New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       end

UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Robert Dull

Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Anyone tell me on here what D72 and D153 does as I can't see it doing anything better / different to D9 / D25?
(unless you point to the sky)

On the the old dynamic the higher number of points made a difference and could be of some help, whats the point of D72 / D153 on the new system? if they worked as in the past happy days I could understand but now I wonder why they are on the camera.

both photos I posted Howard were 72 pointHave yet to use 153 point as I don't need it for these situations but am going to give it a go soon. Hopefully you noticed that the camera wasn't pointed at the sky first,I also hope you noticed(not that it's terribly important) to quell the thought of the camera not having a valid target in the background,which it DID in the bottom photo, it did NOT shift focus to that target,so your "at the sky" offering is thrown out the window and the outer points work.

Jul 04, 2017 at 09:49 PM
T-O Shooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Robert Dull wrote:
Anyone tell me on here what D72 and D153 does as I can't see it doing anything better / different to D9 / D25?

On the the old dynamic the higher number of points made a difference and could be of some help, whats the point of D72 / D153 on the new system? if they worked as in the past happy days I could understand but now I wonder why they are on the camera.

both photos I posted Howard were 72 pointHave yet to use 153 point as I don't need it
...Show more

I'll give you a "nice dog" That's about it. Not sure that what's under your outer focus point is enough to throw off focus. And I know you're all yay, yay about the new camera, and it's a nice camera, but...........

You came from a D7000. That's going to yay, yay ya anyway. If Dynamic worked properly you'd be YAY, YAY about the AF. See the difference?

Again, nice dog.

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Robert Dull wrote:

both photos I posted Howard were 72 pointHave yet to use 153 point as I don't need it
...Show more

Looking at your two dog photos....first there is no way to tell if the centre point was still active and predictive AF was still keeping the dog in focus OR the assist points were active. You were surely not into the 72 point range of points and only into the 25 point box either way. You can check in the EXIF to see which focus point was active.

The thing is I can post 1000s of tack sharp focus shots shot with the focus point no where near the subject using single point. The way AF works, you can just as easily have an OOF shot show the active AF point right over the subjects eye as you can have a tack sharp shot with the focus point out on the sky totally outside the group of points. Checking the EXIF to see what point the camera was using in the dog shots would make more of an argument but even then it means nothing.

What is important is that it is working for your shooting. Dynamic works for my BIF shooting also. However so does single point and that is the point I keep trying to make....I'm not seeing a benefit from using the wider Dynamic modes vs single point so I wish they gave me a different behaviour that would make them a more different option over single point.

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Robert Dull

p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Looking at your two dog photos....first there is no way to tell if the centre point was still active and predictive AF was still keeping the dog in focus OR the assist points were active. You were surely not into the 72 point range of points and only into the 25 point box either way. You can check in the EXIF to see which focus point was active.

yes these are valid points,have a suggest on what exif viewer that would give me
that

The thing is I can post 1000s of tack sharp focus shots shot with the focus point no where near the subject using single point. The way AF works, you can just as easily have an OOF shot show the active AF point right over the subjects eye as you can have a tack sharp shot with the focus point out on the sky totally outside the group of points. Checking the EXIF to see what point the camera was using in the dog shots would make more of an argument but even then it means nothing.

Yep again have seen this also. Yes checking the exif could mean nothing on both sides of the argument I would think,but a compelling one. I will certainly be happy to try single,etc in the same scenario and see what happens.

What is important is that it is working for your shooting. Dynamic works for my BIF shooting also. However so does single point and that is the point I keep trying to make....I'm not seeing a benefit from using the wider Dynamic modes vs single point so I wish they gave me a different behaviour that would make them a more different option over single point.

And that's what is most important isn't it? Thanks for making an argument without the put downs,name calling,assumptions,etc quite refreshing and will always look at others opinions/thoughts when that crap isn't involved,it's offensive and childish and nothing is gained by it. Let me know what exif tool ok and will get back to you.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Robert Dull wrote:

yes these are valid points,have a suggest on what exif viewer that would give me
that

The thing is I can post 1000s of tack sharp focus shots shot with the focus point
...Show more

I will try to find the reference to how Steve and Snapsy were able to see what point was being used. It is talked about much earlier in this thread. Unfortunately Nikon stopped it from showing the point used in Dynamic like it used to on the older system.

EDIT: Found it....it is a bit complicated and I haven't tried it myself but here is snapsy's post:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1478115/7#13962154

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Robert Dull

p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

ok got it on my computer,the top shot was E9 which is center and the bottom shot was G9,so an outer,be nice to have a map of the points. My eyes though,lol,reading all the lines to find it. This app really gives you the complete
info

Jul 05, 2017 at 03:41 AM
smkunder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Well I think this one (thread) has gone on a bit long at least for me.

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:27 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password