New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

bobmcg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I would appreciate recommendations for a reliable wireless remote shutter trigger to be used on a Nikon D810. It will be used while camera is in portrait mode on an L bracket. I can't seem to find one that doesn't come with many negative reviews. Thanks in advance.

Feb 28, 2017 at 08:11 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Well, I know one that is very reliable, and also provides the half press function if you want to use it. A pair of PocketWizard Plus III triggers and the right shutter trigger cable that fits your camera will work great. Now the negative ... you will be spending almost $300 for the setup. You did say reliable, right?

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:30 PM
jbaduini

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1417421

Mar 01, 2017 at 04:02 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I would go with two pocket wizard plus? models unless I had the ittl flexes. I've use both with reliable results more than I can say for any other remote wireless or wired. I pulled my wire remote out to use the other week and it wouldn't work.

Mar 01, 2017 at 09:34 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I just bought my second Vellos Freewave RF Micro shutter release. $73 @ B&H. That's all it does....release the shutter. My first one lasted over 5 years. Extremely light - weight and reliable. I use it with my D810.

I really like the small size. I attach the transmitter to a D ring on my photo vest. Never have to worry about losing it or search for it.

Mar 01, 2017 at 09:55 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Been using a Vello 'ShutterBoss' wireless remote shutter for years and its never given me any problems

Mar 02, 2017 at 04:00 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Another vote for the Vello. I've had one for years that just keeps working. We also use one at work, and it has never failed. Unless of course the batteries are dead.

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:24 AM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I use the Nikon WR-R10/WR-T10/WR-A10 wireless remote adapter set and it's fantastic! I have no complaints with it at all.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/911445-REG/nikon_27106_wr_a10_wireless_remote_controller.html

Mar 03, 2017 at 10:58 AM
7.5 Ire

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I've had this one for a couple weeks now mounted on my D810. For $ 60 it works great!
https://www.amazon.com/RFN-4s-Wireless-Shutter-Release-connection/dp/B005PCDSBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489372202&sr=8-1&keywords=d810+trigger+wireless

Mar 12, 2017 at 09:36 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

The Vello Shutterboss is a re-branding of one made by Pixel. Pixel's TW28x can be bought for $28 at Amazon.com. For users of cross systems (e.g., Canon, Nikon, Sony) you can buy a separate cable for your second system for about $10. Some users are happy with their Pixels (Vello)

Apr 12, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Another vote for Vello Freewave. I paid either $20 or $30 for mine two years ago. Yet to have a misfire.

Apr 16, 2017 at 01:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

My Vello's 5 yrs old and has been used on 11+ cameras, still truckin'
One must consider their IQ (or lack thereof) when reading "reviews"
So, if you're smart enough to plug it in...you should be happy.

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:21 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

bottom line is get a vello; specific model doesn't matter. get the flavour that suits your fancy.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Roland W wrote:
Well, I know one that is very reliable, and also provides the half press function if you want to use it. A pair of PocketWizard Plus III triggers and the right shutter trigger cable that fits your camera will work great. Now the negative ... you will be spending almost $300 for the setup. You did say reliable, right?

Second the pw

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:27 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Vello Freewave from B&H. Amazon has a Vivitar (exactly the same) for about half the price of the Vello.

Apr 18, 2017 at 07:08 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

Got my Pixel (Vello in another incarnation) and tried it out on my Canon DSLR. Works fine so far on single shots. Need to try other features like multi shots, delayed timer and time-lapse. I ordered a separate cable for the Sony E mount but the jack did not fit the Pixel's receiver (2.5mm doesn't fit 3.5mm jack) so I purchased a standalone jack for $4 to make the transition and it works just fine. So now, my Pixel can work for both the Canon and Sony.

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:31 PM
grahamclark

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

bobmcg wrote:
I would appreciate recommendations for a reliable wireless remote shutter trigger to be used on a Nikon D810. It will be used while camera is in portrait mode on an L bracket. I can't seem to find one that doesn't come with many negative reviews. Thanks in advance.

I'm making one right now, all-aluminum enclosure, water resistant, wireless, one with shutter release another model with intervalometer

not a solution now, but it's definitely going to be the best one out there

not that I have any real competition though

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

The only reliable setup I know of is the pocket wizard vs 1-X plus the ittl mode radios tt5 mini.

Apr 27, 2017 at 02:01 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wireless remote shutter trigger

I have PW but for wireless shutter I use the SMDV RFN-4s, works great and less money.

This issue with the PW camera cable is, with the socket alignment, the strain relief still protrudes out past the camera getting in the way of portrait mode shooting using an L-bracket. One could loosen the L-bracket and realign it to give you some room but I find the SMDV RFN-4s works well and is not in the way of any camera orientation. The only caveat is reaching the Bracket button on the camera body, the SMDV RGN-4s is slightly in the way but reachable.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.