FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Mr.Gale
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

A friend and I decided to give Horsetail Falls a try this past week. This was my third attempt, the first about 5 or 6 years ago. We got there late last Wednesday (2/22/17) and there were a lot of photographers in the prime location but I managed find a spot were I could see the falls. It was cloudy driving there so I was shocked when the falls lite up, this is an example. It's okay, but not the best composition. The next day we returned about 9:00 in the morning and found an excellent spot, it was clear and we were very optimistic that at sunset it would again lite up the falls. We hung out all day but unfortunately at around 5:30 when the sun sets, it was cloudy and no sun hit the falls. I will never try it again, we set around all day freezing and being very bored, not fun. My friend stay Friday night and said there were hundreds of cars parked everywhere bring traffic to a stand still.

Mr.G

© Mr.Gale 2017

Feb 28, 2017 at 02:02 PM
salamander1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

lovely!

Feb 28, 2017 at 03:09 PM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Very nice! I know it is frustrating to fight all the photographers at some sites now, but you did get a great image.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob

Feb 28, 2017 at 03:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

That's a nice shot of it. As you found out on Thursday, Horsetail Falls lighting up can be quite elusive, that's why its even more special when one can capture it.

As for the crowds, the traffic is not brought to a standstill. They close one lane for parking, and on the right lane is through traffic, which does move. And as to the crowds, it's too bad you were bored, but I would say that's more on you then the situation.

While I love shooting in Solitude, I also look forward to shooting at Horsetail as I did on Saturday surrounded by tons of people. It's an awesome social event. People sharing food, sharing stories, getting to meet new people, I enjoy it immensely. There is an atmosphere there that just isn't duplicated in many other locals, and none that come to mind. Other places can be crowded for sure, with lot's of people but there is something special about the crowd that gathers at Horsetail.

But if having a fun social time hanging out isn't for you, that's fine, don't go again. But I know I plan on going over and over.

Jim

Feb 28, 2017 at 04:53 PM
boomertim1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Awesome shot from an amazing spot Mr. G! Steve Kossack and I produced a segment about this on his Yosemite in the Winter video. Don't want to break any rules about posting here ... but if anyone is interested they can check it out. There is a fee for downloading the video ... but it's a great place to learn about how to capture this!

I won't post a link ... but you can find it by searching his name and clicking on the Blog page.

Tim

Mar 02, 2017 at 09:50 AM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

salamander1 wrote:
lovely!

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------

JimFox wrote:
That's a nice shot of it. As you found out on Thursday, Horsetail Falls lighting up can be quite elusive, that's why its even more special when one can capture it.

As for the crowds, the traffic is not brought to a standstill. They close one lane for parking, and on the right lane is through traffic, which does move. And as to the crowds, it's too bad you were bored, but I would say that's more on you then the situation.

While I love shooting in Solitude, I also look forward to shooting at Horsetail as I did on Saturday
...Show more
I don't understand why you commented the way you did, but whatever.

boomertim1 wrote:
Awesome shot from an amazing spot Mr. G! Steve Kossack and I produced a segment about this on his Yosemite in the Winter video. Don't want to break any rules about posting here ... but if anyone is interested they can check it out. There is a fee for downloading the video ... but it's a great place to learn about how to capture this!

I won't post a link ... but you can find it by searching his name and clicking on the Blog page.

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

Mar 02, 2017 at 02:32 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

it's a beauty MrG

Mar 04, 2017 at 04:36 AM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

kmunroe wrote:
it's a beauty MrG

Thank you, kmunroe.

Mar 04, 2017 at 08:19 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

i like this one.

I was in yosemite for this event in 2013, and it was the same way. For the amount of time i was there, i figured i would explore the park versus staying out in one spot for hours. and it is ok to not enjoy shooting with 200 other people, i am with you!

if you ever want to try to shoot mesa arch at sunrise, go in the winter. It is a ghost town, and it is spectacular!

Mar 06, 2017 at 09:34 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Like this a lot. The snow adds a nice touch to an already iconic location.

Mar 07, 2017 at 03:02 PM
procam11
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Beautiful image!

Mike

Mar 07, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Mr.Gale
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Dustin Gent wrote:
i like this one.
Thank you, Dustin.

I was in yosemite for this event in 2013, and it was the same way. For the amount of time i was there, i figured i would explore the park versus staying out in one spot for hours. and it is ok to not enjoy shooting with 200 other people, i am with you!

if you ever want to try to shoot mesa arch at sunrise, go in the winter. It is a ghost town, and it is spectacular!

Thanks! I remember years ago I lugged my 4x5 up to Mesa Arch for sunset. Right at sunset a family decided they wanted to stand under the arch for a photo, I yelled at them at the top of my voice "get f... out of there!". It is not in my nature to react like that but some people just don't think about anyone but them self's. There were probably 50 people waiting, with cameras ready for sunset.

JameelH wrote:
Like this a lot. The snow adds a nice touch to an already iconic location.

Thanks!

procam11 wrote:
Beautiful image.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Mar 09, 2017 at 04:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Another beauty from Horsetail Falls. I really like the atmosphere on the top contrasting with the fire of light.
Congrats on the capture!
Fred

Mar 09, 2017 at 10:55 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Horsetail Falls - Yosemite

Just beautiful , this is an mazing shot.

Marcelo

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.