New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 600II vs 400DOII...

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600II vs 400DOII...

This was just another series of shots I took while bored out of my mind at the eagle nest with no eagles on it...

This day was a comparison between 600II and 400DOII at 600/560 vs 800/840....the ones presented here are equal apertures. I tried very hard to keep the 1DX2 positioned at the same place when swapping the lenses over but it may have been off by a centimetre or two.

I have RAW files uploaded here which contain more apertures and the 600 at 1200mm just for kicks. Not sure if anyone is interested in these types of comparisons. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2o5y8Q0KlgVWS0zUVk5QjJIeHc

I noticed that when either lens was stopped down the image was brighter than the wide open version even though SS was changed to get the same exposure.... So maybe not the lens but the stopping down that didn't lose a stop of the SS change wasn't perfectly a stop in reality

In the 4 images below we are seeing a stopped down 600 vs wide open 400 and the exposures look brighter on the 600. But the wide open 600 shots have the same exposure as the wide open 400 shots and the stopped down 400 shots have the same exposure as the stopped down 600 shots....weird

Feb 27, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600II vs 400DOII...

Thanks. I played around with the 400 DO and 2X

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600II vs 400DOII...

Thank you for taking the time to do the test. Now, what are your test results and conclusions ?

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600II vs 400DOII...

So what was your assessment Geoff, bit hard to tell on my iPad 2, 400II seems to hold up pretty well at least for static subjects. Contrast looks a bit better on 600II but also interesting to note that the blur circles as witnessed by the OOF highlights in background are larger in the case of the 600 II even at same aperture. The physical aperture is larger in the 600 and the blur circle diameter is ~ aperture diameter and magnification. The larger faster 600 demolishes backgrounds better and TC's won't get you back to level playground with the 400, although this is. A minor concern if the background is well past the DoF region.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:11 AM
Pixphatic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600II vs 400DOII...

Thanks for the test Geoff.....The 600+1.4X looks best to me on my PC, although I'm sure, a cropped (equivalent) of the bare 600 would give a pretty close result. 400DO images are good, but are easily distinguishable.
The surroundings ( i.e. excessive whites from the snow) might well be the culprit for the enigma of the f-stops-brightness-ss.

on a lighter note....your teddy images are not less appealing than your bird ones....

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600II vs 400DOII...

PetKal wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to do the test. Now, what are your test results and conclusions ?

I'm impressed with that combo. Looked sharp to me. Taking a serious look at that combo.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:43 AM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600II vs 400DOII...

Heyy Geoff .. Interesting comparison and very insightful! That 400DO really rocks... No wonder you sing its praises.
Cheers

LuckyT

Say .. whats the Bear's name? I bet his fingers (paws) don't get cold out there and dang .. you're sensor has spots! mine too!

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:43 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600II vs 400DOII...

PetKal wrote:

My only conclusions are that both lenses rock....so all that matters is what lens is best for the job based on light gathering ability (one stop advantage to the 600) versus size and weight (the advantage of the 400).

Also that when stopping a full stop down I can probably only drop my SS by 2/3rds or up my ISO by 2/3rds instead of a full stop.

Feb 28, 2017 at 08:28 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600II vs 400DOII...

LuckyStrike wrote:
Heyy Geoff .. Interesting comparison and very insightful! That 400DO really rocks... No wonder you sing its praises.
Cheers

LuckyT

Say .. whats the Bear's name? I bet his fingers (paws) don't get cold out there and dang .. you're sensor has spots! mine too!

I have not named this Red Panda....I have two of them compliments of Telus when they opened a store here in Whitehorse and were giving these out like candy!! Make for a decent test subject and a little padding in my camera bag at the same time. I do have some real feathers now (from babysitting a green-cheek conure) that I may add to this panda to be able to check resolution of a finer object

Feb 28, 2017 at 08:30 AM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600II vs 400DOII...

I could use that bear in Yellowstone when I am pointing at a bird nest and people ask where is the Bear ??-
good comparison - I Have the DO and really like it - sold my older 500 is and the DO is so nice for carrying around

Mar 01, 2017 at 03:26 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600II vs 400DOII...

marcy45 wrote:
I could use that bear in Yellowstone when I am pointing at a bird nest and people ask where is the Bear ??-
good comparison - I Have the DO and really like it - sold my older 500 is and the DO is so nice for carrying around

In that case tell them that the bear flew away with a humming in is mouth.

Francois

Mar 01, 2017 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.