New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

FYI: Elinchrom ELB 1200 system

Also posted at Lighting Rumors.

Basic details:

1200J generator pack powered from a user-switchable lithium ion battery. The system supports two flash heads with symmetrical 1:1 or asymmetrical 2:1 energy ratios. Minimum flash power is 7 or 14 joules, depending on whether one or two heads are being used. A 2.4GHz Skyport radio receiver is built in. At full power, the generator recycles in 3.0 seconds, or 1.7 seconds in “fast” mode. There is a USB port for firmware updates.

Three new flash heads are available: the Pro, Hi-Sync and Action. All three include powerful 50-watt LED modelling lamps (4000lm daylight-balanced, 92 CRI output) which are dimmable and suitable for video lighting. They are fan-cooled but the fan can be disabled when shooting video. Each head weights 2.2 kg.

Two different batteries are on offer, too. You can opt for the standard Battery Air (1.1 kg), or the optional, greater-capacity Battery HD (‘heavy duty’, 1.5kg). According to the manufacturer, they will support 215 and 400 full-power flashes, respectively, from a single charge, or 80 mins / 120 minutes of continuous lighting from the LED modelling lamp.

The lightest ELB 1200 kit will weigh 6.5 kg, which includes the 3.2 kg generator, the 1.1 kg Battery Air and a 2.2 kg flash head — possibly not including the weight of cables and modifiers.

Price TBD, availability ~mid-2017.

Feb 27, 2017 at 01:02 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Ooh that is sweet, can't wait to see pricing.

Feb 28, 2017 at 01:43 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Sweet indeed. All the more so as Elinchrom slowly stumbles toward more appealing industrial design. That is one clean pack.

Feb 28, 2017 at 04:09 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Be nice if it was backwards compatible

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

I like the compact-size lights. And it seem that they can handle large modifiers.

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

You can only make stuff backward compatible for so long. The newer and better connectors, canceling, LED modeling lights, lighter weights heads, software compatibility, etc. are just better. They won't stay in business selling replacement packs forever.

Mar 01, 2017 at 05:33 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

These look great but I'm not sure I need this much light or weight in a portable system. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the capacity but for senior shoots I think it may be more than I need. I can see it opening up lots of possibilities for shots but so many of these types of jobs are fast moving, just me and a parent. Probably the ELB 400 would work better for my everyday use. As is now I get by with a couple speedlights and picking the time of day. If I need more light I bring an Einstein and VML along which I'd rather not have to do.

It seems tech in lighting is moving quickly now. Batteries are getting better, LEDs are becoming more useful, and eventually global shutters will be available so HSS or HS will be but a fond memory. The ELB 1200 looks interesting though. I expect another 1 2/3 stop of useful light in HS mode over the 400.

Mar 01, 2017 at 09:36 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

The 400 is perfect for what you want to do. I do all my graduation, senior, engagement,etc. stuff with Quadra and one head, indoor and out The 1200 would be great for running two heads at 600 watts each for larger group shots, outdoor with Hi-Sync and small apertures, long distance sports shots, medium, format work, etc.

Mar 01, 2017 at 10:47 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Even as a Profoto shooter, I'm glad to see my preferring form of lighting—pack and head—to be alive and kicking. I use a 600J battery pack in the studio to reduce wiring clutter, and 1200J would be even better. Lack of full A/B asymmetry seems an odd limitation in 2017.

Mar 02, 2017 at 03:19 AM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

rico wrote:
Lack of full A/B asymmetry seems an odd limitation in 2017.

Maybe it's partly related to the weight of the pack ? It seems that pack weight was a crucial factor in Elinchrom's design, and it's just 4kg with the air battery, which is 2/3 the weight of a Move pack (head is 500g heavier though). I don't know of any 1200Ws pack that's as light as the ELB1200.
Or maybe Elinchrom doesn't have the know-how yet or considers the trade-offs unwelcomed, I don't know.
As far as I'm concerned it's a deal-breaker but I guess a lot of use cases Elinchrom wants to address may only require one head most of the time.

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

"As far as I'm concerned it's a deal-breaker but I guess a lot of use cases Elinchrom wants to address may only require one head most of the time."

I would venture to say whether Elinchrom or Profoto most photographers only use one head.

Mar 02, 2017 at 09:01 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

With the Quadra/ELB 400, I only use two heads on one pack when doing a three-light portrait: main, background and hair. The background and hair light are on one pack, the main on its own. In a pinch I've done basic two-light portraits from one pack, but prefer to have the background on a separate pack to better dial in exactly the amount of light I need. Anyway, I was kind of surprised to see the 1200 is a symmetrical pack. But I can appreciate its usefulness, such as the group photo scenario where you might want to run two heads off one pack with a bit of extension cable, one on each side. Or rim/edge/cross lighting where you want equal output. It could keep the number of packs in check. That said, with the price of single head Quadra kits occasionally at B&H for ~$650, you could probably get four for what the 1200 will cost. At that price, you can get three for the cost of an ELB 400 and head...

