Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads
  
 
NCAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


jlafferty wrote:
I appreciate that everyone is offering their friendly advice and looking to raise my awareness of possibilities. I honestly already understood "fill a large space" as the main advantage of the ELB. Access to their modifiers is another. HS looks nice but TBH I haven't hit my head against the limitations of HSS to know their was a problem before checking out their demo.

But at 9.5lb-10lb for the pack (battery depending), around 5lb per head? 250 or 400 full power shots per charge at 1.7secs recycling? It's just, as I said before "OK" in the current climate. If this came
...Show more

I agree. I'm not sure what my next light will be yet. It won't be the ELB 1200 I'm sure, for the reasons you mention. TBH I am leaning to the B1 or one of the Chinese variants. The ease of setup and lack of wires is appealing. TTL isn't necessary but it can be nice to have for some shoots. I like how Profoto keeps the power setting from TTL when switching to manual.



Mar 04, 2017 at 03:20 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


Maybe therein lies the challenge for Elinchrom, being mid-tier in a market that has many attracted down in price point to the feature rich Chinese offerings, yet not high end enough for those favoring Profoto or Bron...

I like my ELB 400 but to a degree it was a splurge when that money could have bought 3x Godox 600s. And I'm definitely not in the Profoto niche of the market.



Mar 04, 2017 at 03:48 PM
NCAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


rscheffler wrote:
Maybe therein lies the challenge for Elinchrom, being mid-tier in a market that has many attracted down in price point to the feature rich Chinese offerings, yet not high end enough for those favoring Profoto or Bron...

I like my ELB 400 but to a degree it was a splurge when that money could have bought 3x Godox 600s. And I'm definitely not in the Profoto niche of the market.


I thought the ELB 400 was where I would end up but the B1 is right around the same cost with the free air remote. There's no right answer for everyone obviously. But I have to think both these manufacturers are feeling the competition from the Chinese knockoffs.



Mar 04, 2017 at 04:21 PM
jlafferty
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


"Chinese knockoffs" feels pretty derogatory and I'm wondering how long it will be before, or if ever, that idea will fade. It's not like putting a tube, capacitors and a power source together is an idea owned by any one person, and there are only so many ways you can configure things and have them function properly. The function dictates many of these things end up looking the same. I get that the Godox Witstro is a close copy of the Quantums, the Jinbei a close copy of the B1 (I think I've got that right). But... Godox and SMDV are actually bringing new ideas, form factors and functionality to the table in the vacuum of other manufacturers doing nothing. I'm pleased by that - it's exciting because it opens up great creative possibilities.

I'm also a bit suspicious of the "Chinese knockoff" narrative as there are plenty of opportunities to throw similar or exactly the same accusations at other manufacturers and yet people don't really do it. Is Broncolor the original and Briese the copier, or is it the other way around? Do you see people making much of the fact that Profoto gets a healthy subsidy from its home turf and this, in part, accounts for market prevalence in the US? So why do we so casually make remarks about Chinese manufacturers? If you want to talk about worker rights and wages by all means I'm game, but I don't think it's so simple or reductive as it's made to be. It all feels a bit like a retread of the "no self respecting American would buy one of these small Japanese cars" thing that happened here in the 60's/70's.



Mar 04, 2017 at 06:16 PM
NCAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


jlafferty wrote:
"Chinese knockoffs" feels pretty derogatory and I'm wondering how long it will be before, or if ever, that idea will fade. It's not like putting a tube, capacitors and a power source together is an idea owned by any one person, and there are only so many ways you can configure things and have them function properly. The function dictates many of these things end up looking the same. I get that the Godox Witstro is a close copy of the Quantums, the Jinbei a close copy of the B1 (I think I've got that right). But... Godox and SMDV
...Show more

I suppose my comment was a bit harsh, but some of these units look very similar to the originals. There are some differences of course in function. Either way I stand corrected in my use of the blanket term. I think the competition is good for everyone. I'm still considering one of the less expensive lights but my concern is with future service and warranty and so I'd probably buy one re-branded and sold through a store like Adorama or B&H if I do so.



Mar 04, 2017 at 07:57 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


Going through Adorama is IMO the best solution because they will be the ones providing product support and repair domestically instead of forcing you to send gear to China for servicing. Without Adorama, at the price point, it's more like a disposable product where you have to be comfortable taking the risk of minimal to no support in exchange for a very attractive price/performance ratio.

I suppose that is a chunk of the price you pay for Elinchrom, Profoto, etc. - the reputation of the brand to stand behind their products in support of more demanding users.



Mar 04, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Helen Oster
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


rscheffler wrote:
Going through Adorama is IMO the best solution because they will be the ones providing product support and repair domestically instead of forcing you to send gear to China for servicing. ....


Indeed!





Mar 05, 2017 at 10:16 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


Just had a look at B&H and Adorama ELB 1200 pricing. The pack with battery is $3050, pack without battery is $2450 and heads are $900. Kits start at $3500. The small 'Air' battery is $400 while the 'HD' battery is $550. Not sure if these are out in the wild yet...

Anyway, at this price point, I doubt I will be in the market for one.



Apr 17, 2017 at 07:35 AM
bgateb760
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


rscheffler wrote:
Just had a look at B&H and Adorama ELB 1200 pricing. The pack with battery is $3050, pack without battery is $2450 and heads are $900. Kits start at $3500. The small 'Air' battery is $400 while the 'HD' battery is $550. Not sure if these are out in the wild yet...

Anyway, at this price point, I doubt I will be in the market for one.


That's pretty attractive pricing for something like this. the other alternative, which I own a pair of, are the Bron move packs which cost more than twice as much. They do offer full asymmetry, though. I never liked Elinchrom's caveats when it came to power distribution.



Apr 24, 2017 at 05:27 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads


Yes, true. I guess it depends on which end of the market you're coming from. It seems Elinchrom wants to be the affordable alternative to Bron and Profoto. I'd like to see a lithium battery solution that narrows the gap with the Chinese brands.

It would be nice to have full asymmetry, but at least they've included 1:1 in addition to 2:1, from my understanding.



Apr 24, 2017 at 05:31 PM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password