FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       end

UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

AnnJS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I am fairly certain that i read an official Nikon notice giving that very reason for NOT providing D9 for the D500 but only for the larger sensor in the D5.

Mar 29, 2017 at 04:03 PM
dbaphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I've been shooting high school sports for years, using many generations of Nikon cameras, and using the dynamic focus modes very successfully. This year at some basketball championships I got very frustrated at the number of times my D5 lost focus on the player I was trying to follow. I was considering sending it in for service when I stumbled onto this thread. I believe that the information Steve and others have uncovered explains what was happening. The information about how the dynamic AF system differs from previous camera generations will be invaluable to help avoid such frustrations in the future.

I have pre-purchased Steve's new book to say thank you. Even if I learn nothing new from the book, what I have learned from this thread is more than worth the cost.

Mar 29, 2017 at 04:36 PM
sk66

p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

AnnJS wrote:
I am fairly certain that i read an official Nikon notice giving that very reason for NOT providing D9 for the D500 but only for the larger sensor in the D5.

The AF modules (focus points) are the same. On the D500 they cover pretty much the entire frame.

Mar 29, 2017 at 09:59 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

sk66 wrote:
The AF modules (focus points) are the same. On the D500 they cover pretty much the entire frame.

Exactly. If you stand in one spot and use the same lens on each camera the focus area will cover the same amount of subject area. Each point should be covering the same amount of subject. You will just have all the extra room around the frame in the D5 image.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:28 PM
covigner

p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

I've also purchased Steve's Nikon AF book mainly on account of the extremely helpful information he has generously provided in this thread. The knowledge I've gained about the functioning of the new Dynamic AF modes, is by itself worth more than the price of the book IMHO!

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Thanks so much for the pre-orders Certainly not necessary but still greatly appreciated

Mar 30, 2017 at 01:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sritri
• • • •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Steve Perry wrote:
Thanks so much for the pre-orders Certainly not necessary but still greatly appreciated

Can't wait to read the ebook Steve.

I have since sent in my lens to Mama for a quick check and also sent in enquiry to Nikon with a link to this thread. I don't hope to get any reaction, but I did it anyway

Thanks for your numerous tips and techniques.

Mar 30, 2017 at 02:33 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

The 2nd reply that I have from Nikon UK.

Your case has been updated.
Hello
Your support case has been updated by one of our team members.
Question details:
Subject: D5 and D500 - Dynamic AF not working correctly | Case #: 01867793
Response from John M
Dear Howard,

Further to your recent inquiry I have some additional information which I hope explains what you are experiencing.

The AF engine in the D5 and D500 has changed significantly to the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module, a key difference with this is that besides the significant increase in focusing points it also has its own dedicated processor. Due to all of these different components there are differences compared to previous cameras.

1. What custom option is set for a3 in the camera menu, with the D5 and D500 you get additional control depending on the subject matter. The higher density of AF points can be a benefit or depending on the subject matter reducing the number of dynamic AF points can be good too. See the guide below for further information on how this might be helpful.

http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive2/nj3h000gsIDx028V24d56s2q6H87/D5_TG_AF_(En)04.pdf

AF lock-on can be set with two parameters:
“Subject motion" to set characteristics of the subject’s movement
"Blocked shot AF response" to set sensitivity of response to any object (other than the subject) moving across the frame
Simple setting terms ("Erratic/steady," “Quick/Delayed") are adopted for more intuitive setting

2. The main AF point in Dynamic AF can be moved around and this is recorded where ever it was at the time of exposure after recomposing.

3. Different components are used and listed in the User Manual and its normal for performance to vary between two products in this scenario, not everything is listed in the user manual, but the users guides from our download centre can expand further with this along with asking us directly.

I hope this reply clarifies things and if you have any other queries for Nikon in the future please contact us again.

Kind Regards,
J.B. Maher
Advisor
Nikon Customer Support

Mar 30, 2017 at 01:23 PM
sk66

p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Howard Kearley wrote:

Great, more of the same...

Nikon tech has gone silent on me, I haven't heard back as they indicated I would... I don't know if that means they are advancing the issue and don't have an answer yet, or that they just don't have an answer.

Mar 30, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Howard Kearley wrote:

Hello
Question details:
Response from John M
Dear Howard,

Further to your recent inquiry I have some additional information which I hope explains what you are experiencing.

The AF engine in the D5 and D500 has changed significantly to the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module, a key difference with this is that besides the significant increase in focusing points it also has its own dedicated processor. Due
...Show more

Ahh, so it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Mar 30, 2017 at 05:33 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Howard Kearley wrote:

Hello
Question details:
Response from John M
Dear Howard,

The AF engine in the D5 and D500 has changed significantly to the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module, a key difference with this is that besides the significant increase in focusing points it also has its own dedicated processor. Due
...Show more

Well, that's just danged informative. It's all clear to me now!!!

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:10 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

In other words, AF in the D500 and D5 is declared to be "As Designed" by Nikon so we just have to learn how to use it as it is — or use a different camera.

Mar 30, 2017 at 09:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password