I've been using the Quadra since 2009 and not too often have I needed more than 400W/s, at least for individuals or couples. OK, the odd group photo for which I'll bring an Einstein and Vagabond Mini or two. But usually the Quadra is at 100W/s or less, even for event coverage (I'll often use them with soft silver PCB PLMs for better efficiency throwing light some distance).

Due to this, I was hoping to see Elinchrom release a smaller battery powered solution. Self-contained would be OK too, because there are times when I'd rather skip the additional set up time of a pack & head system but want more output than a speedlight. The new Godox 200W/s unit looks interesting for this, though means yet another unique radio trigger system.

Mar 03, 2017 at 05:47 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

TBH in the current climate it feels like a case of too little too late. I guess if you're carrying a lot of legacy Elinchrom stuff around it offers something but for most other uses I'm still trying to figure out what, exactly. Who's clamoring for 1200ws packaged in an old and clumsy form factor in the era of HSS and sensors that comfortably turn out clean photos at 1000-1600 ISO?

Mar 03, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Yes you can shoot at high ISO's if need to but lower IDO's are always better. Unless you like noise for some specific reason.. Not to mention less overall color and saturation performance. I'll take the greater WS to shoot at low ISO's any day..

Mar 03, 2017 at 08:58 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

A more high powered strobe doesn't mean low ISOs are inevitable unless you're in studio, in which case you wouldn't reach for this Elinchrom anyway. It's designed for location work where, mixing with ambient usually means lower power isn't just desired, but necessary, making a relatively heavy and high powered pack a moot point.

Mar 03, 2017 at 10:29 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

What we don't have access to is Elinchrom's sales information for the Ranger RX Speed AS. Given they've produced the ELB 1200, they must feel there is some demand for such a refresh at half the weight and nearly 2x faster recycling time.

The majority of my Quadra use is on-location studio type work where it is the only light source, much of the rest is events. Maybe not what everyone immediately thinks is the forte of a compact pack & head battery powered system. But often I'm working in areas with inconvenient power access. Not having to run extension cords saves time and reduces the bulk of what I have to carry. Plus, I can use the same equipment in locations that truly are 'in the wild' away from power sources.

Thinking about this more, a benefit of the 1200 (for my style of shooting) may in fact be using it at half, quarter and lower power. I'm not sure how it will affect flash duration, but it would mean sub one second recycle times in situations where the ELB 400, Quadra or other lower powered units will take noticeably longer. And on the other hand, have 1200W/s available when needed. That said, I doubt I will get one.

Mar 04, 2017 at 12:26 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

1200J is entry-level energy when you need to overpower the ambient, and replace it with your own light. My shooting space is 240 sq.ft. with nasty fluorescents at 7 EV, but I overpower them with 1200J and enjoy ISO 100 @ f/5.6. I can shoot groups with this pure-spectrum fill infusing the entire space, while concentrating on key placement. The fluorescents remain useful to keep eyes from dilating. The same technique is applicable on location and freedom from outlets is really nice.

(Magnum key.)

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:49 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

Nice work

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:59 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

jlafferty wrote:
A more high powered strobe doesn't mean low ISOs are inevitable unless you're in studio, in which case you wouldn't reach for this Elinchrom anyway. It's designed for location work where, mixing with ambient usually means lower power isn't just desired, but necessary, making a relatively heavy and high powered pack a moot point.

I would use 1200WS to shoot hi-sync at wide open aperture but fast ss. HS is more efficient than HSS and would allow lighting a larger group or using the light farther away and out of the frame of a full length environmental portrait. It would also allow the use of larger more light sucking modifiers. All while using a low ISO for the best IQ. The size and weight of the system probably isn't the best for run and gun lighting but in more deliberate shoots it could come in handy.

Mar 04, 2017 at 03:46 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New: Elinchrom ELB 1200 pack and heads

I appreciate that everyone is offering their friendly advice and looking to raise my awareness of possibilities. I honestly already understood "fill a large space" as the main advantage of the ELB. Access to their modifiers is another. HS looks nice but TBH I haven't hit my head against the limitations of HSS to know their was a problem before checking out their demo.

But at 9.5lb-10lb for the pack (battery depending), around 5lb per head? 250 or 400 full power shots per charge at 1.7secs recycling? It's just, as I said before "OK" in the current climate. If this came out when everyone was clamoring to get their 7b's converted to lithium it would have been AMAZING but… today? It just sits somewhere vaguely in the pack of the options at the center of the power output-weight-shots per charge Venn diagram. And that space is crowded. Factoring in cost puts it out of reach for a lot of people :/

Mar 04, 2017 at 02:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password