32       33       end

Archive 2017 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.31 #1 · p.31 #1 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

T-O Shooter wrote:
[

When you get charged with the decision of when I can post. Nice of you to mix two posts together.

aah, i see, so then it is only you that is "charged" with that because it was you that tried telling AnnJS when she can post

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:36 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.31 #2 · p.31 #2 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

jpelt78 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken. No one is forcing you to read the thread if you have no interest in it.

and just WTF are you to decide what i am interested in? what has my interest in this thread have to do with the endless ranting of the "shooter"? now get lost

Edited on Jul 02, 2017 at 08:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #3 · p.31 #3 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

T-O Shooter wrote:
Horribly wrong I guess. I remember now that I'm seeing your post. I hate to have been giving misleading info.

However, other than not seeing the focus points, how is this different from say, a D4s? How long could you stay off primary focus point but within the cluster with a 4s and still retain focus? Any idea?

The timing is the difference.

With the old system (and the one in the D7500 too), it will hold the lock indefinitely with the outer points.

For instance, with the old system I could have my daughter walk towards me, take the primary point off of her (but keep her in the selected area) and the camera would keep the lock until I let go of the AF button (unless the outer points lost the lock, which usually doesn't happen on such an easy target). With the D5/D500 under the same conditions, it would continue to track her for a moment (the delay setting) and then try the primary AF point again, usually jumping to the background.

In my opinion, the old system makes it easier to keep focus on a very erratic subject with a large AF area. I think the new system is better when the AF area is smaller since that small Af area was probably selected because you actually can keep the AF point well placed on the subject.

Fingers crossed for an update that allows customization Maybe on the D820

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:39 PM
jpelt78
• • •
p.31 #4 · p.31 #4 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I'm nobody. Just a suggestion.

Interesting the responses of some when it's suggested that Nikon might have made one mistake.

brian_sp wrote:
and just WTF are you to decide what i am interested in? what has my interest in this thread have to do with the endless ranting of the "shooter"? now get lost

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Robert Dull

p.31 #5 · p.31 #5 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Well then make it three cause my two work as it's suppose too. I still contend and as ikka showed in his test that "predictive auto focus TRACKING"(it's in the manual btw) is hugely revelant BUT,as I shoot my dogs running and jumping over logs,around things etc,I can't see how it can predict sudden changes in speed,shifts across the frame,etc so the outer points MUST work. I have photos that show just this,understand I don't shoot high fps just randomly fire. These two shots I didn't really bother to "track" his face as I am confident the outer points do work,however as we know it's time constrained. These were 72 point. For what it's worth.............

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:52 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.31 #6 · p.31 #6 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Nicely proven, Robert!

Yes Dynamic AF does work on the D5 and D500 — for those who are willing to adapt and learn how to use it!

Jul 03, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.31 #7 · p.31 #7 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

as Steve says its all about the timing / delay of the AF

Shooting something fast & erratic then the D4s is more rewarding in Dynamic, when you most likely use a large AF area. (well I do).
Large area AF on my D5 serves no purpose against my D4s.

Jul 03, 2017 at 01:58 PM
T-O Shooter
• •
[X]
p.31 #8 · p.31 #8 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

AnnJS wrote:
Nicely proven, Robert!

Yes Dynamic AF does work on the D5 and D500 — for those who are willing to adapt and learn how to use it!

It wouldn't hurt if you could make your point without the attitude. No offence.

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #9 · p.31 #9 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

AF-C Dynamic 25 points. First shot in 8-burst sequence followed by last shot in the sequence. Large crops.

Followed by crops of all 8 images. If you don't think a Bald Eagle diving full speed for prey is travelling at a pretty high speed, you have not witnessed it.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:01 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.31 #10 · p.31 #10 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Just a matter of keeping the points on the bird, that's why a prefer 3D you can be less precise and even think about composing whilst shooting.

http://www.wildphotolife.co.uk/norway/images/_DSC2142_00250.jpg

Tim

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:50 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.31 #11 · p.31 #11 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

there ya go, 3 examples of just getting out there and making what you have work

others just sit in this thread and complain and complain and complain

sure, dynamic has changed, Steve has confirmed that with the help of Keith and snapsy but least they aren't beating a dead horse about it

if you don't like how the D500 performs then go back to the D300s, don't like how the D5 performs buy a D4s, or else there is canon, olympus, fuji, sony, should be something to make the complainer happy...i would hope

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:30 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.31 #12 · p.31 #12 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

There ya go, the Flat Earth Society has successfully avoided all logical points of debate and decreed that complainers complain, complain, complain. There is no problem. Because Eagles and Dogs.

