots (adults) and such?

and also, does the split screen interfere with autofocus on the other lenses?

Mar 04, 2017 at 08:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.