FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       end

UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Also if the subject wears a cap, group area AF would easily focus on the tip of the cap rather than the face, whereas with 9-point dynamic I didn't get that kind of errors.
Unless you're shooting inside 30' there should be enough DOF to have BOTH in sharp focus (300 f4 on FX)
A fine tune might be in order, I'd consider that BEFORE blaming Group AF...just sayin'

May 15, 2017 at 01:30 PM
ilkka_nissila

Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

trenchmonkey wrote:
Unless you're shooting inside 30' there should be enough DOF to have BOTH in sharp focus (300 f4 on FX)
A fine tune might be in order, I'd consider that BEFORE blaming Group AF...just sayin'

Right, but I continue shooting as the subject comes closer. Most of my shots are on both sides of 7m distance which allows me to fill the frame with the top half of the body of a single runner. Less clutter. I do shoot some full body shots as well but tend to prefer the shots which are a bit closer.

If the camera aims to focus on the tip of the cap, that might be 5-9cm in front of the eyes. However, there is variation in focus from shot to shot which means that some shots will be front-focused more than the distance between the front edge of the cap and the eyes (and some less). As the face moves up and down due to the running action, the cap, face, or collar of the shirt could all attract the attention of the focus system. In my experience 9-pt group on the D5 seems best fit for this situation in the way that I shoot it. If this mode were not available I'd likely use group area or single point as I've done with the D810.

To get the chest, the face and the cap all in focus in as many shots as possible, one would need to go with f/8 or thereabouts. With 400mm I've shot at f/8 and it looks pretty decent but it is more enjoyable for me to shoot with something I can hand hold easily. When using shorter lenses, I prefer to use wider apertures for background blur. If I'm not mistaken I think the official shooters are requested to shoot at f/8 and aim for the number in the shirt. This would certainly give consistency but would not be my personal preference.

I am not blaming the camera or Group area AF for anything. I'm just describing what kind of experiences I've had. The shooter is responsible, not the camera.

May 15, 2017 at 02:46 PM
ariot
• •
p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

anyone know if Steve got all this into his new Nikon guide available on his site? Thanks.

May 18, 2017 at 12:17 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

ariot wrote:
anyone know if Steve got all this into his new Nikon guide available on his site? Thanks.

Thanks for the interest Yes, the new Nikon AF guide does cover it (and lots more of course ) but what's on the top of page 9 of this thread is about the same as what's in the book as far as the D5/D500's Dynamic AF.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1478115/8

May 18, 2017 at 06:26 PM
ariot
• •
p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · UPDATE - Nikon D5/D500 Dynamic AF Issue

Steve Perry wrote:
Thanks for the interest Yes, the new Nikon AF guide does cover it (and lots more of course ) but what's on the top of page 9 of this thread is about the same as what's in the book as far as the D5/D500's Dynamic AF.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1478115/8

Thanks, I'll probably buy it in a fit of angst after looking through BIF shots this weekend. Hahaha.

May 18, 2017 at 06:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password