Happy to see this nasty issue resolved once and for all.

Jul 04, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.31 #13 · p.31 #13 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

AnnJS wrote:
"Yes Dynamic AF does work on the D5 and D500 — for those who are willing to adapt and learn how to use it".

Well said, AnnJS!

The tools work perfectly fine.

Jul 04, 2017 at 10:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.31 #14 · p.31 #14 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I also could post 100s of tack sharp BIF sequences taken in D25. No one is saying it doesn't work, we are saying it doesn't work as it used to and that especially for the D72 and D153 it really doesn't do anything beyond what the smaller 25 or 9 or single point would do. It probably buys you a small amount of leeway over single point but nothing like it used to in the older system.

Anyways, I'm happy with my D500 AF results....very happy indeed but most of my happiness stems from the way Group and 3D work and very little from how Dynamic modes work. I think Dynamic could be improved and I would prefer it to be like the old way if I had a choice.

Jul 04, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.31 #15 · p.31 #15 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Anyone tell me on here what D72 and D153 does as I can't see it doing anything better / different to D9 / D25?
(unless you point to the sky)

On the the old dynamic the higher number of points made a difference and could be of some help, whats the point of D72 / D153 on the new system? if they worked as in the past happy days I could understand but now I wonder why they are on the camera.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.31 #16 · p.31 #16 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

A new camera with new AF- system.

Forget the old, learn the new. Up to you from whom you want to listen to...I suggest Nikon.....;

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d5_tips/

Read pdf's and watch the movies :-).
Howard Kearley wrote:
Anyone tell me on here what D72 and D153 does as I can't see it doing anything better / different to D9 / D25?
(unless you point to the sky)

On the the old dynamic the higher number of points made a difference and could be of some help, whats the point of D72 / D153 on the new system? if they worked as in the past happy days I could understand but now I wonder why they are on the camera.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:34 PM
multibit
• • •
p.31 #17 · p.31 #17 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Would single point focus be best for birds flying from tree branches ? Most of the time I have no problems with birds using the D500 if theres no background objects, soon as theres trees/branches in the background I'm having problems . Example there was a Woodpecker sat on a branch , it would fly towards me onto a feeder to the left. It did this several times , I tried group and then D25 but the focus had problems staying locked onto it soon as it flew off. I did manage to keep it middle of the frame , I've tried altering the time on A3. With birds in the sky flying towards or at the side causes no problem using D25

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:04 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.31 #18 · p.31 #18 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

wow, is there anyone out there that can confirm that the world is really not flat

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:29 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.31 #19 · p.31 #19 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

multibit wrote:
Would single point focus be best for birds flying from tree branches ? Most of the time I have no problems with birds using the D500 if theres no background objects, soon as theres trees/branches in the background I'm having problems . Example there was a Woodpecker sat on a branch , it would fly towards me onto a feeder to the left. It did this several times , I tried group and then D25 but the focus had problems staying locked onto it soon as it flew off. I did manage to keep it middle of the frame ,
...Show more

Busy backgrounds make BIF photography (especially small fast woodpeckers) very difficult for any current AF system. I don't think single point would do much better than your D25 attempts. Even though D25 doesn't add much on this new system it still probably gives a little more leeway than single. Setting the delay to maximum would be something to try.

When I have subject in front of busy background I've had most success with Group AF on the D500 because Group is designed to focus on the nearest subject (it isn't good if there are foreground distractions or shooting through brush, grass etc). If you have the Woodpecker on a branch then I would also give 3D a try as you start AF while it is on the branch and then if you do your part panning the 3D may track it. However, if the background is fairly close to the bird then 3D usually fails and actually all the modes have very low success. Top end Canon AF that I use in 1DX2 isn't any better at this sort of situation. There is just a lot of confusion for the AF system with fast panning and close, cluttered backgrounds.

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:29 PM
multibit
• • •
p.31 #20 · p.31 #20 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

^^^Thank you much appreciated , I'm still learning It's just a little frustrating at times, most other times it has no problem, infact D25 has been working quite well with BIF as long as theres no trees close by. I've found Group to be really fast for smaller birds like swifts . I'll try increasing delay and also give 3D a try for things like the woodpecker in trees

Edited on Jul 04, 2017 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:04 PM
1       2       3              30      
       32       33       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
       32       33       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.